NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rudy Gobert 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give him a new thread! The man pretty much beat the US by himself. Another big year coming for Mr. Gobert.

When drafting guys like Gobert, Drummond, Capela, and Jordan you gotta just hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Shouldnt expect to win ft% with these guys. 

Yeah you can. Go to the ac forum

Posted Images

I am really stacked on bigs, and tried unsuccesfully to trade him, but the lack of blocks is killing his value. And his FT% doesn`t help either. And i am not ready to sell him low. Jazz started slow last year, too, but this year the problems are bigger and i am not optimistic that they can be solved so easy. The defense is gone and half of the D usually is Gobert`s responsibility. Yesterday i started Ayton, because i watched the game and when he made 3 blks, benched Gobert (very deep roster and i need 3s) and in the morning, i saw that he made just 1 blk, again. His last game with more than 2 blks was 2 weeks ago. So i think that we have a problem.

29 minutes ago, montanski said:

I am really stacked on bigs, and tried unsuccesfully to trade him, but the lack of blocks is killing his value. And his FT% doesn`t help either. And i am not ready to sell him low. Jazz started slow last year, too, but this year the problems are bigger and i am not optimistic that they can be solved so easy. The defense is gone and half of the D usually is Gobert`s responsibility. Yesterday i started Ayton, because i watched the game and when he made 3 blks, benched Gobert (very deep roster and i need 3s) and in the morning, i saw that he made just 1 blk, again. His last game with more than 2 blks was 2 weeks ago. So i think that we have a problem.

Why is the defense gone?

13 minutes ago, molski said:

Why is the defense gone?

119 from Sac, 121 from Indy, 118 from Mavs, 124 from Raps...9-11, only ahead Suns in standings... I watched only few Jazz games, but think that the D is not like last year`s. I do not think that problem is just their offense and Mitchell`s struggles.

1 minute ago, montanski said:

119 from Sac, 121 from Indy, 118 from Mavs, 124 from Raps...9-11, only ahead Suns in standings... I watched only few Jazz games, but think that the D is not like last year`s. I do not think that problem is just their offense and Mitchell`s struggles.

So what has changed from last year? Isn’t it the exact same players, system and coach? Scores are up around the league as a whole by 10 percent so you can’t just cite scores to prove your point. 

Just now, Purple Hippo said:

So what has changed from last year? Isn’t it the exact same players, system and coach? Scores are up around the league as a whole by 10 percent so you can’t just cite scores to prove your point. 

So what is the reason for Jazz awful start? GSW`s system, players and coach are same, but their defense is much weaker than last year`s. Even when Dray was healthy. Lakers team was the same in 2011 like the championship one 2010, but their D was on holiday in that 2010/2011 season. Maybe Jazz have some issues in the team... I don`t know and i don`t care at all. But the outlook is Jazz are far away from the playoffs, at least for now. So something is wrong with them. Everyone knows that the D make Jazz scary team, not the O. When they lose, the problems should be searched in their D. And that starts with Gobert. And i am interested in his stats for FB purposes. So, if there is some Jazz fan, i will be glad to hear his/her opinion on Jazz season so far.

1 hour ago, montanski said:

So what is the reason for Jazz awful start? GSW`s system, players and coach are same, but their defense is much weaker than last year`s. Even when Dray was healthy. Lakers team was the same in 2011 like the championship one 2010, but their D was on holiday in that 2010/2011 season. Maybe Jazz have some issues in the team... I don`t know and i don`t care at all. But the outlook is Jazz are far away from the playoffs, at least for now. So something is wrong with them. Everyone knows that the D make Jazz scary team, not the O. When they lose, the problems should be searched in their D. And that starts with Gobert. And i am interested in his stats for FB purposes. So, if there is some Jazz fan, i will be glad to hear his/her opinion on Jazz season so far.

Or it could be normal statistical variation exacerbated by a small sample size and the fact that the Jazz have had one of the toughest strength of schedules to start the season? Nah, that can't be it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, montanski said:

By the way, why aren't you complaining that his fg% points, rebounds, steals and points are all UP from last year? I guess those stats don't count as much as free throws and blocks. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
Just now, Purple Hippo said:

By the way, why aren't you complaining that his fg% points, rebounds, steals and points are all UP from last year? I guess those stats don;t count as much as free throws and blocks. 

Last year he was not healthy at all. So his stats were more of "exception from the rule". And the talk was for Jazz D this season, not the dip in blocks. I can live with the stats he puts now and like i said i will not sell him low. But it's obvious that his trade value is not great at all. And the reason are the blocks. I got him in 4rd round and i am ok with his production, but many expected 2nd round value. For the Jazz slow start - we will see later in the season, if the tough shedule is the reason.

10 minutes ago, montanski said:

Last year he was not healthy at all. So his stats were more of "exception from the rule". And the talk was for Jazz D this season, not the dip in blocks. I can live with the stats he puts now and like i said i will not sell him low. But it's obvious that his trade value is not great at all. And the reason are the blocks. I got him in 4rd round and i am ok with his production, but many expected 2nd round value. For the Jazz slow start - we will see later in the season, if the tough shedule is the reason.

He's ranked 26th on BBM so that would put him just out of the 2nd round, and that's with his recent lull. Like I've said before ebbs and flows to the season. No need to worry about every game to game or even week to week results otherwise you'll give yourself an ulcer. If you've ever taken a statistics class then you should understand small sample sizes. I've noticed blocks especially come in bunches, so if there's nothing physically bothering him or something different game plan or personnel  wise explaining the lull in blocks I'd expect a regression to the mean sooner rather than later. If he's under 2 blocks 40 games into the season then maybe you can notice it as a trend.

Above all, the most important thing is that he is healthy. I'd trade 1.9 blocks and full health over 2.3 blocks and missing 30 games any day. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
2 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

He's ranked 26th on BBM so that would put him just out of the 2nd round, and that's with his recent lull. Like I've said before ebbs and flows to the season. No need to worry about every game to game or even week to week results otherwise you'll give yourself an ulcer. If you've ever taken as statistics class then you should understand small sample sizes. I've noticed blocks especially come in bunches, so if there's nothing physically bothering him or something different game plan or personnel  wise explaining the lull in blocks I'd expect a regression to the mean sooner rather than later. If he's under 2 blocks 40 games into the season then maybe you can notice it as a trend.

Above all, the most important thing is that he is healthy. I'd trade 1.9 blocks and full health over 2.3 blocks and missing 30 games any day. 

I said it before: i am not worried at all with his blocks. I readed somewhere before the season some analysis that his blocks will fall under 2 a game and so far that is good forecast. My only complain is his trade value, but i will be ok even if i can`t trade him. I will gladly accept even 1.5 blocks from him as long as he is healthy. But to wait half of the season to give an opinion in FB forum... If everyone in this forum wait for bigger sample size of games to complain, discuss, cry, laugh, etc. here will be so boring.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:41 AM, Deixis said:

Somebody offered me Kyle Lowry straight up for gobert. I'm really thinking about accepting the offer. Can I get somebody 's opinion about this? Thanks! 

When drafting guys like Gobert, Drummond, Capela, and Jordan you gotta just hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Shouldnt expect to win ft% with these guys. 

• Like 5