NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shai-Gilgeous Alexander 2018-19 season outlook

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If ESPN can't get this guy a headshot 5 weeks into the season there's no way you're getting another position tag.

It's so easy to spot those who missed out on SGA. 

Look at how he reads the defense. Doesn't rush his shots. Uses his length (7 ft wingspan) and timing to block Middleton and Bledsoe.  This kid doesn't play like a rookie and needs to be rostered in

Posted Images

I feel like Kentucky players overachieving and exceeding expectations is just the norm now*.  I tried to get him in most leagues where I could.  Going forward, I think he could provide 12 team value more often than not this year.

*Funny, considering how badly they got shellacked the other day.

16 hours ago, kev777zero said:

Tough call at the moment. Both are suppose to start ROS. White has a super fantasy friendly game and can contribute in all categories. Shai is a little more raw, so lower floor but higher ceiling as well. I own both but if chose one it be Shai!

IMO White based on his additional experience and what I've seen of him, and he also projects better fantasy production via BBM.

That said...I own both.

I'm not tryna overhype, but SGA reminds me of a young Chris Paul, with length.  I'm higher on him than any rookie in this class, 2nd is Bamba, for all around positive affect on his team.  I'm thinking 3-4th round next year, but yes it's super early.  Just going off of his body type, skill set, and opportunity.  This Clippers team, and Doc know they have a diamond.  They don't have a Superstar that will negatively affect team ball or development. 

I can see SGA, Harrell and Tobias as a nice core.  Gallinari is a great fit until he gets hurt, too.  It's a fun team to watch, and root for, and SGA is a smart young man with great basketball IQ for a rookie.  I'd value him very highly in dynasty leagues, considering there are some rookies with obvious flaws that will become much more obvious as times goes on.  1 would be Ayton and his terrible defense. Trey Young with his very obvious size issue on defense as well.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I'm not tryna overhype, but SGA reminds me of a young Chris Paul, with length.  I'm higher on him than any rookie in this class, 2nd is Bamba, for all around positive affect on his team.  I'm thinking 3-4th round next year, but yes it's super early.  Just going off of his body type, skill set, and opportunity.  This Clippers team, and Doc know they have a diamond.  They don't have a Superstar that will negatively affect team ball or development. 

I can see SGA, Harrell and Tobias as a nice core.  Gallinari is a great fit until he gets hurt, too.  It's a fun team to watch, and root for, and SGA is a smart young man with great basketball IQ for a rookie.  I'd value him very highly in dynasty leagues, considering there are some rookies with obvious flaws that will become much more obvious as times goes on.  1 would be Ayton and his terrible defense. Trey Young with his very obvious size issue on defense as well.

I agree but long-term JJJ will outshine them all. 6-11 235 Thick build at 18 years old he'll grow another inch at least. Blocks per 36 is historic & unheard of, strange shot but it works dropping 3's consistently already. Grizzles was the perfect landing spot too, his upside is just spectacular. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dragonballz said:

Rosterable in 12 team standard 9 cat leagues?

Definitely worth it for the upside.  Just expect the ups and downs of holding a rookie on a team that is competing.  He's been shooting the 3ball well and if he can manage one 3 a game, he will be a solid PG with great defensive stats that won't hurt you anywhere.  Patience is the key with this one.

• Thanks 1

This might be a question more appropriate for the Assistant Coach forum, but I'll ask it here.  Do you guys think SGA provides a higher level of value than some of the other rookies such as Mo Bamba and Mitch Rob, or fringe waiver wire players such as Noah Vonleh and Trevor Ariza ROS? 

1 minute ago, MJtheGOAT said:

This might be a question more appropriate for the Assistant Coach forum, but I'll ask it here.  Do you guys think SGA provides a higher level of value than some of the other rookies such as Mo Bamba and Mitch Rob, or fringe waiver wire players such as Noah Vonleh and Trevor Ariza ROS? 

Yes definitely over everyone but bamba. Think him and bamba are close depending on format but bamba also has late season upside if vuc gets traded

26 minutes ago, EmbiidGOAT said:

I agree but long-term JJJ will outshine them all. 6-11 235 Thick build at 18 years old he'll grow another inch at least. Blocks per 36 is historic & unheard of, strange shot but it works dropping 3's consistently already. Grizzles was the perfect landing spot too, his upside is just spectacular. 

I can't blame you for picking JJJ as the number 1 long term rookie in this class.  He's the youngest, I believe, and has ridiculous physical attributes, and god given abilities.  Plus he's on a team who's fan base desperately needs a shot of young adrenaline into their line up, but still have Conley and Gasol who play great basketball, and are underrated year after year.  I liked the signing of Ben Mclemore, and had high hopes for him long-term for this Grizzlies team, but he seems to be a bust because of small hands, and more focus on his family, than his career but maybe he comes alive once his new baby gets a little older.

Anyway, I hope other team owners held on to SGA, and took my advice to expect the starting PG spot ASAP,.  Typical rookies, especially PG's have large, obvious liabilities in their game usually on defense, but SGA is the exception.  Defense is actually a strength, both fantasy wise and real life.  He won't take forced shots, and won't make the ill-advised pass, which means very small likelihood of him hurting your FG% or TO's too much, aside from the off night, here and there..  Just plug him in at PG/SG spot, and think of him as a glue guy to compliment whatever your team build is.  

He is exactly the type of player that will slowly develop, and gain incremental responsibilities from his coach on offense as a play-maker on the pick and roll and transition.  Don't expect typical mental lapses either like we'd see with other young guards like D Lo, because he's locked in all game, and plays with a smooth, slowed down knack for the game.   

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, MJtheGOAT said:

I'd take SGA over both, but if you can stash Bamba, DO IT.

Vuc is getting moved come ASB, and the Magic will be previewing their nasty SF/PF/C young defense second half. Bamba is going to get comfortable in a hurry once the minutes come, and his defensive stats will be off the charts.  Expect a 3 per game on top of 10/10, too when that time comes.  He's the real deal, and worked out with already established, young NBA talent who see Mamba as part of the future big man stubs like Embiid.

• Like 1