NBC Sports Edge Forums

Boban Marjanovic 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you don't pick up Boban after 1 game and then drop him after the next, are you really playing fantasy basketball?

A broken foot, strained hamstring, knee tendonitis, ankle stress fracture...

Since it was an early game I've decided to watch Clippers and Magic yesterday and I've decided to make a short video to try and convince some of you guys why Boban will NEVER play significant minutes,

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

lmao have you been holding boban all year and missing out on actual seasonlong useful players

Roto leagues have yearly positional game limits.  If you start all your players every game, you'll be out of games remaining by the end of February.

So for my bench spots I like to stash players like Boban who have upside in case they get an opportunity, not people like Cedi Osman who can't do anything even when getting a ton of minutes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Roto leagues have yearly positional game limits.  If you start all your players every game, you'll be out of games remaining by the end of February.

So for my bench spots I like to stash players like Boban who have upside in case they get an opportunity, not people like Cedi Osman who can't do anything even when getting a ton of minutes.

cedi is a better own than boban, Boban will give you a useful game once every 2 weeks (a career best) good luck guessing when those come in roto

• Like 3
2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

The lesson has already been learned by many of us that PER monsters with any sign of opportunity should be scooped ASAP

There have been few if any players that have ever had such great PER stats and also presented such problems with playing time, thus the constant debate.

Early Kenneth Faried springs to mind but Boban is even better for fantasy 

didn't you say bjelica was bad at basketball

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Two games in a row with 23 minutes.  By the way, even with the lack of minutes, Boban still has a significantly higher rank than your boy Cedi Osman (131 vs 221 going into tonight).

I love Boban, had to work tonight and he was gone by the time I got home but Mitchell Robinson was still there for me to pick up.

• Like 2

Since it was an early game I've decided to watch Clippers and Magic yesterday and I've decided to make a short video to try and convince some of you guys why Boban will NEVER play significant minutes, no matter what team he is on. He is a huge liability on defense and Magic players went at him throughout the whole quarter, scoring with ease. 

So please, please stop saying Doc has him chained or other things like that, because he has him chained for a good reason.

Edited by Mad Luke
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Mad Luke said:

Since it was an early game I've decided to watch Clippers and Magic yesterday and I've decided to make a short video to try and convince some of you guys why Boban will NEVER play significant minutes, no matter what team he is on. He is a huge liability on defense and Magic players went at him throughout the whole quarter, scoring with ease. 

So please, please stop saying Doc has him chained or other things like that, because he has him chained for a good reason.

Out of curiousity do you think he’s a net negative or just not as good as people think?  From the video it seems as if he’s directly responsible for giving up about 10 points in a short span, ofc we will never know whether or not another player would have also gotten scored on.  It’s difficult to imagine him scoring as quickly as he gives up points, although he’s a fun person to watch. I don’t own him anywhere so it’s purely an academic question.  

2 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Out of curiousity do you think he’s a net negative or just not as good as people think?  From the video it seems as if he’s directly responsible for giving up about 10 points in a short span, ofc we will never know whether or not another player would have also gotten scored on.  It’s difficult to imagine him scoring as quickly as he gives up points, although he’s a fun person to watch. I don’t own him anywhere so it’s purely an academic question.  

I'd say he is just not as good as people think. He is huge and has big wing span so he grabs the boards over guys without even jumping and can shoot over anybody, but being 7'3'' takes its toll in other segments of the game. He is also the heaviest player in the NBA right now, and I'd say the slowest too. 

Because of all the things mentioned, he gets boards and points very quickly, but people looking at stat lines don't realize how many points the team has given up with him on the floor and how much harder other players must work on defense to cover things up because he can't switch to anyone. What is the point to post him up and score quickly when other teams can just as quick score over him, especially three pointers. There are just too many good shooters in the NBA today on every position to not make him pay for camping on the elbow.

I have never looked at his net rating or other advanced stats, nor do I know how good or bad lineups are statistically when he's out there, but my eyes say they can't be good.

Picked him up and will happily use him for the rebounds if he continues to get decent enough minutes.  If this is an extremely short term thing and Doc stops playing him again, then that's that for that.  Not going to get worked up over him.

Tomer Azarly @TomerAzarly
FollowingFollowing @TomerAzarly
More

Doc Rivers on #Clippers' lineup flexibility (1/2) - "Well, right now, it says that the team is willing to do that. Good teams are always willing to do that. We have to see how long we can do that and if guys will accept that. If guys don't accept that, that creates..."

Tomer Azarly @TomerAzarly
FollowingFollowing @TomerAzarly
More

Doc Rivers on #Clippers' lineup flexibility (2/2) - "...chemistry problems and all that stuff, but this team so far has been very good with change. That tells you that this team likes each other and it's a good thing."

• Like 1
On 11/3/2018 at 8:09 AM, Mad Luke said:

I'd say he is just not as good as people think. He is huge and has big wing span so he grabs the boards over guys without even jumping and can shoot over anybody, but being 7'3'' takes its toll in other segments of the game. He is also the heaviest player in the NBA right now, and I'd say the slowest too. 

