NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

Soooo...how many Fitz owners, that don't' own Winston, will pick up Winston if Fitz is indeed benched??

I may want off this ride. See the likes of Mariota, Stafford, hell...even Eli (vs TB). 

Apparently, Koetter called the plays yesterday so maybe he'll partially blame himself and stick with Fitz.

Don't love the matchup @NYG. 

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, kyoun1e said:

Soooo...how many Fitz owners, that don't' own Winston, will pick up Winston if Fitz is indeed benched??

I may want off this ride. See the likes of Mariota, Stafford, hell...even Eli (vs TB). 

Apparently, Koetter called the plays yesterday so maybe he'll partially blame himself and stick with Fitz.

Don't love the matchup @NYG. 

Giants play Monday night. If they lose they may not be ready physically and emotionally for the following week. They do play next week, right?

4 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

I still can’t understand why Fitz is getting so much hate for yesterday.  Sure he threw two pics and fumbled once but his accuracy was great and he did throw for 402. Yeah, red zone was tough sledding but correct me if I’m wrong, would they have still won if FG kicker makes all those kicks? 

Murphy's law at its finest here. Can't convert red zone looks into touchdowns and of course the kicker poops the bed... 

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

I still can’t understand why Fitz is getting so much hate for yesterday.  Sure he threw two pics and fumbled once but his accuracy was great and he did throw for 402. Yeah, red zone was tough sledding but correct me if I’m wrong, it wasn’t all his fault there was it?

He doesn't deserve all the hate. I watched most of the game. It wasn't all on him. The 3 turnovers weren't good. They never are, but he was moving the ball with ease all afternoon whether it was throwing or running.

He was victimized by dropped passes. The one by Brate hurt when they were near the goal line. I think D-Jax dropped an easy short pass as well. The Bucs were driving when Rodgers got the ball punched out of his hands on a decent catch and run play that led to another turnover. The Bucs shot themselves in the feet all game long. 

As someone that is relying on Fitz next week, it still won't shock me if he's benched even though Winston has been far, far worse than Fitz this season. 

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

Giants play Monday night. If they lose they may not be ready physically and emotionally for the following week. They do play next week, right?

Giants traded off their corners right? Or was that another team. Too lazy to google right now lol. I guess we'll see tonight how that defense is.

Some positive news if anyone is dependent on Fitz next week. He's starting.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Buccaneers

Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Bucs' starter for Week 12 against the Giants.

Fitz had another turnover-marred debacle in Sunday's loss to the Redskins, but the Bucs believe he gives them their best chance to win. They may be right. The Bucs do not want to risk injury to Jameis Winston, whose 2019 team option is guaranteed for injury only. Fitz will have to go all the way off the rails for Winston to be re-inserted, which, let's be honest, is not a far-fetched scenario.

Nov 12 - 2:45 PM

He will be a very nice value DFS GPP play vs the Giants. Bless your heart if you have the courage (or more likely desperation) to roll with him in a season long league. I have a little gambler's fallacy in me about Fitz that he can't put up back to back games that terrible

4 minutes ago, RxD said:

He doesn't deserve all the hate. I watched most of the game. It wasn't all on him. The 3 turnovers weren't good. They never are, but he was moving the ball with ease all afternoon whether it was throwing or running.

He was victimized by dropped passes. The one by Brate hurt when they were near the goal line. I think D-Jax dropped an easy short pass as well. The Bucs were driving when Rodgers got the ball punched out of his hands on a decent catch and run play that led to another turnover. The Bucs shot themselves in the feet all game long. 

As someone that is relying on Fitz next week, it still won't shock me if he's benched even though Winston has been far, far worse than Fitz this season. 

Winston has not been far, far worse. They have been about the same since the bye. Fitz is getting a pass for his first couple games of the season, but he has been far more tragic than magic lately.

3 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

Giants traded off their corners right? Or was that another team. Too lazy to google right now lol. I guess we'll see tonight how that defense is.

they traded eli apple who i dont think was much of a loss anyway and jackrabbit has been getting owned pretty regularly

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

He will be a very nice value DFS GPP play vs the Giants. Bless your heart if you have the courage (or more likely desperation) to roll with him in a season long league. I have a little gambler's fallacy in me about Fitz that he can't put up back to back games that terrible

Was almost hoping he got benched so I could have a reason to get off this ride. Now that he's starting, not dropping him and playing him would allow me to deal with other needs.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't with this guy.

