NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook

markus85

11 minutes ago, Aeris Hilton said:

Congrats to everyone who dropped this absolute bum! Wish I was right there w/ you and missing out on this monster dbl/dbl

but his playing time is not encouraging though. Zubac played all 4th and OT before fouling out.

seems like becoming a 3rd string center on this team.......:(

On 1/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, kev777zero said:

I don't get why everyone is so high on Lebron coming back and save the day, if anything this may be McGee's last effort to help owners sell high on him. There's a good chance he won't get the starting job back and it becomes an even 3 center split for minutes.

I agree, seems like his magical run is over and it has nothing to do with LBJ. Right now it's a 3-way timeshare at center, which is a fantasy nightmare.  McGee can still have some value playing only ~16 minutes, but it's nothing like what he had in the early season. The blocks will still be helpful, but I expect closer to 8 pts, 5 reb and 1.5 blk for the rest of the way, with some really bad, frustrating games mixed in with some stronger ones. Of course on reduced volume his fg% impact will be greatly reduced too. 

If something happens and he gets back up to 22+ mpg it would make him must-own again.

3 hours ago, Fat Damon said:

Any info on Channdler getting a DNP-CD yesterday?

Could we see a light at the end of the tunnel here? 

I'm not sure but seems like the right move. I think there's a chance McGee get's his starting spot back when Bron is back however it doesn't really matter as long as he's getting his minutes. 

Pierre McGee. What's his outlook? Seems a bit bleak. Zubac been stealing minutes, and if AD rolls into town, it's a wrap? Has played a bit better with Rondo back, and seemed to be meshing better also with LBJ. Minor turmoil in LA, with the "Lebron's camp" stuff, and now this potential trade.

First and foremost, what if AD does land in LA?

It is an unfortunate truth that in all sports, the team's priority will be to develop younger players while older veterans are expected to teach them about the game, identify play sets and how to face off opponents. McGee, Stephenson and Beasly are bench players but they are having a tough time with McGee having played exceptionally well prior to his injury, Stephenson had a couple of decent seasons and Beasly was highly touted coming into the league but was not able to be consistent.

I am holding onto Javale for now but if AD joins the lakers for this trade deadline, bout to Shaqtin a drop this fool'. Honestly why do they play ZuPac and fcking Chandler over McGee? McGee is a minutes monster and I'd have him play 30 minutes a game if I was the coach.

52 minutes ago, HBARZ93 said:

I am holding onto Javale for now but if AD joins the lakers for this trade deadline, bout to Shaqtin a drop this fool'. Honestly why do they play ZuPac and fcking Chandler over McGee? McGee is a minutes monster and I'd have him play 30 minutes a game if I was the coach.

That wouldn’t have anything to do with you owning him in your fantasy team would it?

Edited by gregoden

Just now, gregoden said:

That wouldn’t have anything to do with you owning him in your fantasy team would it?

It does but regardless, McGee is a legit center and in my opinion is their best center. Seems Walton is hesitant to play him the minutes he should be getting.

42 minutes ago, HBARZ93 said:

It does but regardless, McGee is a legit center and in my opinion is their best center. Seems Walton is hesitant to play him the minutes he should be getting.

Why is he so hesitant though? Hows his defense? I don't watch Laker games so I can't judge. But their must be something there (thats valid) that Walton doesn't like otherwise he's a complete idiot.

Games like this showcase McGee's potential. I do agree he is clumsy at times but honestly he is a great defender when focused, both inside and on the perimeter. His energy/defensive potential is why I think he is the Laker's best center. He is also in a contract year and as noted above, got into the argument with coach possibly over minutes. I got him in the 11th round so I am holding unless AD joins.

55 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

Why is he so hesitant though? Hows his defense? I don't watch Laker games so I can't judge. But their must be something there (thats valid) that Walton doesn't like otherwise he's a complete idiot.

He gambles a lot on defense and makes mistakes on defending PnRs and being in the wrong place and he's bad at fighting for positioning on rebounds. He is excellent at protecting the rim when he's at the rim and he alters a lot of shots. Also great on offense playing with passers like Rondo and LBJ who can use screens and throw him lobs. Chandler and he should both get more minutes than Zubac imo if the Lakers are focused on winning. Kind of hope the AD trade doesn't happen by the deadline so he can have a chance at playing next to LeBron again and setting up easy lobs and running the floor, getting 25-30 minutes per night. I'm in a position, maybe a lot of owners are, where I'm not sure what kind of player I could ask for in return by trading him because his block rate is special and I don't know the value others see in him. I wouldn't accept a lowball offer so I'm committed to riding this til it's over

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, squid-jesus said:

He gambles a lot on defense and makes mistakes on defending PnRs and being in the wrong place and he's bad at fighting for positioning on rebounds. He is excellent at protecting the rim when he's at the rim and he alters a lot of shots. Also great on offense playing with passers like Rondo and LBJ who can use screens and throw him lobs. Chandler and he should both get more minutes than Zubac imo if the Lakers are focused on winning. Kind of hope the AD trade doesn't happen by the deadline so he can have a chance at playing next to LeBron again and setting up easy lobs and running the floor, getting 25-30 minutes per night. I'm in a position, maybe a lot of owners are, where I'm not sure what kind of player I could ask for in return by trading him because his block rate is special and I don't know the value others see in him. I wouldn't accept a lowball offer so I'm committed to riding this til it's over

Interesting, I'm actually thinking of dropping him. It seemed like a perfect storm of obstacles for McGee - the Chandler signing, getting the flu, the emergence of Zubac, Lebron's extended absence, and now the potential AD trade. It's hard to see him coming close to his earlier production or even getting the opportunity to try. With either Zu starting or AD coming over, McGee looks more and more like a streamer.

I've been considering picking up Kleber for him. He'll get you similar blocks and boards as the recent version of McGee, but also some treys, a better FT%, and higher, stable playing time. Better playoff schedule in my league too (weeks 21-23). However, like you, it's really darn hard to let go of McGee.

4 minutes ago, hoop said:

Interesting, I'm actually thinking of dropping him. It seemed like a perfect storm of obstacles for McGee - the Chandler signing, getting the flu, the emergence of Zubac, Lebron's extended absence, and now the potential AD trade. It's hard to see him coming close to his earlier production or even getting the opportunity to try. With either Zu starting or AD coming over, McGee looks more and more like a streamer.

I've been considering picking up Kleber for him. He'll get you similar blocks and boards as the recent version of McGee, but also some treys, a better FT%, and higher, stable playing time. Better playoff schedule in my league too (weeks 21-23). However, like you, it's really darn hard to let go of McGee.

Good advice on Kleber. Some reports are saying that AD could be a Laker by day's end, and JaVale isn't part of the rumored packages, so that will almost completely wipe out his value. I should've added I'm in a 14 team league that has teams with 15-17 roster spots so I couldn't drop him in good conscience until I know he'd be useless. Someone already added Kleber before the KP trade took place and Powell comes off waivers tomorrow, so I guess I'll try to get him for half the defensive value of McGee, but I suppose that's better than nothing. Losing a guy you rely upon for production in certain areas for absolutely nothing sucks

18 minutes ago, hoop said:

mAxI kLeBER?!!?