NBC Sports Edge Forums

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, Preparing the Kool-Aid said:

Asthma could be a non-issue as long as he is using his medication. I.e. the medication gets him to work just like any other person. Just saying that with medication it could technically be like this. Like he himself was saying that it doesn't affect his play. Could of course also be that he's downplaying the issue.

This was my belief from the start.  He has never really had that payday.  He is in the prime of his career.  He is having a career year.  He is a free agent at the end of this season.

I really don't want to undersell the guy though.  He is an integral part of the Lakers team and will continue to be a fantasy producer.  Just putting to rest the idea that he is capable of normal starters minutes.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- Donald Trump is president of the United States.  - The Browns aren't horrible. - Lebron is on the Lakers with Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Rajon Rondo and Javale Mcgee, and Mcgee is

What you described is a typical starter (reduced minutes) rotation.   Your last sentence may end up being true, but that is speculation at this point as we have only seen one game.  

If McGee called in sick for 4 days in a row and the company I work at, his a** would have been fired. Especially with the salary he is getting paid.  C'mon get on the court, cough and sneeze at the op

Posted Images

12 hours ago, QCJLo said:

This was my belief from the start.  He has never really had that payday.  He is in the prime of his career.  He is having a career year.  He is a free agent at the end of this season.

I really don't want to undersell the guy though.  He is an integral part of the Lakers team and will continue to be a fantasy producer.  Just putting to rest the idea that he is capable of normal starters minutes.

But it still could be that with the medication he has the condition under control and can function normally. Read an article about DeAndre Jordan who also has asthma, and it was mentioned that in Denver there's 17% less oxygen in the air, and in Utah 11%, and that DJ needs the asthma pump mostly in those places. Probably wasn't the ideal place for McGee to play with his condition (Karl had mentioned McGee frequently using the inhaler). Richard Jefferson was another asthma case. Rodman, and Harden as well. For reference:

https://www.healthline.com/health/famous-athletes-with-asthma#1 (You have NFL players, decathlete Olympic winners, marathon Olympic winners, swimmers, skiers, etc.)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/29/elite-athletes-asthma-simon-yates-team-sky-swimmers

"[...] studies found a third of Team Sky’s riders and 70% of the top British swimmers have the condition" [...] "Around half of elite cross-country skiers have the condition, as does Paula Radcliffe." [...] "The asthma-induced fall in lung function can be as much as 40%." [...] "It’s not unknown for professional cyclists to carry a reliever inhaler, which helps stop a wheeze as it begins, in the back pocket of a jersey."

https://www.nba.com/clippers/news/jordan-overcomes-asthma-even-altitude

DeAndre Jordan uses an asthma pump: When Jordan was first diagnosed he said it was a struggle at times to get a full breath of air. Now, one or two pumps on his inhaler, when needed, are all it takes to get him back to full strength. “I didn’t know why I felt like I couldn’t breathe or I felt like I had to take in two breaths,” Jordan said. “But, once I figured that out, it was like, ‘Ok, I’m not crazy. I’m not out of shape.’ It’s just this little bump in the road that I’m going to get past. But, the pump definitely helps me out a lot.”

For Jordan, who is on pace to be the second player in more than 40 years to lead the NBA in rebounds and field goal percentage in the same season, having asthma and using his inhaler is not a concern. “I don’t even think of it as a big deal,” Jordan said. [...] When they first told me, ‘Oh yeah, you developed asthma,’ I was like, ‘What? There’s no way. How do you develop asthma? You’re supposed to be born with that.’ But, I developed it, and our trainers and my doctors back home have done a good job with keeping me on top of it.”

The times Jordan is forced to stay on top of it most is when the Clippers play at altitude. In Denver, where the Clippers played for the final time this season on Monday, there is 17 percent less oxygen in the air than at sea level. In Salt Lake City, where the Clippers won, 96-87, on Friday, oxygen is about 11 percent less. Those are games when he keeps his inhaler in his sock. “I only use [the inhaler] certain times,” Jordan said. “I only use it in Denver and Utah…and sometimes if I’m running for a long period of time, or if I like I can’t get enough air, then I’ll use it.”