Will be watching the SF/NYG game intently. Ideally, NYG's enter give up mode, lose big, and start Lauletta this coming week.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Winston has not been far, far worse. They have been about the same since the bye. Fitz is getting a pass for his first couple games of the season, but he has been far more tragic than magic lately.

I'm talking about overall. In that regard, yeah. Winston has been worse. Call it worse or far worse. What's the difference? Lately, both have been bad.

Every important metric is skewed in Fitz's favorite when you take their stats into account. 

Just now, devaster said:

Winston definitely looked worse in his last game, but the reality is that Fitz is pretty much the same player as Winston with Fitz being smarter and Winston being more talented and younger. 

Generally, when a team is eliminated they would go with the younger more talented player. Perhaps they have seen enough of Winston but Fitz owners (like myself)  have to live in a constant state of fear. 

2 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Let's hope that Koetter gives the playcalling back to Monken.

I'm hoping the receivers can catch the f*cking ball and we get a Fitzmagic game vs NYG.  Back-to-back Fitztragic and he might lose 1st team.

8 minutes ago, RxD said:

Some positive news if anyone is dependent on Fitz next week. He's starting.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Buccaneers

Fitz had another turnover-marred debacle in Sunday's loss to the Redskins, but the Bucs believe he gives them their best chance to win. They may be right. The Bucs do not want to risk injury to Jameis Winston, whose 2019 team option is guaranteed for injury only. Fitz will have to go all the way off the rails for Winston to be re-inserted, which, let's be honest, is not a far-fetched scenario.

Nov 12 - 2:45 PM

Note that the report said that he will be the starter against the Bucs and there was no commitment for the rest of the season. It's just going to be a week to week situation the rest of the way. 

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

Note that the report said that he will be the starter against the Bucs and there was no commitment for the rest of the season. It's just going to be a week to week situation the rest of the way. 

Let's not get greedy I'm just glad they got in front of it and made things clear for next week early so I didn't have to temporarily pick Winston up. It is still a very fluid situation and a in-game bench is still a very real concern. The things working in the Fitz favor is that Winston hasn't clearly been better than him and Winston getting injured guarantees his contract next year. 

24 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Will be watching the SF/NYG game intently. Ideally, NYG's enter give up mode, lose big, and start Lauletta this coming week.

I will be going to the game tonight so I will be paying close attention. Then again, there is a good chance I get drunk and forget everything. :(

1 hour ago, Elcapitan said:

Traded one CB (Eli Apple), Jenkins, the best one, is still there. 

They won’t go back to Winston now. They can’t risk him getting injured, and having to pay him next year, when he’s clearly not their future. They could be purposely tanking, by sneakily letting Fitz play (and toss int’s). They are probably eyeing up a top qb for their first pick next draft. So there’s a chance that they do not even care if Fitz blows it, just make the games somewhat excitable for the fans. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Yes, I picked up on that which is why I specifically included "next week" in my response. I just need him for next week to avoid any more headaches with respect to Fitz-Winston. I'd rather avoid the situation completely as I suspect many people would, but beggars can't be choosers. It's crunch time. 

4 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

They won’t go back to Winston now. They can’t risk him getting injured, and having to pay him next year, when he’s clearly not their future. They could be purposely tanking, by sneakily letting Fitz play (and toss int’s). They are probably eyeing up a top qb for their first pick next draft. So there’s a chance that they do not even care if Fitz blows it, just make the games somewhat excitable for the fans. 

It's entirely possible the FO is benching Winston to lower his value ahead of extension talks.  They've said in the media that they think he could still be a franchise QB and would like to get another look at him.  Maybe they're doing what is in their control to reduce his value so they can negotiate away that injury guarantee and extend him during (or after) the season.  My guess is he would be starting if they weren't afraid of that 5th year player option if only for sake of development and him being the younger player.

11 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

Yeah although ideally Bucs would play Winston in order to figure out if he is worth extending the risk of getting locked into paying him 20.9M next year is too great imo. This season is a lost one so yeah I think they let Fitz go crazy, he is exciting and keeps the Bucs name in the media. I think ideally they decline Winston's option but bring him back next season on a more manageable deal with a potential out after the first year so he can be a placeholder until they find their next QB. I don't think Winston is terrible but unless he makes a major change in his decision making on and off the field he looks destined for the fringe starter career arc similar to what Fitz has experienced. 

I'd say they are moving in another direction at QB next season.  Neither Winston or Fitzy will be on the roster imo, and the coaching staff and front office likely will be gone too.

Fitzy like Tebow will not be back for the same reason, can't have the fan base calling for Fitzy at the first sign of trouble.

Archived