NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Harper must really want to play for SD, he flew there this morning from Vegas

Padres seeing how they could make it work, even with Harper at 30 mil ish they sit around 120 in payroll this year, not that outlandish

Well he did get married there so he and his wife have some affinity for the city.

15 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Do you have a better source for this claim than Heyman's "Padres are meeting to discuss adding a 2nd mega star" tweet?

I have a guy.  But Preller said this morning while talking to Tony Gwynn Jr, that when you have an elite talent on the market still at that age, you explore every possibility.  Padres owner Fowler, when asked gave a no comment wink this morning as well

also the fact that Harper hasn't already signed with Philly already says something

Edited by Golden Spikes

That's a pretty big leap to "he flew there this morning", but whatever.  At the very least, Harper's team knows they can use SD to bid up the price.  I'm sure he'd prefer to stay on the West Coast -- it's the Phillies front office's job to make the offer he can't refuse.

350/10, get it done Middleton.

at this point there’s so many contradicting tweets/updates, I don’t think anyone knows what’s actually going on. There’s another that just popped up 5 minutes ago regarding some dudes dad who’s close to the Padres said Manny signing was the deciding factor etc. that’s being passed around as news right now.

asking because I don’t know much about the financials- would this screw the Pads over for the next couple years? They’d have a ton of money tied up in Myers, Hosmer, Manny and Bryce for a good bit, right? Or is this something they can afford to do with little issue?

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

at this point there’s so many contradicting tweets/updates, I don’t think anyone knows what’s actually going on. There’s another that just popped up 5 minutes ago regarding some dudes dad who’s close to the Padres said Manny signing was the deciding factor etc. that’s being passed around as news right now.

asking because I don’t know much about the financials- would this screw the Pads over for the next couple years? They’d have a ton of money tied up in Myers, Hosmer, Manny and Bryce for a good bit, right? Or is this something they can afford to do with little issue?

If Padres were to do this I'd assume at some point they'd have to sell some of their prospects along with Hosmer / Myers to ease the burden. Kind of similar to what Mets did with giving up prospects plus Bruce and Swarzak to get Mariners to pay a portion of Cano's contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lets look at it this year and next

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/payroll/

Machado for example and its not even really known yet is only 14 mil this year

total deferrals this year is 24 mil

total salary for roster currently is 89 mil

now remove that 24 mil next year (Myers jumps to 20 mil and you have this)

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/payroll/

base is sitting at 109 mil, but that is on Machado making 30 mil next year which again I am not sure

so another 30 mil to Harper puts 2019 at 119, and 2020 at 139 (but its also the Brown year which should boost sales and attendance) as well as the increased revenue from having 2 studs in town, should be very easy to cover

they could also attempt to move Myers at that point as well, attaching a coveted prospect to him

22 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think I'm out if it goes any higher than that in dollars or years.  If the Padres or any other team want to go higher, then the club should go with what they've got and see what pieces they can add at the deadline.  He was (and is) the best fit for the Phillies in this free agent class, but he's not the kind of generational talent I want to have $40M/year dedicated to for the next decade.

The front office got blasted for saying they have to have a walking away point, but it's true.  He has an on the field value that I was willing to overpay for, but this is getting ridiculous.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And yet the Rays are the favorite for the last wildcard in the AL this season.

Rays won't spend until they have an audience too.  Once they get wise and move to Montreal they will have an actual fan base for the first time ever.

Chicken and egg a bit, no? 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Off topic just a bit. 

Do you think a strike is on the horizon? 

Yeah, I mentioned that on the last page. 

I, personally, could be very far off. But I don't see this 6-Year system as is making it through 2021. It's set up completely to protect teams from their WORST possible scenario: a 19 YO superstar getting to market too soon. But it is terrible for anyone who starts their career at older than 23. Teams are manipulating Control moreso than ever before, and the players only defense to try to get to the open market is to use the Union/CBA. If the Owners don't let them to change it, then I think they'd strike. 

19 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I think I'm out if it goes any higher than that in dollars or years.  If the Padres or any other team want to go higher, then the club should go with what they've got and see what pieces they can add at the deadline.  He was (and is) the best fit for the Phillies in this free agent class, but he's not the kind of generational talent I want to have $40M/year dedicated to for the next decade.

The front office got blasted for saying they have to have a walking away point, but it's true.  He has an on the field value that I was willing to overpay for, but this is getting ridiculous.