Said Powell [Clippers' trainer], “When we get to Denver or Utah it’s a lot more challenging. So, I make a point to make sure he has oxygen available, too. Those are two places that I have to be more conscious about it. But also when he exerts himself energy-wise, he has to really open up his bronchials more to allow more oxygen to be consumed.”

[...] Powell, though, has spent the past five seasons helping Jordan lessen the symptoms and triggers that may cause his chest and airways to tighten. So, far it has been successful. “Diet is one thing,” Powell said. “Some of the things are that he needs to have more plant-based nutrition so he doesn’t have as much mucous in his tubes. Mucous, a lot of people think it’s just nasal, but mucous also causes thickening in the lining of your tubes. By reducing that, you reduce viruses and bacterias that can affect other areas also.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/04/06/cleveland-cavaliers-richard-jefferson-severe-asthma-nba-champion/100119570/

"Jefferson’s successful career, now in its twilight, has seen its fair share of obstacles. Over the last quarter-century, his battles with severe asthma have sent him to the hospital, hindered his on-court performance and, a few years back, almost led him to retire.

[...] Jefferson attempted numerous treatments, from Ventolin inhalers to prednisone to nebulizers, but had trouble coping with some of the side effects. Later on in his career, after being traded to the San Antonio Spurs in 2009, he began to search for more long-term solutions. [...] That's when he discovered bronchial thermoplasty — an outpatient, non-drug procedure (which was approved by the FDA in 2010) where a tube, which is inserted into the airway, transmits thermal energy to help reduce smooth muscle and make breathing easier. He underwent the procedure in the summer of 2012, shortly after being traded to Golden State.

[...] "After that procedure, combining it with changing my diet and doing a ton of other things differently with my body, whether it was yoga or playing volleyball or just being really, really active, I just noticed a huge difference," Jefferson said. Five years later, Jefferson — who still suffers from asthma, though he says his symptoms are much less severe — credits bronchial thermoplasty with extending his NBA career. "Everybody is different, but the progression (from the procedure) has continued over the last few years and I think my success and how I've been able to play is a result of that."

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

He was averaging 27.1 minutes for October and so far 23.8 for November. The latter probably closer to what we will see going forward, but let's see how Chandler will hold up. With less minutes compared to October, should also be a slight dip in numbers, but nothing too drastic, especially when you consider where he was picked. Should still be nice value. Boost in blocks and FG%. Ultimate sell high probably behind though for the moment. A Chandler injury could open another peak trade opportunity.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

If / when JaVale's numbers drop, it will have far less to do with Chandler and more because he is coming back to down to earth.  He was putting up top 30 numbers.  Did we really expect that for the entire season?  I always felt he was worthy of rostering.  It was why I drafted him.  But I never expected such a high return for the whole season.  If he remains top 100, then he still outperformed his ADP.

• Like 1

Yall act like you got him in the top 75 range on draft day.

Why would you trade him if you weren't going to get elite value in return? He's going to sustain top-40 play all season with his high anchor FG%, boards and blocks.

There's absolutely no reason to sell high unless you're netting the elite big men in fantasy.

Luke is just a bad coach imo. Yesterday lakers were being blown out and the bench brought it within 10 with 5 mins to go. So the Magic brought Vuc back out and Luke for some dumb reason kept Beasley on the court guarding vuc. McGee or Chandler would had been food. Smh

Complete hypothesis, but watching every Lakers game, it seems like McGee is doing these things differently than when he was first "breaking out":

- Sticking to opposing big men more oppose to leaving his man to try to block shots.   This leads to less block shots, but actually a better basketball play for Lakers. 

- Focusing more on team rebound boxing the opposing big men out opposed to trying to go from the board himself.  Again, leads to less boards but a better basketball play.

He's still trying to block shots when it's safe to do so.  Tonight against he heat he had quite a few attempts but a lot were just really high floaters that was just out of his reach (and one where he grabbed it out of mid air instead of just tipping it which would have been a block).   Minutes are concerning and it could be a recurring theme (23-25) with Tyson available, since it's obvious that his health pretty much dictates his minutes ceiling.. but even if he ends up 10pt / 5 boards / 1.5-2blks / 0.7stl, with 60%+ FG and doesn't kill your FTs, is there someone better on your wire?