Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread


Recommended Posts

 

5 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

 

Yet the people who are laughing now are often the first to complain if the Yankees again miss out on winning the WS, Paxton gets injured and Corbin continues to dominate.

 

"We have a gazillion dollars so go spend it!"

 

The only reason the deal didn't to through was the Nats offering 6 years, Yankees and Phillies 5.

 

 

 

well it depends on the fan.  i still think they should sign happ and be players for Cole and Sale next year.  im not opposed to spending money.  im opposed to spending stupid money

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The details:

 

 

Well I picked the Mets 4th in their division and this signing nailed it.  Nats just needed another pitcher to make a top three and done and done.  And so much for Corbin going to the Yankees because of sentimental reasons.  These ball players are all business these days.

They have Mad Max, Strasburg and now Corbin. Do you not consider that a top 3?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

terrible point.

 

paxton has pitched in the AL and has 2 years of team control (projected 9 mil this year).  corbin has 6 years @ 23 mil per and no experience in the AL

 

not remotely close

 

 

 

The point I made was right on. Considering both are about the same age & have injury histories. 

 

I will agree 6/140M is a boat load of money for any pitcher. I am glad he signed with another team.  

I am just being a wise a..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

 

well it depends on the fan.  i still think they should sign happ and be players for Cole and Sale next year.  im not opposed to spending money.  im opposed to spending stupid money

No way should the Yankees go all in on Chris Sale. You would think — It’s going to happen sooner than later Chris will have that injury that we all been expecting. Let some other team give him a 6/7 year contract. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

They have Mad Max, Strasburg and now Corbin. Do you not consider that a top 3?

 

Yes I did.  Re-read my post.  Quoting myself, woot!  Corbin now makes three.

 

Quote

Nats just needed another pitcher to make a top three and done and done.

 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

No way should the Yankees go all in on Chris Sale. You would think — It’s going to happen sooner than later Chris will have that injury that we all been expecting. Let some other team give him a 6/7 year contract. 

Yep every year people say that about Sale, and yet...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Sorry i misread your post, my bad

 

No problem.  Bottom line is we both agree the Nats have their top of the rotation trinity now.

 

Meanwhile the Mets are busy thinking of trading away assets they need to get assets they need apparently.

 

Quote

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are "seriously considering" making Brandon Nimmo the centerpiece of their trade offer to the Marlins for catcher J.T. Realmuto.

 

The Mets don't have many attractive prospects left to deal after including outfielder Jarred Kelenic and pitcher Justin Dunn in the package that netted them Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz from the Mariners, but they're apparently open to moving some younger pieces from their major league roster in order to land Realmuto. Nimmo flourished in 2018, his age-25 season, posting an .886 OPS with 17 home runs and 28 doubles over 140 games. He is under contractual control through 2022. For what it's worth, Jim Bowden of The Athletic hears the Marlins are more interested in Michael Conforto and Amed Rosario than Nimmo.

 

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter                                                Dec 4 - 9:38 PM

 

Also the Mets are interested in AJ Pollock.  Probably to replace all their current outfielders they may trade away, haha.  Given Pollock's injury history I'm sure he will fit right in with the Mets and their "medical" staff.  Their front office stuff would make great material for a sitcom about a loopy baseball front office.  Maybe Seattle's can co-star.  "Looneyball," coming to a TV set near you soon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

 

 

Apparently it's not true. Make that offer to the Indians and see what you can get. Maybe the Mariners will move Hanniger for Riley/Soroka. It's worth a try. Give me one of the Indians' SP or Hanniger over Realmuto.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, SoundMaster said:

 

as a yankee fan, his Washington signing is both disappointing yet a relief.   I'd love to have him for the next 2-3 seasons, but am relieved that we wont be carrying what's likely to be a a problematic contract in years 4-5.   In years past, 4-5 wouldn't have mattered, but this yankee team continues to prove that they're indeed sticking to this new-found fiscal responsibility.

 

And where has that gotten them recently? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wanted to see the Rockies make some noise. So far, nothing. When they are in the post-season, it's so fun. I'm not even a fan of them, necessarily, but damn... Coors in the playoffs. Gimmie gimmie.

 

A few thoughts:

  • Washington Nationals: Corbin's contract is pretty freaking big. I don't think it's bad, though, since I base that around team needs and what their market is like. I think the Nats can sustain their payroll just fine. Corbin is 29, will be 35 when the contract expires, which is old. With that said, we've seen a sort of "new-age" when it comes to aging pitchers. Scherzer is 34, JV is 35, Happ is 36, Greinke is 35, Hill is 38. I'm not saying Corbin can do what they do at that age, but I'm saying it's not out of the realm of possibility to be serviceable. If you look at the Nats projected payroll, they have a lot of free space (right now) when Scherzer is off the books. So even if Corbin falters, I think they can fix things with the space they have. Still an overpay, but based on the Nats revenue and how the MLB is growing, I'm not overly worried.
     
