NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is still sitting in Waivers in my league. I'd pick him up but I have Mahomes and Wentz. If you don't have Brady, Brees, Mahomes, Rodgers, Cousins, or Rivers...there's no reason to not be playing this guy until his wheels fall off.

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Calling it now. Steelers will get their first win. Fitzpatrick will come down to Earth. Let the QB controversy intensify! Enjoy!

Fitz will most likely put up points and scores though.  

Amazing what FF creates in excitement every year.  NO ONE envisioned this guy being your lead Dawg QB1:

th?id=OIP.8Fg2fThdwP0Pm7LCsiorFgHaEK&pid=Api

He's ready to climb Mount Everest and bring Christmas gift-wrapped FF championships to those who believe!

image.php?encI=X55g9%3ADD%2FWs.199f59.X3QQWBs5vBgv95.JvVDq3UvBaWJUWBs.sWQ

I think that's the scenario where you think of using Fitzpatrick to give your main QB time to get up on two feet. For example, only reason why I considered Fitz is because I possess Andrew Luck and am hoping that Luck will eventually come into form.  

If the investment is minimal and your confidence in your QB is wavering on the short term (Luck, maybe Stafford, Russell Wilson, Wentz) then he is a viable candidate.  You could find more value in someone like Bortles, Red Rocket.  I think he will do OK against the Steelers as they've had some issues in the secondary compounded by the drama with Brown and Bell.

My play and hope is to get points now and my long term QB will eventually find his pace and rhythm.

Riding him until the wheels fall off. Not a lot of guys I'd pick over him right now. I've traded away Brees and Watson in 2 leagues to address bigger holes since I feel relatively confident in Fitzpatrick. He doesn't have to be the #1 overall QB even if he can just maintain borderline QB1 value he is a complete bargain. 

Is it just me or does it feel like the Bucs are looking for reasons not to commit to Winston? Fitz is playing out of his mind, the team has bought in, and they're winning. But is there more to it? Or is it just me? 

On a side note I have to bid extra high on Fitzpatrick this week and drop Winston in a only-roster-2-QB league since I cant take the chance on not having a backup QB. And then I'll have to bid high on Winston in the case that Fitz loses the job for any reason. Sucks.

Fitzmagic is a simple creature guys, the reason why he's excelling right now is he has amazing weapons, he understands the playbook to a T and has an aggressive playcaller.  To be an excellent QB in the NFL you don't have to be the most talented human playing QB in the league, you simply need all the parts to work in your favor.  QB is a complicated position and you can play it amazing without having to do crazy scramble pass miracles like Russ Wilson or ARod plays each snap, no, you simply need to understand the defense, where you need to put the ball and get it there.  Think Marc Bulger back on the Rams, he wasn't some physical specimen, he just had a pass happy coordinator ( Martz ) and some amazing weapons to play catch with ( Holt, Bruce, Faulk, Sjax ). Right now, nothing about Fitzmagic is even that magical if you watch the games, there are not circus plays being completed or some crazy schemes the defense hasnt seen before ( think Wild Cat introduction ), nah, guys are just beating their guys and Fitz is hitting the correct reads.  A couple long balls to Djax have hit and boom he has an extra 300 yards passing and 2 TDs bc the deep balls have worked, but nothing that isnt completely un-sustainable that won't happen again in other games.  

In the past, ol Fitz was predictable in terms of the fantasy community, you knew he peppered his #1 receiver with oodles of targets.  In Buffalo, this was Stevie Johnson, in New York this was BMarsh, etc at least that's what was seemingly his default play would be when in doubt throw it to his #1 hope for the best.  This type of chucking it would cause some of those big INT games when Fitz would just try to force the ball to his guy because there wouldnt really be better options and everyone is covered up, he always gave his guy a chance to make a play.  Sometimes they would, sometimes its an INT.

Fast forward to today and this TB team.  Fitz suddenly doesnt have to force feed a #1 target because he has 3 -4 targets he views as equal.  He feels 4 players on his team can take the ball to the house and he is enjoying spreading the ball around because the defense cant just key on one.  What we are seeing is just some flat out crisp and good quarterback play, not any smoke and mirrors.  He's always been a competent QB, nothing flashy in terms of arm talent but understands how to run offensive systems and maximizes his limited abilities with his smart whit.  His faceplants in the past came when he forced the ball to his #1 guy because there would be little other options and hes a gun slinger so he's always been a risk taker rather than throw the ball away.  That's a my anecdotal story about Fitzy from watching him for the past 10 years, I remember when he was a rookie replacing an injured Marc Bulger and I in fact started the defense playing against him.  He did not crap the bed as everyone assumed he would and while he doesn't pop off the tv screen, he's always been an Any Given Sunday type player that believes strongly in what he is doing.  

This could be the feel good story of the year if the Bucs somehow make the playoffs with this guy or it could all end in a couple of weeks all I know is - I'm in. 

LETS GO. 

1 minute ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Dnn3Y7WWsAEa7Wg.jpg

Flintstone's Vitamins                Tylenol                       Weed                              Vicodin                         COCAINE!!

Archived