NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

No love for Trouts Powerball win today? 

I think it's great for baseball. Hopefully the Angels put a real team around him sometime before 2030. But I'm guessing the 2030 roster will be the same guys as this year  

Stuff in the Trout thread.  There was some criticism on Boston talk shows that Trout is "soft" and had rather be "comfortable" on a bad team that will be bad forever than play on a contending team like Philly and go for the ring.  Big fish is a small pond syndrome.  I think they may be on to something with that.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Stuff in the Trout thread.  There was some criticism on Boston talk shows that Trout is "soft" and had rather be "comfortable" on a bad team that will be bad forever than play on a contending team like Philly and go for the ring.  Big fish is a small pond syndrome.  I think they may be on to something with that.

I love ya, but ya gotta give those Boston talk shows a break.  

What human says no to 430m?

• Like 3

The east coast media has no idea what is going on with the Angels. Trout is soft? What a joke. Trout extended at the right time because Eppler has turned the farm system around and the Angels look like they will get a lot of help from it starting in 2020. 

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Soft?!  Wow.  And no, the Angels won’t be bad forever, either.

They went from the worst farm system to I believe now top 12 since Dipoto left. They have help coming in the next couple years and they should be in a position to contend in the next couple years. 

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

They went from the worst farm system to I believe now top 12 since Dipoto left. They have help coming in the next couple years and they should be in a position to contend in the next couple years. 

It’s crazy but Angels are already nearly a 90 win team provided Skaggs and Heaney hold up (yea, I know). While they whiffed on SPs this offseason, a healthy Bour is going to do wonders for this club. One of these years they won’t be decimated by injuries by May?

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Not exactly lighting it up this spring. It could take a while for him to reach the expected hype.

I highly doubt this. Kid has been ready since last year. Vlad may get all the love, but Eloy is right behind him.

4 hours ago, rabaak said:

Not exactly lighting it up this spring. It could take a while for him to reach the expected hype.

He kilt spring training and AAA last year. A few dozen poor at bats this Spring don't mean much,

I'll be reaching for him in every league, as I think a realistic (not worst case) floor for a full 150+ game season is .260/25/80 and the ceiling is mammoth. 

• Like 1

So Blake Swihart is the back-up catcher in Boston - any reason to run to your waiver wire in anything less than the deepest of two catcher leagues? 

Tom Murphy is also out of options with the Rox as is D'Arnaud with the Mets.  Who is looking for catching right now?  Maybe Cleveland? Any chance the Kluber/Bauer to San Diego talk could see Austin Hedges moved to the Indians?  Renfroe, Hedges and a prospect pitcher package sorta deal. 

Another major spring training causality:

The Reds announced that starting second baseman Scooter Gennett will miss the next 8-12 weeks due to a severe right groin strain.

It's a major blow for a team hoping to contend this season for the first time in years. The Reds will move Jose Peraza to second base and insert Jose Iglesias into the starting lineup at shortstop. This could affect the Reds' plans to have top prospect Nick Senzel play centerfield instead of his natural second base. The Reds have a logjam in the outfield and it may make more sense to put Senzel at second base, Peraza back at short and have Scott Schebler start in centerfield.

Source: C. Trent Rosecrans on Twitter       Mar 23, 2019, 1:20 PM

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Tough Tom Murphy waived.  Could be the break his needs

Tom Murphy has no value outside Coors. Overhyped player because of the system he’s been in. 

Should there be an in-season hot stove thread?

About the confusion between the Jays calling up Tellez instead of Alford:

Alford was in town ‘just in case for a scenario that didn’t play out’ (as per Ross Atkins)

Some speculate Kevin Pillar might be on the way out, and a very likely destination would be Arizona after they lost Souza for the year.

Edited by Hockey_Baseball