NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Jackson 2018 Outlook

pjbyrne707

15 minutes ago, trilly said:

Running is going to be a big part of the Chargers' game plan for multiple reasons: Chiefs are awful at stopping it, they're road dogs and will benefit from shortening the game, and the blueprint to stopping KC is controlling time of possession (see: Ravens last week even though they lost).

Running game is dictated so much by o-line performance rather than the player.  Sure there will be a drop off but in the range of 10-20%, it's very different from when a QB is missing and it torches the entire offense.  JJ is going to be fine and I'd bet on an RB1 finish.

This. Makes sense the only thing I hesitate with playing a guy like jackson over someone like aaron jones vs a bad match up is the other teams offense. GB has more likelihood to get out to a lead than the chargers and KC has the likelihood to go up by 14 and make Jackson irrelevant on the ground by half time. 10/45 and 4/25 could be a scary end line even for my flex. 

You have to think those KC D is bad and that also should give the chargers 3-5 looks inside the redzone. Im torn fellas. Its a big week.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, patsspytech said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/12/mike-taglieres-week-15-fantasy-football-rankings-2/

seems like youve got a second career career in advising of the day job doesn’t work out!  

Haha that's hilarious. Honestly though if Gordon misses those are the only guys I've even consider playing above Jackson. I disagree with his PPR rankings. I still like Chubb ahead of Jackson there.

Since everyone seems like Tagliere is a man to trust...here is his primer take:

Justin Jackson: It appears as if we’re getting Jackson as the starter on Thursday night. Many think of him as a bruiser who’s a 1-2 down back, but he’s more than that, according to his resume at Northwestern. He not only toted the ball 1,142 times over his four years there, but he also caught 122 passes for 858 yards and a touchdown. With the Chargers, he’s caught all five of his targets for 61 yards. Knowing how often Rivers targets his running backs, Jackson should be a dual-threat this week. This is important because the Chiefs have allowed a league-high 204.1 PPR points through the air to running backs. That amounts to 15.7 PPR points through the air alone each week. You now don’t question why they’ve allowed a league-high 20 running backs to finish with 12 or more PPR points. It’s not just through the air, either, as they’ve allowed a league-high 5.12 yards per carry. Jackson is set-up very nicely and should be considered a high-end RB2 who’s oozing with RB1 potential.

OMG, rotoworld intern has Justin Jackson as one of the Starts for ther start of the week. This is not good at all. When they publish thier opinion, players usually flop.

this is not good.

Starts

Justin Jackson at Chiefs: Melvin Gordon (knee) practiced on a limited basis Tuesday and Wednesday before traveling with the team to Kansas City for Thursday night’s AFC West tilt. Gordon is labeling himself a game-time decision. Meanwhile, Austin Ekeler (neck, concussion) has already been ruled out. That leaves Jackson and rookie UDFA Detrez Newsome as the lone healthy backs. Even if Gordon plays, he doesn’t figure to be anywhere close to 100 percent. He’ll still be a must-play in season-long leagues if active, but it would be hard to expect him to handle his normal workload. Jackson would seem to be involved either way. These two clubs met in Week 1 and combined for 66 points. In that one, Gordon and Ekeler combined for 34 touches, turning them into 292 yards and a touchdown. As the No. 2, Ekeler handled 10 touches and went for 126 yards and a score. The Chargers’ backs were whooping the Chiefs’ linebackers in the pass game. Gordon had 102 yards as a receiver, and Ekeler had 87. So, even if Gordon plays, there’s enough here to warrant RB2/FLEX consideration for Jackson. He shouldn’t have any trouble getting double-digit touches. And Kansas City is dead last in run-defense DVOA, 31st in fantasy points allowed to running backs, and only three teams have allowed more catches to the running back spot. This game’s 53-point total is the second-highest of the week. With Gordon active, Jackson is a top-25 play. If Gordon sits, Jackson is an RB1.

3 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

OMG, rotoworld intern has Justin Jackson as one of the Starts for ther start of the week. This is not good at all. When they publish thier opinion, players usually flop.

this is not good.

