Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Boban Marjanovic 2018-2019 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2018 at 7:02 AM, richg24 said:

Look at the teams other centers too though. Gortat at tail end of his career been regressing for years now. He is not an asset on offense or defense. Harrell is more of a 4 and also not a good player. It's not that hard to see that Boban could start to get 20 mpg. Frank Lawrence was asked if boban will play more and he answered "without a doubt". So now we have heard from 3 people in the team, Gortat, doc, and the president that they want to keep playing boban more. I'd rather take a chance and listen to them rather than the guys that hate on him by just saying hes too slow for modern nba. He's slow ya but hes almost 7'5 and he has a dominating presence. If his mins dont ramp up to 20 or so in the next week 5 games maybe he will be worth cutting but for now he is worth holding to see what happens 

 

4 days later and he's barely played. He's not gonna see run against the Rockets next game either. Like I said, fool's gold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you don't pick up Boban after 1 game and then drop him after the next, are you really playing fantasy basketball?

A broken foot, strained hamstring, knee tendonitis, ankle stress fracture...

Since it was an early game I've decided to watch Clippers and Magic yesterday and I've decided to make a short video to try and convince some of you guys why Boban will NEVER play significant minutes,

Posted Images

On 10/22/2018 at 3:08 AM, miasma16 said:

Stop listening to this seemingly arbitrary hype train and drop him. I feel bad for all the people that had to choose between him and Cedi on Wednesday and chose wrong. I tried to help you.

 

It's not like Cedi is anything great.  He's getting a ton of minutes and shot opportunities, yet is still ranked outside the top 100 so far.   I agree that Boban won't get the minutes on the Clippers to be fantasy relevant barring an injury, but Boban's fantasy upside, if he were to ever get say 25 minutes a game, is way higher than Cedi's.  I can see an argument for choosing someone with more upside for your last bench spot on your team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, miasma16 said:

This will never, ever happen and is the problem you guys that picked Boban up keep having, inexplicably, over and over again.

 

For a last bench spot, it's not a big deal.  Standard Yahoo roto leagues have positional game limits, so you can't play all your players anyway or you will exceed your games limit by February.

 

Will Boban get enough minutes to be fantasy relevant?  No, probably not.  Boban's only chance to be fantasy relevant is a trade or an injury to Harrell.  (Gortat at this point in his career, is way over the hill and just as slow as Boban is, only without the offensive ability.)  That's more of a chance than Cedi Osman has though, since he's proven he can't do anything with the minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

For a last bench spot, it's not a big deal.  Standard Yahoo roto leagues have positional game limits, so you can't play all your players anyway or you will exceed your games limit by February.

 

Will Boban get enough minutes to be fantasy relevant?  No, probably not.  Boban's only chance to be fantasy relevant is a trade or an injury to Harrell.  (Gortat at this point in his career, is way over the hill and just as slow as Boban is, only without the offensive ability.)  That's more of a chance than Cedi Osman has though, since he's proven he can't do anything with the minutes.

are you saying you'd rather own boban than cedi? if so, let me know so i can laugh at you. if not, rephrase your post so that there's a point to it. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, panthers93 said:

are you saying you'd rather own boban than cedi? if so, let me know so i can laugh at you. if not, rephrase your post so that there's a point to it. 

 

I'm saying Boban has a lot more upside than Cedi if he ever gets enough minutes.  We've already seen that even with a ton of minutes, Cedi isn't even a top 100 fantasy player.  If Boban were to ever get 25, or even 20, minutes a game, he'd be significantly better fantasy wise than Cedi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

I'm saying Boban has a lot more upside than Cedi if he ever gets enough minutes.  We've already seen that even with a ton of minutes, Cedi isn't even a top 100 fantasy player.  If Boban were to ever get 25, or even 20, minutes a game, he'd be significantly better fantasy wise than Cedi.

 

Sorry, but there is a reason the dude has been in the league for 5  years, on 3 teams, always produces pts/rebs at an incredible rate but never gets more PT. It's because he is a tremendous liability on defense, especially in the modern NBA that has big shooting 3's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Sorry, but there is a reason the dude has been in the league for 5  years, on 3 teams, always produces pts/rebs at an incredible rate but never gets more PT. It's because he is a tremendous liability on defense, especially in the modern NBA that has big shooting 3's. 

 

Sorry, but it's a total myth that Boban just puts up numbers while hurting the team with his defense more than he helps with his offense.  For his career, Boban's teams have scored 125 points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor and have allowed 100 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Check out this link if you don't believe me: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/marjabo01.html  And other than his first year in San Antonio, Boban's played on below average teams.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Sorry, but it's a total myth that Boban just puts up numbers while hurting the team with his defense more than he helps with his offense.  For his career, Boban's teams have scored 125 points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor and have allowed 100 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Check out this link if you don't believe me: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/marjabo01.html  And other than his first year in San Antonio, Boban's played on below average teams.

 

 

 

Maybe instead of repeating what you said a page ago, which I already debunked, you can try watching him play basketball to understand that you're wrong. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Sorry, but it's a total myth that Boban just puts up numbers while hurting the team with his defense more than he helps with his offense.  For his career, Boban's teams have scored 125 points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor and have allowed 100 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Check out this link if you don't believe me: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/marjabo01.html  And other than his first year in San Antonio, Boban's played on below average teams.

 

 

 

 

You're using stats wrong. Did you take into consideration his opposition, match-ups and the minutes he was given? He only plays in 40-50 games per year. Most of his minutes are probably against bench players. When he's unplayable due to his defense, he gets a quick yank. He basically only gets spot minutes and usually when the match-up is favorable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LuN said:

 

You're using stats wrong. Did you take into consideration his opposition, match-ups and the minutes he was given? He only plays in 40-50 games per year. Most of his minutes are probably against bench players. When he's unplayable due to his defense, he gets a quick yank. He basically only gets spot minutes and usually when the match-up is favorable.

 

For his career, whenever he's played 15+ minutes in a game, his teams are 18-8.  It's not like he has just piled up that impressive plus-minus in a few minutes of garbage time after the game has been decided.  

 

People say he can't play well vs the Rockets and D'Antoni's spread 3 point shooting offense (and certainly Doc Rivers never gave him the chance this week), but on 4/7/17 with the lottery-bound Pistons, he did pretty well when given the chance.  He put up 27 PTS and 12 REB in 28 minutes in a 114-109 road win against the 55-win Rockets.

 

Is Boban a perfect player with no flaws?  No, obviously not.  However whenever he's been given a chance to play significant minutes, his plus offensive contributions have far exceeded his negative defensive contributions.  Besides, at this point, Gortat is way over the hill and is almost as slow as Boban but without Boban's offensive skills.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, FootballFan101 said:

 

Sorry, but it's a total myth that Boban just puts up numbers while hurting the team with his defense more than he helps with his offense.  For his career, Boban's teams have scored 125 points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor and have allowed 100 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Check out this link if you don't believe me: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/marjabo01.html  And other than his first year in San Antonio, Boban's played on below average teams.

 

 

 

 

Yeah, he is a garbage time Hall of Fame caliber player. Every team that has him and lets him just doesn't see the obvious greatness that only you see. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For real.  Anyone watching this game is seeing Embiid wreck the whole LAC front line.  The reason Boban is playing (and thus getting counting stats) is because he had less fouls than the other guys.  But even after the posterization talked about above, Embiid just drove to the rim and Boban had to foul him.  Embiid made one and the Sixers increased their lead.

 

Don't get excited about this one.  This is a product of Embiid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...