Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook


The 7th Beatles

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

But the question is, does he keep the job ROS?  After Steelers he get a hungry Bears team that is capable of turning him back into a pumpkin.

 

Anyone picking up Winston just in case?

 

I honestly think at this point this is Fitzpatrick’s job. Is he the long-term answer? No. Jamies is very talented and probably the future of the Bucs, but if the organization was smart and wanted to light a fire under his *** so that he took his job more seriously, this is the perfect oppurtunity. Let him earn is keep while Fitz lights it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

Gotta ride the hot hand... Steelers D looks atrocious too. This has the looks of a shootout. Ironically playing him over Big Ben.

 

whether it be a true shootout or garbadge time response, Fitz is bound to put up points

Same

 

THe only QB i have seen mentioned in this thread that I would not is Brees. That's a bridge too far for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

 

I honestly think at this point this is Fitzpatrick’s job. Is he the long-term answer? No. Jamies is very talented and probably the future of the Bucs, but if the organization was smart and wanted to light a fire under his *** so that he took his job more seriously, this is the perfect oppurtunity. Let him earn is keep while Fitz lights it up.

I'm not so sure about this.

21 mil cap hit in 2019 if they elect to keep him. His previous cap hits have only (relative, obviously) been 4.6m, 5.7m, 6.9m and 7.9m (current).

This quote is from an April article, before his suspension was announced by the league

Because Winston's fifth-year option is guaranteed only for injury, the Bucs will still be able to release him with no cap penalty if the NFL finds wrongdoing in the case and the team elects to cut ties. The Bucs have been fairly steadfast in their support of Winston over the years, and team co-chairman Joe Glazer recently responded "absolutely not" when asked if the allegations changed the team's perception of Winston. 

"Jameis Winston that has been on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since the day we drafted him has been a model in the community, a model in the locker room," Glazer said. "All we can do is focus on the offseason and doing what we can control, and I know Jameis is working hard and doing all the things he does -- not only preparing for the season, but in the community and off the field, and being the person he's been since we've drafted him."

The Bucs subsequently picked up a nearly $21 million option, so they seem fairly confident that he will be cleared in the NFL's investigation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first MNF that I can remember I am actually looking forward to before I see how many points I need from the players playing in the game. 

 

He's either gonna make the nation believe in Fitzmagic or we will all have a collective 'sigh'. 

 

Gonna be crazy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

I'm not so sure about this.

21 mil cap hit in 2019 if they elect to keep him.

This quote is from an April article, before his suspension was announced by the league

Because Winston's fifth-year option is guaranteed only for injury, the Bucs will still be able to release him with no cap penalty if the NFL finds wrongdoing in the case and the team elects to cut ties. The Bucs have been fairly steadfast in their support of Winston over the years, and team co-chairman Joe Glazer recently responded "absolutely not" when asked if the allegations changed the team's perception of Winston. 

"Jameis Winston that has been on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since the day we drafted him has been a model in the community, a model in the locker room," Glazer said. "All we can do is focus on the offseason and doing what we can control, and I know Jameis is working hard and doing all the things he does -- not only preparing for the season, but in the community and off the field, and being the person he's been since we've drafted him."

The Bucs subsequently picked up a nearly $21 million option, so they seem fairly confident that he will be cleared in the NFL's investigation. 

 

The Bucs would be crazy to release a talented young QB like Winston. If it were any other skill-position player, sure -you’re expendable. With that being said, it is way to tough to get your hands on a possible franchise qb like Jamies. Even if he’s a middling , semi-above average QB, it would be imprudent to release him - unless you’re willing to tank and rebuild for a couple years, trying your luck again some time in the distant future with some other promising first round draft pick (that’ll also probably need some years to develop).

 

 

It it would be smarter just to shore up that defense, particularly the secondary, and maybe make some improvements on the line. 

 

Fitzpatrick taking over for the season is honestly just what he needs as a wake up call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J Boogie said:

 

The Bucs would be crazy to release a talented young QB like Winston. If it were any other skill-position player, sure -you’re expendable. With that being said, it is way to tough to get your hands on a possible franchise qb like Jamies. Even if he’s a middling , semi-above average QB, it would be imprudent to release him - unless you’re willing to tank and rebuild for a couple years, trying your luck again some time in the distant future with some other promising first round draft pick (that’ll also probably need some years to develop).

 

 

It it would be smarter just to shore up that defense, particularly the secondary, and maybe make some improvements on the line. 

 

Fitzpatrick taking over for the season is honestly just what he needs as a wake up call.

Can't argue with any of this. Just saying it's not a given they don't cut bait. The cap hit is massive, there are murmurs they are tired of the immature bull****, and there's the blurb I posted from Dec '17 about how Winston and Koetter were at odds - then Koetter did not get fired as many expected. I can't think of any major free agent quarterbacks for next year, which bolsters your position. No way do they want to start over with what will be at best a mid/late first round rookie qb, with Evans and Howard in their prime and Desean in his twilight. 2018 was definitely the year for free agent quarterbacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FF4life said:

He's starting the entire season.