Starts

Justin Jackson at Chiefs: Melvin Gordon (knee) practiced on a limited basis Tuesday and Wednesday before traveling with the team to Kansas City for Thursday night’s AFC West tilt. Gordon is labeling himself a game-time decision. Meanwhile, Austin Ekeler (neck, concussion) has already been ruled out. That leaves Jackson and rookie UDFA Detrez Newsome as the lone healthy backs. Even if Gordon plays, he doesn’t figure to be anywhere close to 100 percent. He’ll still be a must-play in season-long leagues if active, but it would be hard to expect him to handle his normal workload. Jackson would seem to be involved either way. These two clubs met in Week 1 and combined for 66 points. In that one, Gordon and Ekeler combined for 34 touches, turning them into 292 yards and a touchdown. As the No. 2, Ekeler handled 10 touches and went for 126 yards and a score. The Chargers’ backs were whooping the Chiefs’ linebackers in the pass game. Gordon had 102 yards as a receiver, and Ekeler had 87. So, even if Gordon plays, there’s enough here to warrant RB2/FLEX consideration for Jackson. He shouldn’t have any trouble getting double-digit touches. And Kansas City is dead last in run-defense DVOA, 31st in fantasy points allowed to running backs, and only three teams have allowed more catches to the running back spot. This game’s 53-point total is the second-highest of the week. With Gordon active, Jackson is a top-25 play. If Gordon sits, Jackson is an RB1.

I find their WR picks are picks are usually the major duds, JJ is kind of a no-brainer this week.

Not sure how you can start with confidence when playing a team who might put up mad points, and force the Chargers into passing all the time. Though I Would expect the chargers D to be better than most with bosa back, and wanting to keep KC O off the field.

Time and time again we see back ups get the featured back role, and they can't live up to the starter (hunt, MG3, etc)

I'm on the fence here, and can't afford to be wrong - Goff put 1 point for me last week...ugh....gotta make up ground here.

2 minutes ago, FooserX said:

Not sure how you can start with confidence when playing a team who might put up mad points, and force the Chargers into passing all the time.

Time and time again we see back ups get the featured back role, and they can't live up to the starter (hunt, MG3, etc)

I'm on the fence here, and can't afford to be wrong - Goff put 1 point for me last week...ugh....gotta make up ground here.

Sounds to me like all the more reason you SHOULD start him since you need upside bets to pay off.  Just look again at what MG3 and Ekeler did combined against KC earlier this year - clearly not expecting anything close from JJ, but he clearly has RB1 upside.

Sure it hasn't paid off for some handcuffs, but it also has for others - Conner being the best example.

1 minute ago, trilly said:

Sounds to me like all the more reason you SHOULD start him since you need upside bets to pay off.  Just look again at what MG3 and Ekeler did combined against KC earlier this year - clearly not expecting anything close from JJ, but he clearly has RB1 upside.

Sure it hasn't paid off for some handcuffs, but it also has for others - Conner being the best example.

I will say that JJ looked GOOD 2 weeks ago. Passed the eye test big time.

1 minute ago, cnewbykkn said:

2 weeks ago he looked FANTASTIC. Not just good. 

Agree completely. It’s such a small sample size, but I loved what I saw. Good patience and vision. Strong for his size. Decent speed. This could be a real coming out party for him

4 minutes ago, brosephd said:

auto start if gordon sits. barely any competition vs. weak run D. competitive game. 

It's an auto start if your team is worn down by injuries. But if you're considering starting over other players like Michel, Chubb, Woods, Hilton, etc....it's not so auto, imo.

But on paper, definitely seems like an auto start. Though the hype train was off the hook for Samuels, Wilson, and Ware....and they put up duds.

5 minutes ago, FooserX said:

It's an auto start if your team is worn down by injuries. But if you're considering starting over other players like Michel, Chubb, Woods, Hilton, etc....it's not so auto, imo.

But on paper, definitely seems like an auto start. Though the hype train was off the hook for Samuels, Wilson, and Ware....and they put up duds.

They all put up double digit points in .5 ppr.  I'd hardly call that duds for 2nd/3rd/4th string RBs.  It's foolish to go in expecting 20+ points, but it's a good matchup.  If Jackson puts up 12-15 pts I think you have to walk away satisfied, right?

4 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

They all put up double digit points in .5 ppr.  I'd hardly call that duds for 2nd/3rd/4th string RBs.  It's foolish to go in expecting 20+ points, but it's a good matchup.  If Jackson puts up 12-15 pts I think you have to walk away satisfied, right?

Not really. 18+ is what I would be happy with. 12 points? For an RB1 potential? lol...not burning WW money on 12 points.

1 minute ago, Rickydragon said:

Rb 1 upside for a kid that’s never started before?  This place is a riot lol

Its mostly due to his great career in college and the limited quantity mainly against Pitt. The match up is A+ and his touches opportunity is same.

2 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

Rb 1 upside for a kid that’s never started before?  This place is a riot lol

Bad Rush D + No other healthy RB + great offense + high scoring game possibility 

not sure why your so taken aback lol

unless your eliminated and saltyyyy :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

It’s just that he was like an rb2 upside guy last week, completely bombed.  And everybody complained.  Now it’s rb 1 territory?  I just get a kick out of it. 

Last week they had Ekcler

Archived