Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- Donald Trump is president of the United States.  - The Browns aren't horrible. - Lebron is on the Lakers with Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Rajon Rondo and Javale Mcgee, and Mcgee is

What you described is a typical starter (reduced minutes) rotation.   Your last sentence may end up being true, but that is speculation at this point as we have only seen one game.  

If McGee called in sick for 4 days in a row and the company I work at, his a** would have been fired. Especially with the salary he is getting paid.  C'mon get on the court, cough and sneeze at the op

Posted Images

I love last nights line. I think that 9-5 is close to his floor. Not quite his floor because he shot 4-5 and had 4 blocks. That kind of floor is money in the bank. He’s untradeable atm imo because there is too much disbelief in this being sustainable, but if he keeps the party going for another month that all goes away. And I would absolutely sell high at that time because of the age of his legs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philzilla said:

I love last nights line. I think that 9-5 is close to his floor. Not quite his floor because he shot 4-5 and had 4 blocks. That kind of floor is money in the bank. He’s untradeable atm imo because there is too much disbelief in this being sustainable, but if he keeps the party going for another month that all goes away. And I would absolutely sell high at that time because of the age of his legs.

 

that’s the thing. he didnt play a lot or mins since 2012. it’s like buying a used car with low mileage

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not like his legs or body were cryogenically frozen since 2012. He’s still played or practiced in the league for the last 10 years. He’s a 7 footer which doesn’t help his ankles, knees, hips, back. Obviously it’s speculation, and I’m loving the ride, but there are red flags when you think of him in terms of risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

question is will he still get touches when Ingram (second in Lakers usage so far) comes back? If he can come close to Capela or Gobert-like FGAs (5-6) and he's also fed the same way, then it's possible he can average close to 10pts, high single digit rebounds, 1+blk, 75%+ FT. Those are not bad numbers for a 3rd center.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

question is will he still get touches when Ingram (second in Lakers usage so far) comes back? If he can come close to Capela or Gobert-like FGAs (5-6) and he's also fed the same way, then it's possible he can average close to 10pts, high single digit rebounds, 1+blk, 75%+ FT. Those are not bad numbers for a 3rd center.

well they dont always run plays for him. a lot of his pts are from put backs and when he rolls of a pick. it’s not like they run isos for him. the lakers have four playmakers (bron, ball, lance, and rondo) and would have 2 on the court at same time which greatly benefits him. he will cont minue to score so long as the lakers need his defensive presence where—-which is primary value in fantasy blks

Edited by thrilla1nManila
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thrilla1nManila said:

well they dont always run plays for him. a lot of his pts are from put backs and when he rolls of a pick. it’s not like they run isos for him. the lakers have four playmakers (bron, ball, lance, and rondo) and would have 2 on the court at same time which greatly benefits from. he will cont to score so long as the lakers need his defensive presence—-which is primary value in fantasy blks

I never thought 'defensive presence' will ever describe McGee, but that's what he is in the Lakers now, isnt he? As long as you have freakish athleticism there will always be use for you haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think a slight reduction in mins is necessarily a bad thing for McGee.  He is not accustomed to 25-30 mpg -- all the added run is a bit concerning to his outlook for ROS.  I'll take 22-25 mpg from this guy as a freebie off the waiver wire, where he's still able to post 1.5-2.0 BLK/gm.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

A number of people in this thread are pushing McGee for more minutes.  He's played 30 minutes twice so far in this young season, something I had hoped for if you look back on my previous posts.  However, those extra minutes are slowly looking like a net-negative, which is also something I worried about.  He and the coach are claiming the asthma is not an issue, but what else are they going to say?  McGee is playing for maybe his biggest contract after this season.  Coach Walton is in dire need of McGee's services at the center position.  But his asthma is definitely an issue.  If you watch how Walton subs McGee, this becomes obvious.  He is purposely playing him in spurts, shorter minutes with intermittent rests.

 

The speed the Lakers play at is extremely fast, second only to Washington.  McGee's asthma is definitely not a non-factor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moritz Wagner has been cleared to play beginning with tonight's game.  I see this as having no effect on McGee's value, even if Wagner starts to show signs of being the next Dirk Nowitzki.  He's a completely different type of player than McGee.  He can stretch the floor with his shooting and brings a great deal of energy but his rim protection is fairly non-existent.  Johnathan Williams has been mediocre as the back up center, so those minutes are still very much up for grabs.  I foresee an eventual split between Williams and Wagner if Wagner displays any sort of competence and a full takeover of the position if he shows himself as capable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...