Because of all the things mentioned, he gets boards and points very quickly, but people looking at stat lines don't realize how many points the team has given up with him on the floor and how much harder other players must work on defense to cover things up because he can't switch to anyone. What is the point to post him up and score quickly when other teams can just as quick score over him, especially three pointers. There are just too many good shooters in the NBA today on every position to not make him pay for camping on the elbow.

I have never looked at his net rating or other advanced stats, nor do I know how good or bad lineups are statistically when he's out there, but my eyes say they can't be good.

Well since youve never looked at his net rating or advanced stats you should probably be aware he has the best career PER and true shooting percentage in the history of the NBA

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Well since youve never looked at his net rating or advanced stats you should probably be aware he has the best career PER and true shooting percentage in the history of the NBA

True shooting percentage just measures a player's efficiency at shooting the ball, that has nothing to do with defense. Of course TS% is gonna be sky high because they look for him on offense almost every time because he is so big he has a missmatch on any player. 

PER also tells little about a defense, as it mostly measures player's offensive performance. The only defensive categories included in PER are steals and blocks, and they don't tell the whole story. Again, of course he will have plenty steals and blocks because he is so long, but those stats don't exactly prove he is a good defensive player.

Since you are all in with the stats, I went and looked lineups ratings for the Clippers. The one that the Clippers use the most with Boban is the one with Beverley, Bradley, Gallinari and Harris. Although their defensive rating is pretty good (90,7), big reason for that is having Bradley and Beverley on the perimeter. If you look individualy, Boban has 12th best defensive rating on the team (or should I say 3rd worst), only in front of Mbah a Moute and Tyrone Wallace, and in defensive win shares he is 10th on the team, in front of Gortat, Teodosić, Wallace and Jerome Robinson.

Even with those advanced stats you can see that he is hurting the team more than he helps it, which is what I'm trying to say the whole time.

Edited by Mad Luke
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Mad Luke said:

True shooting percentage just measures a player's efficiency at shooting the ball, that has nothing to do with defense. Of course TS% is gonna be sky high because they look for him on offense almost every time because he is so big he has a missmatch on any player. 

PER also tells little about a defense, as it mostly measures player's offensive performance. The only defensive categories included in PER are steals and blocks, and they don't tell the whole story. Again, of course he will have plenty steals and blocks because he is so long, but those stats don't exactly prove he is a good defensive player.

Since you are all in with the stats, I went and looked lineups ratings for the Clippers. The one that the Clippers use the most with Boban is the one with Beverley, Bradley, Gallinari and Harris. Although their defensive rating is pretty good (90,7), big reason for that is having Bradley and Beverley on the perimeter. If you look individualy, Boban has 12th best defensive rating on the team (or should I say 3rd worst), only in front of Mbah a Moute and Tyrone Wallace, and in defensive win shares he is 10th on the team, in front of Gortat, Teodosić, Wallace and Jerome Robinson.

Even with those advanced stats you can see that he is hurting the team more than he helps it, which is what I'm trying to say the whole time.

No, you in no way have convinced me that he is "hurting the team more than he helps it". All you essentially said is "he's pretty bad on defense, despite being incredible on offense."

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Mad Luke said:

We're talking about fantasy right?

Is he worse than Gortat?

20 minutes a game with record breaking PERs. Why does anyone here care about his defense, or more particularly, the part of his defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet?

1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

19 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Looks like you're talking about whatever you think is convenient for your internet argument, never played in a fantasy league with PER or TS% as categories.

20 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Is he worse than Gortat?

20 minutes a game with record breaking PERs. Why does anyone here care about his defense, or more particularly, the part of his defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet?

Because the part of his defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is the reason he isn't getting more minutes.

On 06. 11. 2018. at 6:05 PM, Roto4500 said:

No, you in no way have convinced me that he is "hurting the team more than he helps it". All you essentially said is "he's pretty bad on defense, despite being incredible on offense."

I don't know if we watch the same sport, but I think trading contested post-up 2's on offense for wide open 3's on defense is not that incredible.

• Like 2

curious.......

since he will prob never get much over 20 mins (still solid in limited mins obv) is there really much of a diff from this guy to say the Tristian Thompson Ilyasova Nance Bamba types avail via waivers in many leagues? those type of guys

both are pretty much a DD in TT case or add a 3 pt stroke, Boban prob more blocks but is all the extra hype really worth it in a vacuum? 

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

curious.......

since he will prob never get much over 20 mins (still solid in limited mins obv) is there really much of a diff from this guy to say the Tristian Thompson Ilyasova Nance Bamba types avail via waivers in many leagues? those type of guys

both are pretty much a DD in TT case or add a 3 pt stroke, Boban prob more blocks but is all the extra hype really worth it in a vacuum? 

wow that's hilarious, i never thought of that lol. yeah tristan is basically boban for total fantasy production, except tristan doesn't block shots or hit free throws. tells you how much value boban has.