NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 Offseason Closer Thread

bradwatson

Just now, meh2 said:

I agree that I’m sure SF would love to see Melancon pitching well in the closer role so that he could build up some trade value to get out from under some of the remaining money on his deal. But I doubt he has anything left in his arm. He’s pitching like garbage this spring. If Smith isn’t closing right away it won’t take long for Melancon to give it up.

the guy was so good from like 2013 to 2016.  i cant seen him being done at 33 years old

On 3/17/2019 at 1:15 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Exactly.  That just sounds like a Rotoworld blurb guy.  Only way Barnes starts out in the role is if Brasier's pinkie is hurting still.

Took Brasier in both my leagues literally because how much u have pumped him up all offseason. Hope your right lol. 🤞😬

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

the guy was so good from like 2013 to 2016.  i cant seen him being done at 33 years old

That was before his arm tissue started dying. I'm amazed he made it back last year at all.

He turns 34 on Opening Day and I can't imagine it's going to get better going forward.

10 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

It’s not so much his age, imo, as it is the health of his arm. His pronator muscle may have healed some, but I’d bet there’s still a lot of scar tissue and other unhealthy tissue still hanging around in his forearm. Remember this was the state of his arm when he got stem cell therapy:

In spring training, Melancon addressed the uncertainty of the pronator surgery, saying the muscle “had turned gray. It wasn’t completely dead, but over time, it was dying. The doctor was shocked when he saw the grayness. His hope is that it turns back to the normal reddish color. He doesn’t know how long it’ll take.”

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s not so much his age, imo, as it is the health of his arm. His pronator muscle may have healed some, but I’d bet there’s still a lot of scar tissue and other unhealthy tissue still hanging around in his forearm. Remember this was the state of his arm when he got stem cell therapy:

In spring training, Melancon addressed the uncertainty of the pronator surgery, saying the muscle “had turned gray. It wasn’t completely dead, but over time, it was dying. The doctor was shocked when he saw the grayness. His hope is that it turns back to the normal reddish color. He doesn’t know how long it’ll take.”

Yea I’m still shocked he’s even pitching.

14 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Who’s the best bet in KC right now? Peralta or Box? 

Even though nobody has been named and Box has been awful while Peralta has been good I still think Box gets the first crack. I don't think his leash will be long though. 

What about the MIN situation? I expect as well as most think May gets it but does anyone think Parker could get the job come Opening Day?

Edit: I forgot to mention Rogers in MIN who is their best reliever. Does the new manager go with him?

Edited by BostonCajun

Other than this thread I used Closer Monkey quite a bit to track bullpen news and changes. From what I can tell that site is no longer being regularly updated. Last depth chart update was 2/18, no recent tweets etc. Anyone know if the site is not being as actively managed and if there are other good sources of information. I am thinking this thread may be the go to place for closer news. Often news breaks here before anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Other than this thread I used Closer Monkey quite a bit to track bullpen news and changes. From what I can tell that site is no longer being regularly updated. Last depth chart update was 2/18, no recent tweets etc. Anyone know if the site is not being as actively managed and if there are other good sources of information. I am thinking this thread may be the go to place for closer news. Often news breaks here before anywhere else.

Closer monkey has been bad for a while. This thread, and this twitter account are all you need https://twitter.com/closernews

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I know he's 5th in line but I feel like someone has to pay respect to perennial "closer of the future" Ray Black now that he finally stayed healthy and got to the show. ZIPS actually has him with a top 3 projection for K/9 at 14.44 lol. 

Melancon dies, Smith gets dealt, Moronta walks too many and boom a star is born. 

10 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

on MLB TV they just asked whether it makes sense using Eovaldi out of the bullpen.

And the answer, yet again, is no.

9 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

closer monkey has MM as closer tho.  plus hes making a ton of money, looks like will smith will be traded ASAP.  maybe boston?

Haha, never again Boston.  He was in Boston in 2012 where he imploded in spectacular fashion with a 6.20 ERA over 41 games.  And that was in his prime; not after his arm fell off. 

