NBC Sports Edge Forums

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- Donald Trump is president of the United States.  - The Browns aren't horrible. - Lebron is on the Lakers with Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Rajon Rondo and Javale Mcgee, and Mcgee is

What you described is a typical starter (reduced minutes) rotation.   Your last sentence may end up being true, but that is speculation at this point as we have only seen one game.  

If McGee called in sick for 4 days in a row and the company I work at, his a** would have been fired. Especially with the salary he is getting paid.  C'mon get on the court, cough and sneeze at the op

Posted Images

- Donald Trump is president of the United States. 

- The Browns aren't horrible.

- Lebron is on the Lakers with Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Rajon Rondo and Javale Mcgee, and Mcgee is putting up 2nd round value. 

If you told me the above would be true 2 years ago I would've laughed and called you delusional.  Reality really is stranger than fiction.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Time to ride.

This dude always had the physical attributes to be solid player. His wingspan and size is abnormal. He just needed the right type of system and mentorship to become a productive player. 

• Like 1

It goes without saying that McGee has been a phenomenal fit for this team so far (outside of very questionable pick and roll defense). Given that this is now a LeBron led Lakers, I feel pretty confident saying that this team will be active at the trade deadline. If Javale can somehow hang on to a 20ish minute role the whole year, he should be able to post low-end points, solid enough rebounds, monster fg%, and elite blocks.  I don't think it hurts to see if you can pair this guy with someone mediocre to pick up a Jarrett Allen or Myles Turner type, but McGee should be able to stick around the top 75 for at least the next 3-4 months. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation
8 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

It goes without saying that McGee has been a phenomenal fit for this team so far (outside of very questionable pick and roll defense). Given that this is now a LeBron led Lakers, I feel pretty confident saying that this team will be active at the trade deadline. If Javale can somehow hang on to a 20ish minute role the whole year, he should be able to post low-end points, solid enough rebounds, monster fg%, and elite blocks.  I don't think it hurts to see if you can pair this guy with someone mediocre to pick up a Jarrett Allen or Myles Turner type, but McGee should be able to stick around the top 75 for at least the next 3-4 months. 

I would rather have Javale McGee than Myles Turner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

I would rather have Javale McGee than Myles Turner.

Then I wish you were in my league. That's pure recency bias. It's been eight years since Javale played a full season of 20+ mpg. Even if projection wise you have them finishing in the same area, you have to take the surer thing. And that's Turner. 

1 hour ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Monster FG% and Elite blocks is what I need. could use more rebounds, but hey, oh well.

45 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Then I wish you were in my league. That's pure recency bias. It's been eight years since Javale played a full season of 20+ mpg. Even if projection wise you have them finishing in the same area, you have to take the surer thing. And that's Turner. 

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and obviously this board is for that purpose.

But it's a bit foolish to say the surer thing is Turner, when McGee has zero competition for his minutes and he's said it again after the game the whole asthma thing was overblown with him for past teams. He's showing what he's capable of with the minutes given. Add that with the Lakers style and pace they're running with - I don't see him slowing down too much. He's got a legit shot to finish in the top-50 because of his low turnover, high efficiency and block rate.

Meanwhile Turner can't even outplay Domantas Sabonis and he's looking more and more like a top-60 pick for the second straight year.

If I was in your league and you offered me Turner for McGee, I would of denied it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

1 minute ago, jiiiggz said:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and obviously this board is for that purpose.

But it's a bit foolish to say the surer thing is Turner, when McGee has zero competition for his minutes and he's said it again after the game the whole asthma thing was overblown with him for past teams. He's showing what he's capable of with the minutes given. Add that with the Lakers style and pace they're running with - I don't see him slowing down too much. He's got a legit shot to finish in the top-50 because of his low turnover, high efficiency and block rate.

Meanwhile Turner can't even outplay Domantas Sabonis and he's looking more and more like a top-60 pick for the second straight year.

If I was in your league and you offered me Turner for McGee, I would of denied it.

Well-said jiiiggz. I certainly don't have to take Turner in that situation, although I can see an argument for both sides. I am looking for a fg% anchor and Javale will definitely be that, even if he does go back to 20 minutes. Plus, in my opinion, McGee has a higher ceiling this season (and a much lower floor). Let's assume his ceiling is his per game averages over the first 5 games. If he keeps going at 80% of that level, then that would put him as a more productive player than Turner with near certainty.  Turner might even lose his spot to Sabonis soon, so his floor isn't great either.

49 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

Well-said jiiiggz. I certainly don't have to take Turner in that situation, although I can see an argument for both sides. I am looking for a fg% anchor and Javale will definitely be that, even if he does go back to 20 minutes. Plus, in my opinion, McGee has a higher ceiling this season (and a much lower floor). Let's assume his ceiling is his per game averages over the first 5 games. If he keeps going at 80% of that level, then that would put him as a more productive player than Turner with near certainty.  Turner might even lose his spot to Sabonis soon, so his floor isn't great either.

I don't think Turner will lose his official starting spot, because indy needs to try and justify giving him $80 million. I was in there minority 2 weeks ago when I was saying that was an awful signing. He's been meh, hasn't always kept himself in top shape even before getting paid, and they're have Sabonis who's cheaper for another year. 

But back to Mcgee, how is he still only 80% owned in CBS leagues? I know there's a good chance that this is a mirage, but still. He's currently top 25 OVERALL by my leagues scoring settings, and he plays the hardest position to find on the wire. I don't get it 

16 minutes ago, Dominator83 said:

I don't think Turner will lose his official starting spot, because indy needs to try and justify giving him $80 million. I was in there minority 2 weeks ago when I was saying that was an awful signing. He's been meh, hasn't always kept himself in top shape even before getting paid, and they're have Sabonis who's cheaper for another year. 

But back to Mcgee, how is he still only 80% owned in CBS leagues? I know there's a good chance that this is a mirage, but still. He's currently top 25 OVERALL by my leagues scoring settings, and he plays the hardest position to find on the wire. I don't get it 

A good site to see more accurate % owned is fantrax.  Don't believe they include free leagues on % owned.

4 hours ago, jiiiggz said:

4 hours ago, jay14bay said:

I never said he can't have his own opinions. Even BBM projects McGee to outproduce Turner the rest of the year. If Jay was in my league though, we'd trade lol. IMO it's recency bias to think McGee is a surer thing that Turner, who's been solid for multiple years whereas McGee rode the bench. One has a more stable history of production that the other. Even if Turner's overrated, he's likely good for 11 & 6 with 1.5-2.0 blocks. You might PROJECT that with McGee, but that might be more his ceiling area where Turner is likely locked into that as a baseline.