NBC Sports Edge Forums

Klay Thompson 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Others have made it pretty clear that Klay's stats have not gone down substantially in the past 4 years.  The reason for his drop in rankings (for 9-cat, 9th in 2015!) is because of the increase in 3p

1) The best month of Hield's career is worse than Klay's career averages.  They are not the same caliber of player.   2) Show me a guy who scores 20ppg with 3 threes a game and shoots 47% fr

• 3 weeks later...

Klay is a better player on the court than his fantasy numbers demonstrate. His true utility is his ability to lock down opposing offenses. He'll get some ancillary stats like steals and blocks but for overall production i would say a 20/5/2 with one or two steals and blocks per game. 

I would sell high because Green and Curry comes back and in December/January they will work on assimilating Boogie back into the lineup. All of that would eat at his usage and production, but not his value on the court as an asset to the warriors. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Exactly what I was saying.   Its funny because I had thought the whole "KD is going to impact Klay's production" narrative that the media was trying to spin when he first got there was put to bed two years ago. 

I guess it just shows that for some people they don't let facts get in the way of their "projection/alternative evidence." Hahaha

I missed this thread :)

4 minutes ago, Chickenmane said:

Hi 

Lol don’t know if you were the guy but if you recall I was one of the view that said ur Buddy, Klay thing was doable but there was zero sample size to prove it. If you are the guy 2shay sir and you won against people who thought u were a fool. Buddy has looked awesome and will only improve, meanwhile Klay has been ishhful for the most part. Getting most of his production while Steph was out. 

Klay hasn’t exactly been s--- as he’s valued top 50 for the season.  Josh Lloyd did a podcast on this which basically stated his decline in value is due to threes being less scarce but his statistical output has remained steady.  Note to self: don’t overdraft threes. 

8 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Klay hasn’t exactly been s--- as he’s valued top 50 for the season.  Josh Lloyd did a podcast on this which basically stated his decline in value is due to threes being less scarce but his statistical output has remained steady.  Note to self: don’t overdraft threes. 

Josh Lloyd also values him as a top 75 asset, which I disagree with. Klay will end up being top 40 imho.

I don’t have him anymore, but will miss the upcoming explosions...

21 minutes ago, ovofnd said:

Josh Lloyd also values him as a top 75 asset, which I disagree with. Klay will end up being top 40 imho.

I don’t have him anymore, but will miss the upcoming explosions...

I have him in only one league where he was a throw-in for a big trade.  He’s been meh for me and I don’t typically target the Klay, McCollom, etc types. I just don’t agree with the sky is falling narrative though.  He’s a solid source of points and threes on efficient numbers, that’s neither scarce nor terrible.

17 hours ago, chud12 said:

Lol don’t know if you were the guy but if you recall I was one of the view that said ur Buddy, Klay thing was doable but there was zero sample size to prove it. If you are the guy 2shay sir and you won against people who thought u were a fool. Buddy has looked awesome and will only improve, meanwhile Klay has been ishhful for the most part. Getting most of his production while Steph was out. 

Won?  He said Klay was a poor man's Buddy Hield, Klay won't average 20 PPG and Buddy will have better peripheral stats. He also implied that Durant had been having a negative effect on Klay. 

Those were the comments of his I focused on.  All of these were proven incorrect at the time. Fast forward to now - still incorrect.  Even with Klay in the worst prolonged slump of his career, he is still averaging 20.9 PPG (more than Buddy) with 1.2 steals (0.5 steals for Buddy) and 0.7 blocks (0.4 blocks for Buddy). 

For me, I never said Buddy sucks or called the dude a fool.  I just pointed out the facts between the two and they still remain true.  Safe for him to come out of the woodwork now while Klay is slumping hard.  But facts are facts.  Buddy is having his best year, but he still isn't better than Klay - slumping version and normal version.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Won?  He said Klay was a poor man's Buddy Hield, Klay won't average 20 PPG and Buddy will have better peripheral stats. He also implied that Durant had been having a negative effect on Klay. 

Didnt recall the exact argument so obviously I gave the guy way to much credit. I do wonder though what is Klays numbers this year with and without Steph?? 

13 hours ago, chud12 said:

Didnt recall the exact argument so obviously I gave the guy way to much credit. I do wonder though what is Klays numbers this year with and without Steph?? 

Around 25ppg but inflated from his mega game. His FGA was way up too.

I worry that when Boogie is in the rotation, Klay will eat even less.

9 hours ago, ovofnd said:

Boogie is going to be on a heavy minutes restriction when he comes back and we aren't even sure he'll be his old self.  The good thing is that Klay knows he's struggling and is still incredibly valuable during this bad stretch. His stocks have been up which is encouraging.  I am currently trying to buy low on Klay because this window will close soon. 

10 hours ago, ovofnd said:

And what is it with Steph?  

On 12/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, ovofnd said:

Josh Lloyd also values him as a top 75 asset, which I disagree with. Klay will end up being top 40 imho

But...how? He was able to reach those heights in previous years because his volume of threes dwarfed basically everyone else in the league. Now it doesn't. His almost exact same production isn't worth what it used to be, so what's he adding? 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

But...how? He was able to reach those heights in previous years because his volume of threes dwarfed basically everyone else in the league. Now it doesn't. His almost exact same production isn't worth what it used to be, so what's he adding? 

How?

By not shooting 43% for the ROS.

And I mean he does other things too..it's on his stats page.

34 minutes ago, SkalChriston said:

How?

By not shooting 43% for the ROS.

And I mean he does other things too..it's on his stats page.

No, the point is he could produce the exact same stats as he has in the past and still not be top 40.  That's what people are saying.  His threes have hovered around three a game for years now, but that's gotten less and less valuable so his ranking has dropped. 

https://basketballmonster.com/PlayerInfo.aspx?i=3399

Look at that Z score plummet. 

• Like 1