I gotta agree here.  Harper makes a TON of sense for the Phillies and I think a record breaking contract is warranted, but there's a limit.  I know it's dangerous to try to look too far into the future in a volatile MLB but there are some a fair number of stud arms and bats likely to hit free agency over the next 2 years. I'll be disappointed if they miss out but all hope isn't lost on the Phillies' window to compete if they don't get him.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

I'd also argue again once more in terms of the Philly situation that they'd be in a much more "Necessary" situation if we were talking about an available DeGrom or theoretical Sale that doesn't sign an extension. If something costs this team, it won't be the line-up as is. 

• Like 1
On 2/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm not a Carfardo fan.  Never have been.  Kimbrel didn't win them the WS.  In fact Cora didn't trust him at the end to use him during a lot of the playoffs.  He went with the red hot Kelly (timing is everything) and Brasier mainly in the tough situations.  He put an injured Sale in for the finale three outs in the 9th to be on the mound when the Sox won it all.

If Kimbrel was still so good there would at least be rumors of teams interested in him.  But nada.  Atlanta let it be known they weren't interested.  Philly isn't waving any of it's "mad money" in his direction.  Pitchers and catcher have reported and not a peep of interest in Kimbrel so far.  And Dombrowski pretty much said the Sox had moved on from Kimbrel.

There are two reasons.  His insane demands for a contract.  And anyone that watched him game in and game out all year long saw he wasn't elite any more.

FYI — Nick Carfardo died yesterday at noon he collapsed in Fort Myers the Red Sox spring training site.  RIP Nick 

Edited by shakestreet

Didn't see if it mentioned, but the chi Sox got Ervin Santana for a minor league contract. 

Seems like good value, especially for a staff that needs some innings/stability. 

Sox still have $240,800,00 or so to spend. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, taobball said:

I'd also argue again once more in terms of the Philly situation that they'd be in a much more "Necessary" situation if we were talking about an available DeGrom or theoretical Sale that doesn't sign an extension. If something costs this team, it won't be the line-up as is. 

Next years batch of free agent pitchers in articular should be impressive. Aces like Verlander, Cole, Sale, Bumgarner and even the "tier 2" guys like Pineda, Hamels, McHugh, Wood and Ryu.  It's good timing for a team like the Phillies who are competitive, in need of a starter or 2 and willing to spend.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, taobball said:

Yeah, I mentioned that on the last page. 

I, personally, could be very far off. But I don't see this 6-Year system as is making it through 2021. It's set up completely to protect teams from their WORST possible scenario: a 19 YO superstar getting to market too soon. But it is terrible for anyone who starts their career at older than 23. Teams are manipulating Control moreso than ever before, and the players only defense to try to get to the open market is to use the Union/CBA. If the Owners don't let them to change it, then I think they'd strike. 

Started a thread for this discussion at: MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement Discussion

But I agree. Its an old system and its broken. There should be some give and take here for both sides. Manipulating service time helps no one - decreases the product on the field and stymies the young player. There's many other issues in addition to service time, though (DH, scheduling, pace of play, etc.). There's enough smoke here to be worried about a stoppage IMO.

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Chicken and egg a bit, no? 

This is about the Rays not having a fan base per se and you saying because of lack of spending by the front office maybe?  No, that isn't it. 

My family moved to Florida when I was a kid and I grew up there.  Coastal Florida is full of northern transplants from the east and midwest.  They and their descendants outnumber the "Florida crackers" with long native roots by tons.  (I remember one time the teacher asked our class who was a Florida native in our class and only one red-faced boy raised his hand while quickly explaining that his family was from New York and he considered himself a true New Yorker).  These transplants keep their old teams once transplanted.  They are more interested in spring training games featuring those teams than the Rays.  When the Yankees or Red Sox come in during the season 9 out of 10 of the fans in the Trop are rooting for the "visitors" and always will.  And those are the only games where they get decent crowds.

TB has had really good teams in the past and in the series etc.  It does not matter.  They cannot pick up support from a fan base that roots for so many other teams first and foremost.  The Rays need to relocate and find a fan base for the first time ever in soil not already claimed by a dozen other teams.  Otherwise it will remain, like one Rays player once said, like playing in 162 away games each season.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

FYI — Nick Carfardo died yesterday at noon he collapsed in Fort Myers the Red Sox spring training site.  RIP Nick 

Wow.  Sorry to hear that.  Guess I got in my criticism of him just before he died so at least I did not speak ill of the dead.  He did love baseball and died doing what he loved.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Tampa’s stadium location is a gigantic problem.  They have the Tampa and Orlando TV markets.  

Well St Petersburg is the nice side of the bay.  Tampa is still "Cigar City" in my mind.  And yes I lived on both sides of the bay back in the day and Tampa was miserable.  But the stadium itself is a turn off.  Catwalk rings and dark and the worst facility in all of baseball.