NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cook's 2017 just for reference:  

This is pretty vague, lots of different league sizes out there.  Maybe a TE2 in 10 teamers.  Definitely in the low-end TE1 discussion in 12+ teams.     Speaking of convenient argument

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Has he made the leap into that tier with Kelce, Gronk, Ertz?

He’s the most consistent receiver on that team and is their best red zone threat.

Nope.  He needs to show these types of numbers and consistency for the rest of the season to be considered for that tier.  

I think he has a chance to... just too early to put him in with those guys.

Edited by ColoWrex
8 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Has he made the leap into that tier with Kelce, Gronk, Ertz?

He’s the most consistent receiver on that team and is their best red zone threat.

No, he would be around the Olsen and Walker tier if they were still playing. I would probably put Kittle over Cook as well in addition to the three elite guys. So I would place Cook in the top 5-8 for the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, munde53 said:

No, he would be around the Olsen and Walker tier if they were still playing. I would probably put Kittle over Cook as well in addition to the three elite guys. So I would place Cook in the top 5-8 for the rest of the season.

Out of curiosity, why Kittle over Cook?  I feel like Cook has the higher ceiling but maybe a lower floor.  

Just now, ColoWrex said:

Out of curiosity, why Kittle over Cook?  I feel like Cook has the higher ceiling but maybe a lower floor.  

You basically hit the nail on the head with the floor aspect but I think Kittle has an equally high ceiling. I also think Kittle is the better talent and will be the focal point of his offense's passing attack from week to week. I think Cook will still be very boom or bust (as most TEs are) going forward as the Raiders seem to be using a different receiver as the focal point of the passing game each week depending on their opponent. There is also the 9 previous years of Cook's career that makes me weary of believing in any kind of consistency. That being said I can also see legitimate reasons why this season may be different and why Cook may actually be putting together a career year. 

I own Cook in two of my three leagues and I own Kittle in the other so I like both players but I still favor Kittle. Granted at the end of the year I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Cook finished ahead of him (Kittle).

• Like 1

What is this guys trade value like? TD upside may not be as high as the Gronk, Kelce and Ertz but looks like his catches, yards and targets will be right up there with them and seems like a lock to be top 5 imo and could easily slip into top 3 especially if you factor in Gronk and Ertz's injury history making them likely to miss a game or two. 

Edited by Jaw1
22 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

What is this guys trade value like? TD upside may not be as high as the Gronk, Kelce and Ertz but looks like his catches, yards and targets will be right up there with them and seems like a lock to be top 5 imo and could easily slip into top 3 especially if you factor in Gronk and Ertz's injury history making them likely to miss a game or two. 

He's certainly not a lock to finish top 5.

His trade value isn't going to be too high because people know what Jared Cook has been the past 10 years. I have him in one league, and I'm not even trying to trade him because nobody will give up anything good.

3 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

His trade value isn't going to be too high because people know what Jared Cook has been the past 10 years. I have him in one league, and I'm not even trying to trade him because nobody will give up anything good.

He has been disappointing in the past but the guy has always been talented and had elite games surrounded by a ton of duds. Has he ever gotten 8 targets like he has been getting and led his team in targets, catches and yards (even over only a 4 game span)? He is being used like the WR1 on this offense and my hope is this sort of value will raise his floor and make those big games more frequent.

I'm not an owner but I'm considering trading for him.

42 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

His actual value is most likely higher than you would get in a trade.

11 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

He has been disappointing in the past but the guy has always been talented and had elite games surrounded by a ton of duds. Has he ever gotten 8 targets like he has been getting and led his team in targets, catches and yards (even over only a 4 game span)? He is being used like the WR1 on this offense and my hope is this sort of value will raise his floor and make those big games more frequent.

I'm not an owner but I'm considering trading for him.

He had 700 yards last year and 2 TDs... he's already got 380 this year and 2 TDs (could have easily been 4-5 TDs). Also he's almost got half of last year's targets over 4 games (86/35) and half of the receptions (54/26). Catch percentage is up from 62% to 74%. With numbers like this I've gotta think it's a lot to do with a scheme that is built to funnel passes to him. IIRC he's got a pretty favorable ROS schedule as well. Could be a Delanie Walker type season in that he finally is in the right place at the right time to break out.

Edit: Also he's a go to receiver in the red zone, seems to have taken the vacant Crabtree role. Things could obviously change but right now there are only a few guys who are playing better than he is.

Edited by RoboFroogs
17 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Chris Carson

1 minute ago, beerfish said:

No clue when/if it will end so I am just enjoying the ride. Like others have said, he has missed a few TD's by inches and seems to be the go to guy in the redzone.

And Amari is banged up too. Should only increase his role this weekend...

18 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

18 hours ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

I just traded him for Phil Lindsay straight up in .5 PPR.  I think i sold a little low but I like the upside with Lindsay and I needed RB depth and have Reed and Ebron,

I don't think that Cook will finish as the #1 TE but I think he can easily be top 5 with this start.  He is leading the team Redzone targets with 8 already this year, he only had 9 in all of 2017.  Carr definitely looks his way once he is down there.  He will continue to have TE1 upside as long as that doesn't change. 

18 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Trade value is likely to be low because he's not "supposed" to be top-5.  We saw this in 2015 when Gary Barnidge broke out.  Because he was a waiver wire guy and he was older and he wasn't a name like Jason Witten and he played on a horrible team, nobody wanted to give more than an RB3 for him.  All season people were waiting for the regression.  But if you rode him every week, he finished as the TE3 with 158 points, whereas Witten was the TE12 with 89 points.

This is the year to ride Cook rather than trade him.  Even if you have Gronk or Kelce, Cook is a valuable flex option and you have an every-week TE starter if one of the elite guys goes down.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Of course -- most of us don't have a choice right now lol

You right, I don’t have a choice either, I watched film and he lines up all over the place. I don’t see any regression happening barring injury. I believe hes the real deal and you shpuld ride the wave unless you get a good offer. I dont think its out the realm of possibilities that he finishes #1

• Like 1