NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cook's 2017 just for reference:  

This is pretty vague, lots of different league sizes out there.  Maybe a TE2 in 10 teamers.  Definitely in the low-end TE1 discussion in 12+ teams.     Speaking of convenient argument

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly

Posted Images

1 minute ago, HTM said:

You seen the TEs on my ww?

Yes, I’m still starting Cook every game.

I have not, but good luck to you, sir.  I sense you will need it.

Just now, HTM said:

Thanks. I lead my league. TEs aren’t making or breaking many ppl.

Just trying to get a first-perspective sense of how owners feel about Cook after this game.  Maybe there is a buy-low opportunity to be had.

I’m not sure I agree with the making/breaking comment: in fact, I think elite TEs are one of the truest difference-makers to be found this year.

I am happy to hear you’re having a great season, though - keep up the good work!

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Just trying to get a first-perspective sense of how owners feel about Cook after this game.  Maybe there is a buy-low opportunity to be had.

I’m not sure I agree with the making/breaking comment: in fact, I think elite TEs are one of the truest difference-makers to be found this year.

I am happy to hear you’re having a great season, though - keep up the good work!

Elite TEs are 3rd round talents... Ertz/Kelce/Gronk

Cook was a late rounder/ww addition.

This game was a struggle but just last week was great.

Im sure I wont see you in here after a great game though.

• Thanks 1
Just now, HTM said:

Kittle was a late round guy and will finish with more points than Gronk 

2 minutes ago, HTM said:

George K has something to say about that

2 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

Kittle was a late round guy and will finish with more points than Gronk 

1 minute ago, Joe Odam said:

George K has something to say about that

Any other examples? Or just the 1 exception?

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This has been Cook so far this year. Either he gives you 2 pts or 20 pts. I'm ready to fire him up again next week

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, HTM said:

Gronk is pretty far from “elite” this year from a fantasy perspective.  Kittle was certainly not a third-rounder, nor was Ebron (who has been elite thus far) or Burton, who has been pretty close. 

Regardless of what round they were drafted, I think you missed my point that having an elite TE may very well be what distinguishes a championship team from a mere playoff team this year.

In any event, you decided not to answer my actual question.  I have nothing against Cook - I was trying to gauge how owners feel about him (and all Oakland skill players) for that matter moving forward.  

And I’ll be happy to ask the question again should Cook have another good game this year.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Gronk is pretty far from “elite” this year from a fantasy perspective.  Kittle was certainly not a third-rounder, nor was Ebron (who has been elite thus far) or Burton, who has been pretty close. 

Regardless of what round they were drafted, I think you missed my point that having an elite TE may very well be what distinguishes a championship team from a mere playoff team this year.

In any event, you decided not to answer my actual question.  I have nothing against Cook - I was trying to gauge how owners feel about him (and all Oakland skill players) for that matter moving forward.  

And I’ll be happy to ask the question again should Cook have another good game this year.

Im disappointed in tonights game but will continue starting him given the scarcity of good TEs.

There are very very few consistenly good TEs. 

Cook has been boom or bust. He is what he is. I don’t know that this game is particularly informative. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HTM said:

There are very very few consistenly good TEs. 

Appreciate the honest response.  I’d bet that most owners feel the same way, meaning he might be difficult to pry away.

Your observation above is exactly why I feel like TE could be a deciding factor in championships this season.

12 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

This has been Cook so far this year. Either he gives you 2 pts or 20 pts. I'm ready to fire him up again next week

That's pretty accurate. I dropped him earlier this year when he hit the bye.  He's most valuable when they get close to the end zone cuz Carr really looks for him in scoring position. 

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Appreciate the honest response.  I’d bet that most owners feel the same way, meaning he might be difficult to pry away.

Your observation above is exactly why I feel like TE could be a deciding factor in championships this season.

Maybe so.

Lots of folks in the same position though, not having a consistently reliable TE. 

Top 4 teams in my league are starting Cook, Hooper, Ebron and Reed. 

The dudes who spent 3rd round draft capital on Ertz or Kelce or whoever aren’t doing so hot.

if you found a Kittle great for you but theres only 1 of them. 

Just now, savagenatn said:

Playing from behind the entire GD game but still just 2/20? This is simply unbelievable. Still running the freaking ball down by 4 TD’s? What a disaster this “team” is. 

I watched the entire game. OAK offense was a complete disaster after the first drive. Cook only got points in the 1st drive I think. 

12 minutes ago, HTM said:

Maybe so.

Lots of folks in the same position though, not having a consistently reliable TE. 

Top 4 teams in my league are starting Cook, Hooper, Ebron and Reed. 

The dudes who spent 3rd round draft capital on Ertz or Kelce or whoever aren’t doing so hot.

if you found a Kittle great for you but theres only 1 of them. 

I wonder whether that is typical - in mine those teams are doing very well.  Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks for answering my question, though - I think the takeaway is Cook owners are probably still unwilling to part with him without a considerable return.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Just trying to get a first-perspective sense of how owners feel about Cook after this game.  

I have no idea why Gruden is pulling his starters with an ENTIRE QUARTER to play, could have been prime garbage time minutes for Cook. He's clearly trying to sabotage this team and tank. Im trying to move Cook along with either Sutton or Parker for Kittle or OJ Howard or Cook and Alshon Jefferey for Kelce. The guy with Kittle also has Ertz and the guy with Howard has Kelce. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

I have no idea why Gruden is pulling his starters with an ENTIRE QUARTER to play, could have been prime garbage time minutes for Cook. He's clearly trying to sabotage this team and tank. Im trying to move Cook along with either Sutton or Parker for Kittle or OJ Howard or Cook and Alshon Jefferey for Kelce. The guy with Kittle also has Ertz and the guy with Howard has Kelce. 

Cook owner here

I just dropped Mostert and picked up Jack Doyle... who was on the ww due to injury/the bye... not sure how this will shake out but another capable TE definitely feels necessary 

2 hours ago, HTM said:

Cook owner here

I just dropped Mostert and picked up Jack Doyle... who was on the ww due to injury/the bye... not sure how this will shake out but another capable TE definitely feels necessary 

Well done - if you had just mentioned earlier Jack Doyle was freely available in your league, I would have urged you to stop posting and run to pick him up!

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Burton just had 3 for 18 game vs the Jets and is behind Cook for total points on the season.  Please explain how he is close to elite. There are only 2 elite TE's(ertz and kelce) this year with Ebron right there when Doyle is out and possibly Kittle when healthy.  Besides that they all have a chance at games like this.

12 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Burton just had 3 for 18 game vs the Jets and is behind Cook for total points on the season.  Please explain how he is close to elite. There are only 2 elite TE's(ertz and kelce) this year with Ebron right there when Doyle is out and possibly Kittle when healthy.  Besides that they all have a chance at games like this.

Happy to: Burton the last four games prior to this one in PPR: 9.5, 16.6, 12.3, 29.5.

Youngrice, i now hit the ball over the net to you to explain how many TEs have been managing that over the past month.  Please cite more than five examples to prove your point.  And thank you in advance.

Just now, youngrice said:

5 examples?? There aren't 5 elite TE's???  Besides one week Burton is a TD dependent option that gets limited targets.  Hit it right back over the net.  Now please comeback with another stupid and condescending comment.  Even with this s---y game Cook averages a full point more per game then the "elite" trey burton.

Im not sure this response warrants it, sadly.  I asked you to prove your claim, and you couldn’t.  Done and done.