NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

DidiFan

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They can't re-sign Sale or Xander if they remotely go after Kimbrel.  I'd rather have Sale any day over a declining Kimbrel.

sale is gonna be 31, how long/much are you willing to give him??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

^^^^ Exactly. I was pretty surprised they threw that contract at Eovaldi. I think they wanted to secure some of their pitching LT if both Sale and Porcello don't have any interest in re-signing.

Then there is Xander and Mookie to consider soon. Who is going to take a mega deal to keep.

They signed Eovaldi because Drew Pomeranz' contract was up and they needed a 5th starter.  So why not a good one who proved himself to them big time already that they could sign for a decent salary and avoiding a bidding war for a FA pitcher.

Dombrowski admitted there is only so much money to give those three and they probably can't retain all three of them.  The fan thinking is that it would take probably NOT re-landing one of the big two to still retain Xander as well.  But, alas, Boris represents Mookie so retaining him will be rough if not impossible.

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

sale is gonna be 31, how long/much are you willing to give him??

Sadly my bank account says a few dollars at most.  :-)   But pitchers can last a long time in their 30's and re-invent themselves endlessly so I'm sure Sale, barring a major injury this season,  will get a long deal offer whether in free agency from someone or an extension from Boston.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They signed Eovaldi because Drew Pomeranz' contract was up and they needed a 5th starter.  So why not a good one who proved himself to them big time already that they could sign for a decent salary and avoiding a bidding war for a FA pitcher.

Dombrowski admitted there is only so much money to give those three and they probably can't retain all three of them.  The fan thinking is that it would take probably NOT re-landing one of the big two to still retain Xander as well.  But, alas, Boris represents Mookie so retaining him will be rough if not impossible.

Sadly my bank account says a few dollars at most.  :-)   But pitchers can last a long time in their 30's and re-invent themselves endlessly so I'm sure Sale, barring a major injury this season,  will get a long deal offer whether in free agency from someone or an extension from Boston.

would you give him 7 years 30 mil per?

29 minutes ago, motown magic said:

No way . Thats asking for trouble. 4 or maybe 5 max with a team option .

assuming chris sale has a chris sale year this year.  no major injury, great numbers.

you are giving chris sale less than patrick corbin?

Image result for confused gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They can't re-sign Sale or Xander if they remotely go after Kimbrel.  I'd rather have Sale any day over a declining Kimbrel.

I see it as—  the time to win another World Series for the Sox is now the should resign Kimbrel. When the core Xander, Mookie, JBJ & Sale add in Benny & Devers then the Sox make these decisions today go win another World Series. Putting faith in Brazier & Barnes just doesn’t seem the greatest move for a team like the Red Sox who are one of the top dogs in the American League. 

Boston Globe the beat writer ... some agree some don’t to this guys opinion. Ain’t life great 👍 

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/1097965487856803840

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I see it as—  the time to win another World Series for the Sox is now the should resign Kimbrel. When the core Xander, Mookie, JBJ & Sale add in Benny & Devers then the Sox make these decisions today go win another World Series. Putting faith in Brazier & Barnes just doesn’t seem the greatest move for a team like the Red Sox who are one of the top dogs in the American League. 

Boston Globe the beat writer ... some agree some don’t to this guys opinion. Ain’t life great 👍 

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/1097965487856803840

I'm not a Carfardo fan.  Never have been.  Kimbrel didn't win them the WS.  In fact Cora didn't trust him at the end to use him during a lot of the playoffs.  He went with the red hot Kelly (timing is everything) and Brasier mainly in the tough situations.  He put an injured Sale in for the finale three outs in the 9th to be on the mound when the Sox won it all.

If Kimbrel was still so good there would at least be rumors of teams interested in him.  But nada.  Atlanta let it be known they weren't interested.  Philly isn't waving any of it's "mad money" in his direction.  Pitchers and catcher have reported and not a peep of interest in Kimbrel so far.  And Dombrowski pretty much said the Sox had moved on from Kimbrel.

There are two reasons.  His insane demands for a contract.  And anyone that watched him game in and game out all year long saw he wasn't elite any more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Just because one GM over paid doesn't mean another one should. There's a saying .

Just because the path is well beaten. It doen't mean its the right way to go .

u are nuts if u think sale wont find someone for more than 4 years

4 hours ago, motown magic said:

Just because one GM over paid doesn't mean another one should. There's a saying .

Just because the path is well beaten. It doen't mean its the right way to go .

Sure but you're ignoring history if you go with this argument and just stubbornly stick your foot down on it. Price got 30 AAV over 7 at 30 YO. Scherzer got 30 over 7 at 30. Grienke got more AAV over 6 at 32 YO. There's a going rate for elite pitchers. Sale has been as good if not better at times than that list. If you're saying an AAV record shattering 4 / 165, maybe I see it, but there's a going rate for an elite player/pitcher, and to pretend that he's going at a price you're suggesting if he had 31 Starts at his 2017-2018 level this year is folly. I'm not saying you're right or wrong about what SHOULD happen, as that is an entirely different beast of an argument, but pretending that Sale is going to get a deal like Corbin or like you suggest is silliness, plain and simple. He'll get 200 Million if he repeats this year into next.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

This comes with the caveat that it could just be Boras working his magic as well.

I'm also not exactly gonna go crazy over beat reporter from SNY saying how "tough" it's gonna be for the Phillies. Just saying slant is involved, and he's the only one reporting it.

Edited by High&Inside

58 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I'm still holding out hope for Phillies. I don't see Giants going 300 plus to do this. 

Why don’t you see the Giants giving him the money? Bryce will put people in the stands. Gate attraction. Feed the Harper.  I didn’t think the Padres was going to get Manny. Did you? 

I want him to sign with the Giants. 

1 hour ago, Steelerssixcess said:

It will end up being the Giants, yuck.

Hardly.  It is Boras spreading his usual rumors to try and up mad money from the Phils and others.  It would be hilarious if Philly called his bluff and Boras got stuck with the Giants offer only and had to hurry and crawl back to the City of Brotherly Love asap.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1