NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2018 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

3 minutes ago, Dead Money said:

Hey I admit it's all gonna come crashing down at some point, but he did have Favre moments including the INTS! Cmon man!

It reminds me of Deshaun watson's 7 games or whatever it was of glory last year, that won me the ship!

How did a guy who wasn't around for the fantasy playoffs win you your ship? 

Is the winner decided by how many injured players you have on your roster?

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This I love to see, a Saints fan debating with a Panthers fan about a Buccs starting QB.  I think the play is still riding the wave until he implodes and hedge with someone you feel that will have prolonged production into the later parts of the year.

If Godwin doesn't drop those perfect TD passes, we're looking at another monster game from him, and a completely different outcome.

Totally starting this dude with confidence. 2 of those INT's were flukes. 

Also, PIT almost seemed ordered to ignore the roughing the passer rules lol....just to make Fitz uncomfortable and uneasy...which did work. 

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

How did a guy who wasn't around for the fantasy playoffs win you your ship? 

Is the winner decided by how many injured players you have on your roster?

Okay get technical on me, he didn't win the ship directly, but he had a major impact in getting me there by racking up ridiculous points for that stretch he had.

7 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

So now he is the 2nd coming of Brett Favre. SMH. LOL..You guys are out of control. Why don't you ask Bills and especially Jets fans about Fitzy. It all started out oh so well and then poof.....

I think you are confusing a fan base's dismay after briefly tasting potential post season possibilities and fantasy owners expectations for hopefully landing a top 12 QB.  Fitz can have a productive fantasy year and the Bucs still won't make the playoffs and that's ok as a fantasy owner.  He may disappoint Bucs fans ultimately which is why he is a journeyman QB however fantasy pts don't care about how many teams you have played for in the past, it's what are you going to do for me on Sunday.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Really only one INT I would put on Fitz, and that was on a pass to diminutive Jacquizz Rodgers from within his own end zone with pressure bearing down within a second or two.

I started Fitz last night and won because of the points he provided, but that play cost the Bucs the game.  It's the type of play that is difficult to over come and usually leads to riding the pine.  Add Fitz's inaccuracies on passes and I don't believe he is long for the staring job.  Heck even Buc fan was ready to throw him under the bus at halftime. 

Definitely would not be surprised if Winston finishes the game in Chicago after another "Fit....bucs" 1st half implosion.

34 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

I started Fitz last night and won because of the points he provided, but that play cost the Bucs the game.  It's the type of play that is difficult to over come and usually leads to riding the pine.  Add Fitz's inaccuracies on passes and I don't believe he is long for the staring job.  Heck even Buc fan was ready to throw him under the bus at halftime. 

Definitely would not be surprised if Winston finishes the game in Chicago after another "Fit....bucs" 1st half implosion.

I will have to respectfully disagree.  I don’t think any one play cost the Bucs the entire game.  And I do know that this entire team has been re-energized by what Fitz has brought to the table - he has them believing they are winners, and they have all spoken in glowing terms about his performance thus far, even last night’s.   Koetter’s allusion to Winston’s accepting any role he is asked to accept also speaks volumes as to the coaches’ view of the matter.  

He’s now second all-time in passing yards to begin a season (second only to Brady) and third all-time in TD passes through the season’s first three games.  I really don’t see him going anywhere - at least for a while.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

And I do know that this entire team has been re-energized by what Fitz has brought to the table - he has them believing they are winners, and they have all spoken in glowing terms about his performance thus far, even last night’s.

Quoted for emphasis. Fitz right now is showing intangibles that do not show up in box scores. He gives that offense HOPE and guys believe in him. That is an unquestionably important trait for any starting QB.

Additionally, his accuracy is just fine. None of those interceptions were the result of bad decision making or inaccuracies. He is driving the ball downfield better than any other QB in the entire league, and the deep passing game is this team’s bread and butter. 

Bears will be a true test.  Pitt passing defense is ranked bottom 5 and they still got 3 picks (regardless of who’s fault they were). They also showed that a a serious pass rush can cause some magic happy feet.  I don’t expect them to replace Fitzpatrick in this game as that will only lead to unnecessary qb controversy heading into the bye.

1 minute ago, herschel said:

Bears will be a true test.  Pitt passing defense is ranked bottom 5 and they still got 3 picks (regardless of who’s fault they were). They also showed that a a serious pass rush can cause some magic happy feet.  I don’t expect them to replace Fitzpatrick in this game as that will only lead to unnecessary qb controversy heading into the bye.

The blueprint is there because the Bucs cannot run the football.

4 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

One bad throw last night. You put Winston in there, it's around 4-5 really awful 'what the hell was that' throws.

Were yall even watching the game. The Steelers had "at least" two more picks that they dropped. One Haden didn't turn his head around and the ball landed right by him. Horrific throw. I'm going to my bookie and I'm looking for the prop for the Tampa Bay and Chicago game that highlights the odds for a QB change at halftime and I'm putting some money on that bad boy.

