NBC Sports Edge Forums

Javale McGee 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- Donald Trump is president of the United States.  - The Browns aren't horrible. - Lebron is on the Lakers with Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Rajon Rondo and Javale Mcgee, and Mcgee is

What you described is a typical starter (reduced minutes) rotation.   Your last sentence may end up being true, but that is speculation at this point as we have only seen one game.  

If McGee called in sick for 4 days in a row and the company I work at, his a** would have been fired. Especially with the salary he is getting paid.  C'mon get on the court, cough and sneeze at the op

Posted Images

On 10/30/2018 at 6:42 AM, QCJLo said:

A number of people in this thread are pushing McGee for more minutes.  He's played 30 minutes twice so far in this young season, something I had hoped for if you look back on my previous posts.  However, those extra minutes are slowly looking like a net-negative, which is also something I worried about.  He and the coach are claiming the asthma is not an issue, but what else are they going to say?  McGee is playing for maybe his biggest contract after this season.  Coach Walton is in dire need of McGee's services at the center position.  But his asthma is definitely an issue.  If you watch how Walton subs McGee, this becomes obvious.  He is purposely playing him in spurts, shorter minutes with intermittent rests.

The speed the Lakers play at is extremely fast, second only to Washington.  McGee's asthma is definitely not a non-factor.

Yet another horrible post by this guy, acting like he has facts, when in reality, he's just a Laker homer and guessing things. So don't listen to him.  Walton was specifically asked the other day why he plays JaVale in spurts and he answered it's because of the way JaVale plays, he said he is all over the court both on offense and especially on defense and he is extremely active, sprinting down the court and beating the opposing teams centers consistently, blocking shots, etc. and while he appreciates that type of play from him, it's best to play him in spurts because of the super high energy he gives whenever he is on the court, something he and no one can maintain without a break here and there. It does not have to do with his asthma as was previously stated.

As a side note, here is a quote from JaVale himself the other day : “Stop bringing that up like I’m out here wheezing and having asthma attacks,” he said in a controlled but impassioned postgame declaration. “I’ve never had an asthma attack in my life. I feel like that’s definitely lowered my value as a basketball player.

I have to admit I learned about this guy on Sharon A Fool.. but that time with the Warriors paid off.  He just hustles, plain and simple. Excited to see him getting these good stats!

shout out to Otto Porter for improving after Shaqtin A Fool as well.

1 minute ago, kane said:

Lakers still have Zubac and rookie Wagner can play C but they are raw and can't play def

Um..

Zubac is and has been absolutely trash - this is his third year and he has yet to show any improvements what so ever.

Wagner may get some minutes sure, but he's not expected to just enter the rotation and take minutes away from McGee.

Barring any trades or injuries, McGee is locked into a 28 + minute role. It also helps McGee provides the only defense the Lakers has.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, atlantadynasty said:

Lets all hope that Walton is gonna stick around cause if a new coach comes in, things could change

Well whoever the coach I can see McGee playing 25 mins which should be enough to get good value out of him. Sometimes I feel Walton will run him to the ground with those 30+ mins games because McGee is not holding back even for a second.

Certainly they were going to add another big at some point, but I wanted to keep living in my fantasy where McGee would be the only capable big ROS. Lol.

No worries at all. I’m certain Javale will still produce a lot of value ROS given his contributions to the team, and given where Chandler is at this stage in his career.

Edited by hoop
4 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

We should be fine, 28 mins per game probably. Chandler is too old by now 

McGee is averaging 28 minutes/game right now as it is. That's certainly going to go down now with Chandler in the mix.

1 minute ago, atlantadynasty said:

But Mcgee has been playing well and Lakers tempo is pretty fast no?

That's my thinking. I've watched every Laker game this season. He's an obvious great fit and makes a big impact, and they seem to highly value his presence on both ends of the floor. I believe Chandler will eat into his minutes a little (or maybe it'll affect Johnathan Williams more), but he'll still get a good amount of playing time. Not sure he'll be able to sustain his current second-round value, but no worries at all here.

• Like 1