 

 

Fitzy will start until he has a six-pick implosion like he did his last year with the Jets.

 

He’s been benched for guys like Geno Smith and Ryan Mallett for a reason.  He’s also been a consistent top ten fantasy QB fairly recently, and he has a better supporting cast now than he did the year he had Marshall and Decker.

 

The challenge for us is figuring out when the implosion game is coming.  It’s probably not against that awful Steelers defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Can't argue with any of this. Just saying it's not a given they don't cut bait. The cap hit is massive, there are murmurs they are tired of the immature bull****, and there's the blurb I posted from Dec '17 about how Winston and Koetter were at odds - then Koetter did not get fired as many expected. I can't think of any major free agent quarterbacks for next year, which bolsters your position. No way do they want to start over with what will be at best a mid/late first round rookie qb, with Evans and Howard in their prime and Desean in his twilight. 2018 was definitely the year for free agent quarterbacks.

 

I hear that. Well hopefully that's the case as one man's trash can be another man's treasure - as a giants fan I'd love for Winston to replace that fossil Eli haha. Anyways, dont want to get too sidetracked from the topic of Fitzpatrick 

 

I think he'll make a lot of owners happy next week. The Steelers got destroyed by the deep ball last week - I'd argue the Bucaneers might boast just as much of a formidable vertical passing threat.  My guess is 350 yards, 4 touchdowns, 2 interceptions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

 

Fitzy will start until he has a six-pick implosion like he did his last year with the Jets.

 

He’s been benched for guys like Geno Smith and Ryan Mallett for a reason.  He’s also been a consistent top ten fantasy QB fairly recently, and he has a better supporting cast now than he did the year he had Marshall and Decker.

 

The challenge for us is figuring out when the implosion game is coming.  It’s probably not against that awful Steelers defense.

 

Why does that implosion game have to happen?

The sky is blue when there are no clouds out and its gray when its cloudy.

Because A happened in the past doesn't mean A will happen again, B, C, D...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

 

Why does that implosion game have to happen?

The sky is blue when there are no clouds out and its gray when its cloudy.

Because A happened in the past doesn't mean A will happen again, B, C, D...

 

Because history has a crazy way of repeating itself, especially when its repeated itself consistently.

 

Now, I more than anyone don't want him to implode as he is my QB, but the chance of it happening are likely.

 

Although, it does seem like his swagger is on a different level this year. He seems different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

 

Fitzy will start until he has a six-pick implosion like he did his last year with the Jets.

 

He’s been benched for guys like Geno Smith and Ryan Mallett for a reason.  He’s also been a consistent top ten fantasy QB fairly recently, and he has a better supporting cast now than he did the year he had Marshall and Decker.

 

The challenge for us is figuring out when the implosion game is coming.  It’s probably not against that awful Steelers defense.

Not possible. Will only hurt your brain. Bench him against bad matchups when you have a better QB option. Simple. It just happens that this week there are very few better options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dsaints said:

 

Because history has a crazy way of repeating itself, especially when its repeated itself consistently.

 

Now, I more than anyone don't want him to implode as he is my QB, but the chance of it happening are likely.

 

Although, it does seem like his swagger is on a different level this year. He seems different. 

"Likely" is a little strong

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Luxferro said:

After week 1, everyone was likely thinking... 'okay, it's just one good game'.

After week 2, everyone is picking him up off wavers to start over the QB's they drafted.

Come week 3, everyone will be pissed they fell for the hype. 

 

Have you seen this team?  Have you watched this man throw this year? 

 

Even if he comes down to earth slightly ( which is the easiest thing to predict right now because his pace is unsustainable lol ) I dont think we are going to see him faceplant on national tv at home on MNF, hes too experienced of a player for that, the Steelers D is not talented enough and the Bucs pass catchers are all match up nightmares.  

 

In almost all game scripts hes likely to throw the ball 35-45 times because they have no rushing attack and the Steelers do score some points.  Fantasy points will be there Monday, they might not look as magical as they have been so far this season but unfortunately the NFL schedule is assisting in this magical run to the dismay of his doubters.  He has his biggest reality check vs Chicago, but this week he should be fine for fantasy even if he throws 3 picks which could happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have little faith in Fitz to keep this up long, but maybe one more week against PIT's D. I got sick of Luck getting back into shape and I'm gonna start Fitz over him this week I think. I got Fitz on waivers for 5% of my budget, one other guy tried to pick him up for 0% of his budget, so he wasn't popular in that league. We've all seen him have a great game here and there, but if you look at his stats over past years, it's unlikely he doesn't come down to Earth soon. Still, I'm in for one more week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...