NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Regarding trade value, I just finalized a trade for him--Breida for Cook full PPR. Literally everything he has done this season has given me confidence in his outlook, but yes he's still Jared Cook and it's not likely he finishes #1 after not getting close his previous 9 years in the league. Still, these TE breakouts do happen to veteran guys. Barnidge and Watson probably the most recent examples. With how weak the position is this year though I'm happy to have an investment in a guy that should finish top 5..

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cook's 2017 just for reference:  

This is pretty vague, lots of different league sizes out there.  Maybe a TE2 in 10 teamers.  Definitely in the low-end TE1 discussion in 12+ teams.     Speaking of convenient argument

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Regarding trade value, I just finalized a trade for him--Breida for Cook full PPR. Literally everything he has done this season has given me confidence in his outlook, but yes he's still Jared Cook and it's not likely he finishes #1 after not getting close his previous 9 years in the league. Still, these TE breakouts do happen to veteran guys. Barnidge and Watson probably the most recent examples. With how weak the position is this year though I'm happy to have an investment in a guy that should finish top 5..

TEs are mostly system dependent as well. It could simply be Gruden's scheme happens to match up perfectly with Cook this year.

45 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

I think you made out extremely well with Breida out of Cook....I know TEs are bleak this year but people are generally hesitant to give up much for a waiver wire TE as has been explained before. As I stated before an owner accepted Carson for Cook straight up this week although that owner was very weak at RB.

One trade value chart I see has him around the Crowell/Shady/Powell/Morris/Hines/Mike Williams while another has him around Drake/Ekeler/LindsayFreeman/Thompson/Agholor/Marvin Jones.

I'd guess his real value in a league is somewhere closer to the first bunch.

• Haha 1

For trade value I got him for Mike Williams at the start of week 3 before Williams' biggest game. I really think Cook pulls a "Barnkowski" and keeps this up throughout the year. I've watched every raiders game, he's getting peppered with targets and looks borderline unstoppable most of the time. There will be some meh games (which we should gladly take considering other options out there) like every TE, but the position is such a cesspool that I'd suggest holding on for dear life just so you don't have to go back to the leper colony that is the TE FA pool...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 12:13 PM, Wyzzil said:

For trade value I got him for Mike Williams at the start of week 3 before Williams' biggest game. I really think Cook pulls a "Barnkowski" and keeps this up throughout the year. I've watched every raiders game, he's getting peppered with targets and looks borderline unstoppable most of the time. There will be some meh games (which we should gladly take considering other options out there) like every TE, but the position is such a cesspool that I'd suggest holding on for dear life just so you don't have to go back to the leper colony that is the TE FA pool...

I hate seeing his name in my lineup, it just feels icky... but those 11 red zone targets in 5 games? I'm alright riding dirty... 

2 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

anyone dropping him for his bye week? 

Considering it now that I acquired Njoku. If Amari Cooper gets traded he becomes a little bit more interesting but the offense/Carr is way too inconsistent for my tastes. I didn't watch the game at all but I've been told that Cook had some wide open looks that Carr either didn't see him or was too busy getting sacked to get the ball to him... the opportunity is there. But man, Carr is terrible.

I picked this guy up as a TE2 in case Kelce went down or something but I increasingly am feeling this guy will be mediocre the rest of the way this year. Basically a return to what Jared Cook has been. 

Ive been hesitant to drop this week for a more interesting WR or RB though because afterall he and Carr do seem to have a bit of a connection and Cook seems to have a big place in this albeit terrible offense. 

Anybody care to weigh in on which take is closer to reality? 

44 minutes ago, MellamoMike said:

I picked this guy up as a TE2 in case Kelce went down or something but I increasingly am feeling this guy will be mediocre the rest of the way this year. Basically a return to what Jared Cook has been. 

Ive been hesitant to drop this week for a more interesting WR or RB though because afterall he and Carr do seem to have a bit of a connection and Cook seems to have a big place in this albeit terrible offense. 

Anybody care to weigh in on which take is closer to reality? 

Isn’t Amari banged up?   Cook is a lock in my lineup if that’s still the case.   Either way though, he’s a guy you want to find a spot for weekly.   Maybe not a must start like Gronk or Kelce but not far off. 

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Isn’t Amari banged up?   Cook is a lock in my lineup if that’s still the case.   Either way though, he’s a guy you want to find a spot for weekly.   Maybe not a must start like Gronk or Kelce but not far off. 

Concussion protocol. Two weeks is usually plenty of time for someone to get past that.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Concussion protocol. Two weeks is usually plenty of time for someone to get past that.

For sure but with all the trade rumors surrounding Cooper and/or the likelhood he gets injured again make what Impreza178 said something to ponder imo.

im still sorta leaning dropping him for someone like Mostert tho. It just feels like teams have started figuring out Cook is a threat for that offense and he won’t have any more big boom game, or very few. In all, not worth a hold. 

I can't afford to cut this guy. The position is trash. If he can get one good game every 2nd or 3rd dud, then he's already better than anything that's out there. It's so bad that I'm thinking of just leaving him in on bye because I know his replacement off the scrap heap will only get me 1 pt. I promised myself I'd never go digging in that pile of human filth. I will not. I won't. 

3 minutes ago, MellamoMike said:

For sure but with all the trade rumors surrounding Cooper and/or the likelhood he gets injured again make what Impreza178 said something to ponder imo.

im still sorta leaning dropping him for someone like Mostert tho. It just feels like teams have started figuring out Cook is a threat for that offense and he won’t have any more big boom game, or very few. In all, not worth a hold. 

For Mostert?  Duuuude 

If that’s the alternative— hard pass

2 minutes ago, MellamoMike said:

Likelihood of re-injury is pretty irrelevant in regards to a concussion. Anyone can get injured at any point, but once you're cleared from a concussion it's not like your head has a higher chance of exploding. 

As someone that has been scrambling to get a TE all year and just made a trade I may likely lose in a vacuum just to get Rudolph, I would advise holding Cook unless you have a better option already (at least through the deadline). And I'm not even a Cook fan.

Undroppable. He’s an inconsistent player tied to an inconsistent quarterback, but even if you have Kelce, you need to carry Cook in case of an injury. There’s nothing but garbage at the position on the wire in a way we’ve never seen before.

Edited by eg4190
  • Like 1