Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shai-Gilgeous Alexander 2018-19 season outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If ESPN can't get this guy a headshot 5 weeks into the season there's no way you're getting another position tag.

It's so easy to spot those who missed out on SGA. 

Look at how he reads the defense. Doesn't rush his shots. Uses his length (7 ft wingspan) and timing to block Middleton and Bledsoe.  This kid doesn't play like a rookie and needs to be rostered in

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, adam_magic said:

Is this guy worth using the #1 waiver on? In a pretty competitve league and he will get snapped up after being dropped.

Why would you blow a #1 waiver on someone that went 11-2-4? give me some of what this thread is smoking

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

Why would you blow a #1 waiver on someone that went 11-2-4? give me some of what this thread is smoking

Because as I said, I'm in a super competitive keeper league and I'm looking at potential too. No.1 waiver is only useful if good players are dropped and that rarely happens in my league! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, adam_magic said:

Because as I said, I'm in a super competitive keeper league and I'm looking at potential too. No.1 waiver is only useful if good players are dropped and that rarely happens in my league! 

You didn't say keeper league, surprised he isn't already owned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, panthers93 said:

Why would you blow a #1 waiver on someone that went 11-2-4? give me some of what this thread is smoking

Well this is literally his first ever nba game lol so considering that, it's a decent statline. And if you watched the game, he looked really good out there, making some nice passes, moves on offense and solid defense. He should get plenty of burn as the clippers pg of the future. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We know he has the talent but according to majority of the posters, minutes are the problem. However, rw just posted this quote from Doc. Does doc usually keep his word or is there still a high probability that his minutes will flip flop?

 

Quote:

In addition to Boban, coach Doc Rivers said we’re going to see a lot of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander going forward. “Shai’s gonna play a lot,” Rivers said. “Shai’s a good basketball player. I don’t think we should be surprised if he plays a lot of minutes.” He played 28 minutes in the opener, scoring an efficient 11 points with two rebounds, four assists, one steal and one block. He was a stud at the Summer League and I think he’s the best point guard in his class, and it’s pretty cool that Rivers is willing to use him alongside Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams. There will be some bumps along the way, but his outlook is only going to improve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2018 at 5:59 PM, adam_magic said:

He was drafted but dropped before the opener. 

 

Thats ridiculous in a keeper league - unless it’s 10 teams or less, then maybe I can understand, will only get better across the season.

Edited by bkw77
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jake97 said:

We know he has the talent but according to majority of the posters, minutes are the problem. However, rw just posted this quote from Doc. Does doc usually keep his word or is there still a high probability that his minutes will flip flop?

 

Quote:

In addition to Boban, coach Doc Rivers said we’re going to see a lot of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander going forward. “Shai’s gonna play a lot,” Rivers said. “Shai’s a good basketball player. I don’t think we should be surprised if he plays a lot of minutes.” He played 28 minutes in the opener, scoring an efficient 11 points with two rebounds, four assists, one steal and one block. He was a stud at the Summer League and I think he’s the best point guard in his class, and it’s pretty cool that Rivers is willing to use him alongside Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams. There will be some bumps along the way, but his outlook is only going to improve. 

Doc doesn't like to play rookies... But if he plays Shay nearly 30 mins in the opener, it's because the kid EARN IT. So Shai might force his way into the line up, cause he's 6.6 ft with good defensive instincts and the guy can play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing SGA could play eventually play 3 positions in this league, it is intriguing. Could rack up defensive categories easily with his 7 ft wingspan.

Since I am not in a keeper league, what I am noticing after his 1st game (small sample size obviously) and his college stats, is how his value will be heavily affected by his willingness to shoot from the perimeter.

"Made 40% of his threes and over 81% of his free throws at Kentucky" nbadraft.net

But that is only 0.6 threes made of 1.5 three point attempts. If Doc gives him the green light, his value will skyrocket.
Hoping SGA makes a huge leap similar to Mitchell, DM averaged 0.6 threes of 2.3 attempts in his freshmen year at Louisville. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Heavy_Jon said:

Doc doesn't like to play rookies... But if he plays Shay nearly 30 mins in the opener, it's because the kid EARN IT. So Shai might force his way into the line up, cause he's 6.6 ft with good defensive instincts and the guy can play. 


Plus SGA is in a great situation where the only PG he needs to replace is Beverley. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the game yesterday and this guy can definitely play, dare I say the best guard in this years draft (yes I said it, Trae). More of combo guard that can even stretch to 3. He had good looks but cant make it fall but it's just a matter of time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

Watched the game yesterday and this guy can definitely play, dare I say the best guard in this years draft (yes I said it, Trae). More of combo guard that can even stretch to 3. He had good looks but cant make it fall but it's just a matter of time.

Uh Sexton?

 

Im not touching this guy yet until he gets consistent minutes in the upper 20s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

Watched the game yesterday and this guy can definitely play, dare I say the best guard in this years draft (yes I said it, Trae). More of combo guard that can even stretch to 3. He had good looks but cant make it fall but it's just a matter of time.

 

I'm a little concerned about whether it'll take too much patience to stash him. I caught parts of the game yesterday, and it seems he's moreso looking to facilitate. Only attempted two shots. Dimes are decent. Seems as if he has physical traits to get stocks, but none yesterday. I'm certain he'll be starting soon, but not sure how long it'll take before his production catches up. What are your thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...