NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They replayed the interceptions on Sportscenter tonight. One came off a total whiffed block by the right tackle, who deflected the pass at the LOS for an interception and another came off Mike Evans (I think) running the wrong route. Fitz will catch some grief for tonight by people who didn't watch the game, but he played just fine. 

I don't really like the game at Soldier Field next week, then the Bucs have their bye, but Fitzmagic will be right back in my lineup for Week 6 at Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, mjagger42 said:

They replayed the interceptions on Sportscenter tonight. One came off a total whiffed block by the right tackle, who deflected the pass at the LOS for an interception and another came off Mike Evans (I think) running the wrong route. Fitz will catch some grief for tonight by people who didn't watch the game, but he played just fine. 

I don't really like the game at Soldier Field next week, then the Bucs have their bye, but Fitzmagic will be right back in my lineup for Week 6 at Atlanta. 

There were at least three dropped picks by Pitt defenders though, so it evens out.

Fitz' gunslinging style is great for fantasy. 

2 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

Yes things broke pretty bad for him and the Bucs especially in the first half. However he made a lot of poor decisions with his passes and his accuracy at times was astonishingly off. For me the real story of this game was the consistent pressure the Steelers were able to inflict on him particularly in the first half. That decided the game IMO. I'm very pleased that Dick is hinting that Fitzmagic will live to see another day. Easy bench at Chicago however, obviously, as someone above stated. If it goes poorly next week the magic carpet could get rolled up and thrown in the closet. I hope not.

6 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

are you that confident he gets the start after the bye week?

4 minutes ago, justincns said:

are you that confident he gets the start after the bye week?

No one should be.  I see people making excuses for all his bad picks on this thread.   We know who he is.  He's a medium arm risk taker prown to bad decisions and implosions in pressurized situations.

What many on this thread don't realize is the Tampa coach doesn't give a s--- about our fantasy teams.  if Fitz continues to turn the ball over - he will be benched very quickly for Jameis.  Which could b happening very soon.

He's automatic start  in fantasy until he isn't in real life.

Can go 2 ways with him. Ride the wave. Just play him while hes hot or sell high. I am debating what he can get me. I got Watson and Cam so can trade him . Just not sure u can get value for the #1 player in fantasy. Most will say hes ryan Fitzpatrick or hes gonna lose the start job.

4 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

No one should be.  I see people making excuses for all his bad picks on this thread.   We know who he is.  He's a medium arm risk taker prown to bad decisions and implosions in pressurized situations.

Lol none of those INTs were bad decisions. First one was a fluky tipped ball, second one Evans completely quit on the route, and his arm was hit on the third. 

Just being able able to come back and play the way he did should solidify his starting position.

If Fitz beats Chicago wow.

3 400 yard passing games to start the season and Koetter's offense has been humming, I dont see how he heads to the bench.

I feel the worst case situation upcoming for Fitz is another 2nd quarter like last night in a future game with Jameis active.  You could see a hook midgame then and then a controversy the following week. What resolve this man showed last night after being nationally embarrassed in that 2nd quarter with the joke of that ESPN telecast basically burying the guy with 7 min left before halftime.  Fitz's 4th quarter was darn impressive, its a shame his final drive couldnt get 1 first down to keep the momentum.  His coach has to be very impressed with the performance all things considered, his protection in the first half was awful, people were flying at him unblocked. 

5 hours ago, Cotton Jones said:

Easy bench at Chicago however

That's what everyone said vs Eagles.

I'm leery of benching him at this point.

Not scared of bears defense more like scared of bears offense they are trash and won't score keeping it a close game.

TB might actually run the ball on 2nd down.

3 minutes ago, affliction said:

I have to drop him its only a matter of time before he has another 3 int game but this time he will get pulled.

Seeya never heard of anyone flat out dropping the #1 player at any position this early into a season.  To each his own.

I have to drop him its only a matter of time before he has another 3 int game but this time he will get pulled.

I would stick it out and see what happens with Chicago. That will be his test game!