  • New York Mets: The hell are they doing? Spending money? Using money? Since when do they have money? I don't think this deal turns them into WS contenders. Sure, it makes a run at the Division possible, and a WC appearance a very likely outcome. But a legit top 2 team in the NL? Nah. The Braves, Phillies and Dodgers are all in the NL East, and unless one of them falters or is plagued by injury, I can't see the Mets beating them. WC-wise, the Brewers proved you don't need to have a true ace, The Cardinals should be better, the Cubs aren't that bad (but their pitching is scary bad), the Nats just got better, the Rockies made the WC last year basically without a pitcher. Yeah, the NYM got a great closer in Diaz and an OK 2B in Cano, but then what? Areas of concern: Catcher (d'Arnaud), 1B (Smith?), 3B (Frazier), OF (Cespedes/Lagaras?). This team is still a mess passed deGrom.
     
  • Atlanta Braves: Donaldson is a good deal in my eyes. He stands the risk of injury, but perhaps a partially played season + offseason will help. He seemed much better in the postseason than regular season, and should help in the clubhouse. Adding McCann helps with the clubhouse as well, and we should see that team grow. Unless they have a team-wide slump, I can see them winning the Division again or earning the first WC spot.

 

That's it so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

 

  • New York Mets: The hell are they doing? Spending money? Using money? Since when do they have money? I don't think this deal turns them into WS contenders. Sure, it makes a run at the Division possible, and a WC appearance a very likely outcome. But a legit top 2 team in the NL? Nah. The Braves, Phillies and Dodgers are all in the NL East, and unless one of them falters or is plagued by injury, I can't see the Mets beating them. WC-wise, the Brewers proved you don't need to have a true ace, The Cardinals should be better, the Cubs aren't that bad (but their pitching is scary bad), the Nats just got better, the Rockies made the WC last year basically without a pitcher. Yeah, the NYM got a great closer in Diaz and an OK 2B in Cano, but then what? Areas of concern: Catcher (d'Arnaud), 1B (Smith?), 3B (Frazier), OF (Cespedes/Lagaras?). This team is still a mess passed deGrom.

 

The Dodgers are now in the NL East? Well shiiiiiiiit, Giants fans everywhere rejoicing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I think the Nats can withstand Harper’s loss, but it is a tough division.  Relying on Soto’s emergence and Robles to pick up the offensive slack while pivoting to firm up the rotation is a decent strategy.

Definitely the way to go, but that is a lot of pressure to put on Soto and Robles and even Trea Turner. If they upgrade 2B and 1B then I can see them competing for top 3. But depending on Zimm and Kendrick/Difo to produce at a high level would be a mistake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Definitely the way to go, but that is a lot of pressure to put on Soto and Robles and even Trea Turner. If they upgrade 2B and 1B then I can see them competing for top 3. But depending on Zimm and Kendrick/Difo to produce at a high level would be a mistake.

 

They're already giving Carter Kieboom playing time at 2B in the AFL. 

 

Rendon, Soto, Turner, Robles, Zimmerman, Gomes/Suzuki, Eaton, Kieboom is not a bad lineup. Zimmerman doesn't have to be elite, he needs to stay healthy. He still put up a 118 wRC+ last season. Of course they'll miss Harper but they'll get much more production from their catchers. Nationals catchers combined for a 64 wRC+ last season. Only 3 teams were worse.

 

Maybe the Nats finally realize how much speed they have in this lineup and let their players run wild, it worked for the Royals and Brewers. Let Turner and Robles run every time they get on base.

 

I also don't think the Nats are done making moves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

 

They're already giving Carter Kieboom playing time at 2B in the AFL. 

 

Rendon, Soto, Turner, Robles, Zimmerman, Gomes/Suzuki, Eaton, Kieboom is not a bad lineup. Zimmerman doesn't have to be elite, he needs to stay healthy. He still put up a 118 wRC+ last season. Of course they'll miss Harper but they'll get much more production from their catchers. Nationals catchers combined for a 64 wRC+ last season. Only 3 teams were worse.

 

Maybe the Nats finally realize how much speed they have in this lineup and let their players run wild, it worked for the Royals and Brewers. Let Turner and Robles run every time they get on base.

 

I also don't think the Nats are done making moves. 

Not a bad lineup up at all, just filled with young unproven players(Soto,Robles, Kieboom) and injury prone players.(Rendon, Zimm, Eaton). They really need a full year out of Rendon and Eaton or they will not be competing for first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to jinx it after what happened with Corbin. But Phillies seem to be favorite to acquire Bumgarner. I'm fine with getting him for 12 mil for one season than dropping 140mil for 6 with Corbin. As everyone has pointed out there's solid options in SP free agency in future off-seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Not a bad lineup up at all, just filled with young unproven players(Soto,Robles, Kieboom) and injury prone players.(Rendon, Zimm, Eaton). They really need a full year out of Rendon and Eaton or they will not be competing for first.

 

You can make that case for all the other NL East teams though.

 

Can Acuna perform like he did last season? Albies' season was a great first half and average second half. Can Donaldson stay healthy and rebound? Can the Braves SP do what they did last season? Who is replacing Markakis' surprising production?

 

Can Thor stay healthy? Is Wheeler going to continue to dominate? Can the Mets count on Conforto, Frazier, Cespedes to stay healthy? Are Rosario and McNeil breaking out or was it just a late season hot stretch? Is Peter Alonso ready for the Majors? Diaz is elite but what about the rest of the bullpen?

 

Who is the SP2 in Philly? Are their young hitters finally going to take that next step? Who is the closer? Getting Harper will help but what about their other 2 OF positions? Is Franco the solution at 3B? 

 

The NL East is going to be wild this season.

 

 

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...