NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

5 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

A 3/30 extension is unbelievably good, and I don't even like gray. Then a club option. 4 years locked up for a real cheap price. If he can maintain a 4 era and eat innings he's well worth it. 

I'm personally skeptical if he can maintain a 5 ERA

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

The Jerry Dipoto show continues. Does anyone know what percentage of trades he has been involved in this off-season versus the field?

Shed Long to Seattle for Josh Stowers (to NYY).

It almost seems like Jerry heard the reports of a trade being completed by the Yanks and Reds without him and had to pick up the phone to get involved. Yesterday I had no intention of doing any DFS lineups but as I was driving home flipped on Sirius XM fantasy channel and a half hour later found myself sitting at my computer wasting more money on Fanduel. 

The latest mega free agent signing (cough):

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Rangers have signed infielder Asdrubal Cabrera to a one-year deal, pending a physical.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the deal is worth $3.5 million. Rosenthal writes that Cabrera will play third base, replacing Adrian Beltre, with his new team. The 33-year-old couldn't find much of a market for himself this winter despite putting up 23 homers with a .774 OPS (112 OPS+) between the Mets and Phillies last season. At least he'll be in a good situation to continue delivering fantasy value in the short-term. The Rangers aren't expected to be contenders in 2019, so there's a good chance he ends up being a trade candidate around midseason.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                                  Jan 22 - 11:52 AM

Markakis back to Atlanta for $4 mil in 2019 and a $2 mil 2020 club option. Not exactly a lot of money after his 2018 breakout (not that I disagree with it). What a frugal day.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, jbj said:

Markakis back to Atlanta for $4 mil in 2019 and a $2 mil 2020 club option. Not exactly a lot of money after his 2018 breakout (not that I disagree with it). What a frugal day.

More details:

Braves re-signed OF Nick Markakis to a one-year, $6 million contract.

Markakis will receive a $4 million salary in 2019 and there is a $2 million buyout on a $6 million club option for 2020. The Braves considered alternative plans for their outfield this offseason, but it was always possible they'd loop back around on Markakis. The 35-year-old is coming off his best season since 2012, but the market hasn't been kind to most veteran players. It's a nice value for the Braves, and it also allows them to continue to invest in other areas of their roster.

Jan 22 - 3:37 PM

9 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Jeez if that's all Asdrubal can get, the agents for Marwin, Moose and many others must be a little scared.

I read a rumor that the White Sox have the best offer so far for Moose: a two-year family pass to the Brookfield Zoo (includes unlimited rides on the merry-go-round). 

He should pounce now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Anyone hear a report twins might be a mystery team?

They're making some serious moves this off season, should make for a fun year. I wonder what they would have to offer those 2 to compete with the big market teams Harper supposedly wants.

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

San Diego is a pretty great place to live. Id strongly consider it if I were a free agent. The team seems to be moving in the right direction too.

With where some of these contracts seem to be, I cant understand why the Pads are not making a serious run probably some "pump the brakes" from the last time they went for it, but I still think this is a piece by piece deal.  Will be interesting to see where CA teams have to be on contracts, the tax rate in the state is 13.3% So lets say you make $30 Million, you are paying 3.9 Million just to the state, which used to not be so bad because it was deductible on your fed, but now with the new plan only 10K can be deducted from that so it hurts even more.  

12 minutes ago, parrothead said:

With where some of these contracts seem to be, I cant understand why the Pads are not making a serious run probably some "pump the brakes" from the last time they went for it, but I still think this is a piece by piece deal.  Will be interesting to see where CA teams have to be on contracts, the tax rate in the state is 13.3% So lets say you make $30 Million, you are paying 3.9 Million just to the state, which used to not be so bad because it was deductible on your fed, but now with the new plan only 10K can be deducted from that so it hurts even more.  

Well apparently they have been kicking the tires at least:

Fancred’s Jon Heyman says the Padres have checked in on Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Mike Moustakas and Marwin Gonzalez.

There’s been nothing so far to suggest that the Padres would open their wallets wide enough for Harper or Machado, but Moustakas or Gonzalez might fall into their price range, given that those two have seemingly generated relatively little interest thus far. The Padres are looking for someone to play third base with Wil Myers destined to return to the outfield.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                               Jan 23 - 2:11 PM

Wasn't it Boras that said there was a "mystery team?"  Given Boras' exaggerations I think that the Padres would then qualify as same.

In other news, Drew Pomeranz to the Giants for a 1 year, 1.5 mil contract with incentives to take it up to 5 mil max.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

This is truly one of the worst off-seasons I can ever remember. They've done the impossible: make me feel sorry for millionaires.

last year was as bad or worse.  Eventually the two guys will sign. Last year we waited like 5 months for JD Martinez to sign.

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

last year was as bad or worse.  Eventually the two guys will sign. Last year we waited like 5 months for JD Martinez to sign.

Good call it was at the end of February last year