Don't drop him yet someone else will grab him when you drop him

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

if Fitz continues to turn the ball over - he will be benched very quickly for Jameis.  Which could b happening very soon.

Let's no forget that Winston turns the ball over as well.

2015 - 15 INT, 3 fumbles

2016 - 18 INT, 6 fumbles

2017  - 11 INT, 11 fumbles

10 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Seeya never heard of anyone flat out dropping the #1 player at any position this early into a season.  To each his own.

Never had a #1 player at a position who will be on a short leash with a player who could be the future behind him. It's a unique situation and I'd be surprised if he is the starter for the whole season

I also have Cam as my other QB who is on bye cant roster 3 QB's and dont feel comfortable starting him vs CHI

Fitz has kept TB competitive ( and won ) vs Saints, Eagles and now Steelers. 

That's 3 top team teams in NFL.  There's no QB change coming quickly especially if he beats or comes close to beating the Bears.

400 yards three straight games, first player in NFL history to accomplish this in his first three games of a season.  Fitz had 1 400 yard passing game in his career til this season, the playbook is clicking right now and the Buc's coaches trust him to sling it. Those Red Zone TDs last night were not freebies, they were all Fitzpatrick making the play.  Jameis has a lot of work to do before he is handed the keys here, and it's going to take more than him showing up and having some good practice.   

This situation would be entirely different if Fitz was merely playing adequate and the Bucs had competitive final score window dressing thanks to garbage time.  The Bucs have been competitive and even beating teams thanks to their offense ( their Defense has been atrocious ) and there's basically 0 reason to mess with the juju of your football team throwing in a QB that hasnt been with the team in a month. 

Come Week 6 or  7 if the offense has began to stall and things consistently look and feel bad, youll probably see WInston in because the team needs to take a look at him to decide if they want to pick up his 20 million dollar option.  Jameis will likely play at some point this year, it's just hard to tell whether thats a Week 17 mop up game with the Bucs clinched or like Week 7 or 8 after Fitz has slowed down.  It's hard to say but Fitz's leash should be pretty long as long as he doesn't throw back to back pick 6s or have a disaster 2nd quarter like last night where it feels the bottom drops out. 

Never had a #1 player at a position who will be on a short leash with a player who could be the future behind him. It's a unique situation and I'd be surprised if he is the starter for the whole season

CSB - you dont need to defend your reason for dropping here.  The point is, you don't drop a player like this regardless if you think hes going to be benched bc if you are wrong ( which fantasy owners are often ) you just gave away a QB1 for free.

Thats not how you win fantasy football. 

4 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

CSB - you dont need to defend your reason for dropping here.  The point is, you don't drop a player like this regardless if you think hes going to be benched bc if you are wrong ( which fantasy owners are often ) you just gave away a QB1 for free.

Thats not how you win fantasy football. 

You're right you win fantasy football by being proactive. Good luck winning your matchup when he gets pulled at the half. There is no peace of mind playing Fitz ROS.

I also would bet on him not sustaining #1 QB production for the rest of the season in the unlikely event he is the starter.

But time will tell on both points

Just now, affliction said:

I also would bet on him not sustaining #1 QB production for the rest of the season in the unlikely event he is the starter.

Really going out on a limb with this one - such a bold prediction.  Let me give you a tip, fantasy football will never give you a peace of mind playing anyone.  

I am worried about Fitz getting benched in a game Winston is active as well but you know what, that's what makes the game exciting to take some risks bc Fitz pay off is higher than most QBs in fantasy right now and his floor ( if benched ) is arguably no worse than some of these trash rookie QBs throwing for 120 yards as well. 

Just now, Zak0221 said:

Really going out on a limb with this one - such a bold prediction.  Let me give you a tip, fantasy football will never give you a peace of mind playing anyone.  

I am worried about Fitz getting benched in a game Winston is active as well but you know what, that's what makes the game exciting to take some risks bc Fitz pay off is higher than most QBs in fantasy right now and his floor ( if benched ) is arguably no worse than some of these trash rookie QBs throwing for 120 yards as well. 

Good luck. I wish you the best.

Archived