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I think CHI is very beatable through the air. It will all come down to sacks and turnovers

Something that Fitz is very familiar with and that the Bears are excellent at. They missed another pick 6 last week due to a questionable call.

For what it is worth, I have a long history of benching my defense if they have a tough contest. I am starting the Bears D in all of my leagues. They're at Soldier Field and my gut is telling me Fitzpatrick doesn't record more than 1 touchdown. 

Obviously that is just my opinion which, in the grand scheme of things means jack, but this Bears D is going to eat up TB. 

Just now, nonstopfan said:

Were yall even watching the game. The Steelers had "at least" two more picks that they dropped. I'm going to my bookie and I'm looking for the prop for the Tampa Bay and Chicago game that highlights the odds for a QB change at halftime and I'm putting some money on that bad boy.

And at least one of those was another fluke deflection that had no business being intercepted. We can play the what if game all day, but those couple of potential INTs are cancelled out by Godwin’s TWO dropped TD passes

Just now, oliminator123 said:

For what it is worth, I have a long history of benching my defense if they have a tough contest. I am starting the Bears D in all of my leagues. They're at Soldier Field and my gut is telling me Fitzpatrick doesn't record more than 1 touchdown.

Obviously that is just my opinion which, in the grand scheme of things means jack, but this Bears D is going to eat up TB. 

Based on what? The vaunted Arizona Cardinals QBs got 2 yesterday. I’ll probably start both Fitz and the Bears D/ST

Just now, lolcopter said:

Based on what? The vaunted Arizona Cardinals QBs got 2 yesterday. I’ll probably start both Fitz and the Bears D/ST

Bears clamped down in the second half and Arizona just fell apart. Can call it rust or whatever you want, but the first half saw little defensive penetration by the Bears. Second half all hell broke loose. Plus they were in Arizona. 

But like I said it is just a gut feeling. I don't really have any facts to back it up aside from this being (by far) the best D Fitz might play all season. 

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Arizona also has a formidable running back and Chicago forced zona to throw against them.  Peyton Barber is no David Johnson.

I think you have to look at the full story here and context of the game.  I agree if you had Winston waiting in the shadow on the third pick he'd probably be ready to go but Winston wasn't there.  Instead we saw the resilience of Fitzpatrick which has been his career story.  To be honest you ride the wave of the game but if you look at Fitzpatrick's career this is how he's made his living.  Story of redemption. We've seen the implosion and yet we've seen him come back season after season. Probably should have known that he wasn't going to give up and attempt another come back in the 4th quarter.

The team was real close to being 3-0. Barring injury I think he starts after the bye. Post Evans TD you can see the resurgence of energy he brings with the O line celebrating. Koetter knows they were one or two plays off of the win (team game) and you cannot pin it all on Fitzpatrick.

7 minutes ago, herschel said:

Arizona also has a formidable running back and Chicago forced zona to throw against them.  Peyton Barber is no David Johnson.

They don't seem to believe in the Chicago Defense now since they are the starting the second coming of Brett Favre. You know what actually makes a great defense start to get recognized though? Forcing teams to replace their starting QB's in back to back weeks.

28 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Were yall even watching the game. The Steelers had "at least" two more picks that they dropped. One Haden didn't turn his head around and the ball landed right by him. Horrific throw. I'm going to my bookie and I'm looking for the prop for the Tampa Bay and Chicago game that highlights the odds for a QB change at halftime and I'm putting some money on that bad boy.

If we are playing the “shoulda” game, Fitz should’ve had four TDs if Godwin just completes that pass he had right in his hands in the end zone.  And with some better RZ execution in general, they probably end up with a total of five TDs instead of repeatedly settling for FGs.  (One question: why the force-feeding of Godwin?  Yeah, he’s pretty good in his own right, but you have all sorts of options - including an elite WR1 who towers over every Steeler defender.)

CHI is a tough test, but coming into the ARI game, I believe they’d already allowed the fourth most points to wideouts.  Apart from last night, the line has really done well to limit pressure and give Fitz a clean pocket to operate from.  I wouldn’t be so sure CHI just steamrolls this offense.

16 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

They don't seem to believe in the Chicago Defense now since they are the starting the second coming of Brett Favre. You know what actually makes a great defense start to get recognized though? Forcing teams to replace their starting QB's in back to back weeks.

Do you actually own Winston or something?

45 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Quoted for emphasis. Fitz right now is showing intangibles that do not show up in box scores. He gives that offense HOPE and guys believe in him. That is an unquestionably important trait for any starting QB.

Additionally, his accuracy is just fine. None of those interceptions were the result of bad decision making or inaccuracies. He is driving the ball downfield better than any other QB in the entire league, and the deep passing game is this team’s bread and butter. 

To be fair the int towards Godwin was a gross overthrow even though the announcers blamed Godwin

Archived