Also the Red Sox don't have any money to spend on a reliever because of the luxury tax penalties. They don't want to lose another draft pick period let alone for a now has been who couldn't handle Boston the first time around.

And Closer Monkey seems to be semi-inactive right now.  Hope the guy comes back for the season or someone else takes it over but for now it is useless.  But the site needs saving if but for it's little monkey logo.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Haha, never again Boston.  He was in Boston in 2012 where he imploded in spectacular fashion with a 6.20 ERA over 41 games.  And that was in his prime; not after his arm fell off. 

Also the Red Sox don't have any money to spend on a reliever because of the luxury tax penalties. They don't want to lose another draft pick period let alone for a now has been who couldn't handle Boston the first time around.

He said trade for Will Smith, not Melancon. No one’s trading for Melancon. The Giants would have to throw in Joey Bart to get someone to take that awful contract off their hands.

But Smith is only making 4.2 million and was one of the best RP in baseball last season. Not sure exactly where the Red Sox are at vs. the luxury tax but Smith would be a much more affordable option than Kimbrel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He said trade for Will Smith, not Melancon. No one’s trading for Melancon. The Giants would have to throw in Joey Bart to get someone to take that awful contract off their hands.

But Smith is only making 4.2 million and was one of the best RP in baseball last season. Not sure exactly where the Red Sox are at vs. the luxury tax but Smith would be a much more affordable option than Kimbrel.

Whoops stopped at the MM thing.  Still too much money for Boston probably though I agree Will Smith would be a good add.  But they aren't trading for arms, the cupboard is bare and they are trying to rebuild.  Giants have wanted JBJ and that isn't happening.

If i recall C Monkey did this last year also,  laid dormant until the season almost began.  However,  with all the resources online for this now,  maybe they just threw in the towel.  When they first started they were about the only thing doing a comprehensive list and deeper research.  Now it's all over the place

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And the answer, yet again, is no.

And Closer Monkey seems to be semi-inactive right now.  Hope the guy comes back for the season or someone else takes it over but for now it is useless.  But the site needs saving if but for it's little monkey logo.

my point is that I'm not just randomly pulling it from nowhere if it's actually being talked about on the MLB network. it wouldn't be talked about at all if the Red Sox were set at closer.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

my point is that I'm not just randomly pulling it from nowhere if it's actually being talked about on the MLB network. it wouldn't be talked about at all if the Red Sox were set at closer.

They talk about anything there to fill time.  Eovaldi is NOT going to the bullpen.  And hey I did agree with you about Trout just now so we aren't mortal enemies, heh.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

16 hours ago, dod959 said:

I know he's 5th in line but I feel like someone has to pay respect to perennial "closer of the future" Ray Black now that he finally stayed healthy and got to the show. ZIPS actually has him with a top 3 projection for K/9 at 14.44 lol. 

Melancon dies, Smith gets dealt, Moronta walks too many and boom a star is born. 

One to watch. Couldn't hit the side of a barn with his 80 grade FB until last year, when he went 59 innings across AA-AAA-MLB @ 3.36 BB/9 (10% BB rate). So far this spring its 3 BB in 5.1 innings. SSS, meh, who knows? If he has discovered average command and stays healthy he will be special. 

14.44 projection is no joke. The gas is for real -- FB sits at 98 and reaches 101 (he's been clocked as high as 104). It's live, with about 10 inches of rise and late arm side run. Paired with an above average slider, prototypical righty closer toolkit. Injuries include Tommy John during high school, a knee injury that restricted him to 16 innings over two seasons in college, labrum surgery on his pitching shoulder, a hand injury, a lat injury and bone spurs in his elbow. I've yet to add him, but pulling for him fershur.

*just optioned to AAA so I can wait.

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Would be a good landing spot, would be the unquestioned closer and allow Knebel be the 8th inning guy and Hader be the ultimate fireman.

Disastrous for any Knebel owners if it happens.

• Like 1