NBC Sports Edge Forums

Klay Thompson 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Haven't really seen any discussion on Klay. What are we expecting this year? Klay is and has been one of the most consistent and stable players in terms of statistical output his entire career. Will Boogie being in town affect him too much? I can still see him putting up something like 20ppg/3.5rpg/2.5apg/0.8spg/0.5bpg with ~3 triples on his typically great %s. 

In some of the mocks I've done recently, he's being drafted in the 4th and 5th, and even fell to 6th in a couple. This seems pretty low as I think he'll still put up solid 3rd round value. Thoughts?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Others have made it pretty clear that Klay's stats have not gone down substantially in the past 4 years.  The reason for his drop in rankings (for 9-cat, 9th in 2015!) is because of the increase in 3p

1) The best month of Hield's career is worse than Klay's career averages.  They are not the same caliber of player.   2) Show me a guy who scores 20ppg with 3 threes a game and shoots 47% fr

Hmmm IDK... I think I won't be drafting him before 4th round...

Had him last season... and I was slightly disappointed... let's see his rankings last year... mmmmmm

9 cat

37. per game value

35. total value

Sooo yeah...

Boogie won't upset him too much... if at all... but Klay just doesn't offer much (for me)...

I'd take Gary, Middleton, Otto, Bledsoe, Covington before him... all finished ahead of Klay (per game value)...

EDIT: He ONLY had 3 (three) 30+ points games last season (38, 34, 33)... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
On 9/19/2018 at 1:50 PM, Stefan said:

Hmmm IDK... I think I won't be drafting him before 4th round...

Had him last season... and I was slightly disappointed... let's see his rankings last year... mmmmmm

9 cat

37. per game value

35. total value

Sooo yeah...

Boogie won't upset him too much... if at all... but Klay just doesn't offer much (for me)...

I'd take Gary, Middleton, Otto, Bledsoe, Covington before him... all finished ahead of Klay (per game value)...

He's a useful player in that he's fairly unique in what he gives you. Not many players can give you close to his 3pt output without destroying your %s, while he is a strong source of points, 3pts, FG%, and FT%. If you draft a guy who can make up for his lack of assists and rebounds he's a solid option, but I agree i wouldn't pick him before the 4th round. ESPN has him at 57, which I would definitely be ok grabbing him at point.

• Like 1

The other thing people always say about the warriors is their injury concern and Kerr resting his star players. However Klay has played in 77+ in his last 5 seasons before 2017-18 season and if it wasn't for his right thumb injury he would have played 77+ in his last 6! He barely gets rested and is very consistent. I had him and KAT last year and was over the moon on how durable and how many games they played in! 

On 9/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, JLoson0550 said:

He's a lot more valuable in punt assists

He's a MUST in punt assists. Its difficult to get a lot of 3pt in a punt assists build, and to have such a huge FG% anchor (48.8% on 16.2 fga/g) is an enormous boon to your team. The more I look at him, the more I want him on my team. I still don't think I'd grab him before pick 36, but if I could get him in the 40's I'd be very happy.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PhiladelphiaPhoenix said:

geez, and i was excited about his fg%, missed 15 shots tonight

Same here, drafting him I'm like ok, better fg%. 

In my defense I'm ok with him taking 20 shots... he just has to make 12+ of them. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, ejaggit said:

Same here, drafting him I'm like ok, better fg%. 

In my defense I'm ok with him taking 20 shots... he just has to make 12+ of them. Lol. 

Its funny you say you want him to make 12/20 because the 2nd game of the season last year he went 13/20 with 7 threes....haha  Maybe history will repeat itself.

I never worry about Klay - I have had him every year in fantasy his whole career.  He is one of the greatest shooters of all-time and very efficient.  I may be a little biased tho since he is my favorite player.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, alclayno said:

My third round pick came down to a decision between drafting him and drafting Khris Middleton.

Glad I went with the latter after looking at their first 2-3 games of the season.

Of course Khris over Klay ... all the time ! 

Klay will have his games but he is 3rd option now

2 minutes ago, alclayno said:

My third round pick came down to a decision between drafting him and drafting Khris Middleton.

Glad I went with the latter after looking at their first 2-3 games of the season.

3 games doesn't mean you made the right decision

• Like 2
Just now, BrowKnees said:

3 games doesn't mean you made the right decision

True, but Khris being a second option > Klay being a third option.

Khris probably won't have the occasional 35+ nights that Klay will, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that he'd have a more fantasy friendly line overall by season's end.

4 minutes ago, alclayno said:

True, but Khris being a second option > Klay being a third option.

Khris probably won't have the occasional 35+ nights that Klay will, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that he'd have a more fantasy friendly line overall by season's end.

Khris's advantage over Klay is that he gets more peripheral stats like steals, rebounds

Klay's advantage over khris is his history of elite %'s and threes, although unfortunately he is shooting like trash to start the year. They both are going to score around 20 by season end. Don't forget that Klay plays a good amount of minutes without durant or curry on the court at times, he's usually the first star off the court and the first one back on in the 2nd quarter.

Cant see why anyone would take him over Kmidd outside of name value

Only thing Klay will do RoS is fix his fg% as the rest of his stats are his per usual - while Kmidd will get you breakfast, lunch and dinner

• Like 2