NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

Harper must really hate the idea of playing in Philly.  If he gives in and signs there and struggles the fans will eat him alive.  LAD should offer 3 yrs $100M, Harper becomes a FA after the strike and new CBA, and while in LA he needs to pal around with Lebron and get some MSM exposure to raise his non-baseball value via marketability. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Harper must really hate the idea of playing in Philly.  If he gives in and signs there and struggles the fans will eat him alive.  LAD should offer 3 yrs $100M, Harper becomes a FA after the strike and new CBA, and while in LA he needs to pal around with Lebron and get some MSM exposure to raise his non-baseball value via marketability. 

For Harper though will there be anything at all beneficial about signing after a CBA? If anything couldn't it signal to organizations that younger talent may be available sooner, so to not pay Harper? Harper is not hurt by this CBA-- he's the entire reason the 6 year system exists... so he can't get to market any YOUNGER then this... because I do believe at 24 Harper would've scored 400. At 29, he's going to have another shot at another huge contract, if he's still performing. But does that CBA help him get more money? I don't think it does. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

The CBA is probably the reason he wants a big deal. If anything, he probably wants an opt out similar to Machado. The CBA could help or hurt players, its an uncertainty.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, taobball said:

For Harper though will there be anything at all beneficial about signing after a CBA? If anything couldn't it signal to organizations that younger talent may be available sooner, so to not pay Harper? Harper is not hurt by this CBA-- he's the entire reason the 6 year system exists... so he can't get to market any YOUNGER then this... because I do believe at 24 Harper would've scored 400. At 29, he's going to have another shot at another huge contract, if he's still performing. But does that CBA help him get more money? I don't think it does. 

You're probably right.  But if younger players are getting more money it also means there isn't as much value to go young.  Right now there is so much more value to get very good players on cheap rookie and arbitration year deals rather than pony up for a superstar.  If those players are getting to market a couple of years earlier than paying them with less of a track record vs paying a guy like Harper levels the playing field a bit in GM rationale. 

Just now, Baseball Jonze said:

You're probably right.  But if younger players are getting more money it also means there isn't as much value to go young.  Right now there is so much more value to get very good players on cheap rookie and arbitration year deals rather than pony up for a superstar.  If those players are getting to market a couple of years earlier than paying them with less of a track record vs paying a guy like Harper levels the playing field a bit in GM rationale. 

More than likely IMO the result will be while the middle class rises a bit, with the upper echelon lowering a tad. Harper's the guy who becomes less special and less valuable in the market, as I perceive it changing. This is the time to lock up the money. 

I honestly thought Harper would have given Machado his day's worth of the spotlight and then signed a deal the next day. He must REALLY not want any part of Philadelphia. My guess is Philly has easily the best offer but Harper is waiting as long as absolutely possible in hopes that he gets bowled over by another team out at the last minute. If I were Philly I would start thinking about issuing an ultimatum to sign by X day or offer is gone. With every passing day that he misses camp Harper won't exactly endear himself to his new teammates. That's not an insurmountable obstacle but at least a real one.

Edited by whitekenyan24
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

What about 2 for 90? That could fly.

giphy.gif

Yeah I guess it could.  Still I can't imagine they'd leave a record breaking contract on the table, especially with a new CBA looming.  Gotta think this is most likely some combo of due diligence, Boras using the Dodgers as leverage, and the Dodgers letting him as a dig against what looks like a strong young challenger to their NL dominance.  Guess we'll see.  

Edited by Baur10
  • Haha 1

Bryce Harper has the commodity that the Phillies (and apparently other clubs) are willing to may a massive amount of money for.  Only one of those clubs will get his services, and issuing an ultimatum because of some team chemistry nonsense is the surest way to ensure that your team isn't the winner.  If he needs to be coddled, to take his time, whatever, you let him, and if he takes your offer, then his teammates will be way happy to have a better chance of winning, and won't be thinking at all about how it took a few extra days to get the deal done.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Bryce Harper has the commodity that the Phillies (and apparently other clubs) are willing to may a massive amount of money for.  Only one of those clubs will get his services, and issuing an ultimatum because of some team chemistry nonsense is the surest way to ensure that your team isn't the winner.  If he needs to be coddled, to take his time, whatever, you let him, and if he takes your offer, then his teammates will be way happy to have a better chance of winning, and won't be thinking at all about how it took a few extra days to get the deal done.

This.

Also, at the end of the day, I don't think the first week or two of spring training is that big of a deal. Remember, the players are rooting for him to get paid. Bryce getting his due is good for future players, and they all know that. The day Bryce signs will be a party in whichever team's ST, and the day he shows up he'll be welcomed with open arms.

3 hours ago, dkrocka said:

Sure, 2.5mil a month isn't enough for a guy who has had a wide range of outcomes year to year.

Surely you're not suggesting players in pro sports should be paid based 100% on their stats, right? 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Surely you're not suggesting players in pro sports should be paid based 100% on their stats, right? 

giphy.gif

Go one step further and tie ticket and concession prices to the team's win-loss record. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Noone likes to feel like they’re being jerked around, Phillies would be reasonable to tell Bryce they’re moving on if it feels like he doesn’t want to play there and is just shopping their offers for as long as possible.  They made some moves and should be a fun competitive team to watch this year, nothing wrong with saving the cash to take a run at Arenado next year or Trout the year after.

19 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Noone likes to feel like they’re being jerked around, Phillies would be reasonable to tell Bryce they’re moving on if it feels like he doesn’t want to play there and is just shopping their offers for as long as possible.  They made some moves and should be a fun competitive team to watch this year, nothing wrong with saving the cash to take a run at Arenado next year or Trout the year after.

I think they still make a serious run at Trout whether or not they sign Harper.  I am not a Phillies fan nor a Philly resident (so I cannot speak on it personally), but I feel like there would be a little air of disappointment should the Phillies miss on both Machado and Harper.  Obviously they have still made some great moves, and should be right there in the playoff race, but with all of the money they have and the constant links of one or both superstars to their team - would have to sting a little bit.  At the end of the day everyone knows it is a business, and everyone knows Scott Boras.  If they truly want Harper then they'll have no problem letting it play out.  Having said that, I am actually with you on being a little firmer in just moving on - but I think that is mainly me just being sick of the constant news that isn't actually news regarding updates on the situation.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Heyman's latest suggests there's still a chance for my Padres!

I think Scott Boras hacked Heyman's Twitter account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heyman is on another roll this morning claiming all the California teams are back in and Harper has multiple $300 million offers on the table.  The guy is the worst.

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I am not a Phillies fan nor a Philly resident (so I cannot speak on it personally), but I feel like there would be a little air of disappointment should the Phillies miss on both Machado and Harper. 

I live there and there absolutely would be disappointment but on the flip side the fans here also don't want someone here that makes it clear they don't want to be and that narrative is being played on repeat right now.  I think that's probably overblown to some extent but it's starting to creep into the local conversation more and more, and Philadelphia is real sensitive to perceived slights against their city. If he signs I'm sure most fans probably won't care too much but at least a decent chunk are going to start off with a bad taste in their mouth.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

If the opt out rumors are true, and are the hold up to the deal then I'm not sure I want the Phillies to pursue. A 3 year opt out is terrible for the team. 

it aint that bad, im sure philly would love to get bryce on a three year deal.

Yeah, it gives the player more power but in the end, the opt-outs actually dont turn out to bad for the teams

14 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

it aint that bad, im sure philly would love to get bryce on a three year deal.

Yeah, it gives the player more power but in the end, the opt-outs actually dont turn out to bad for the teams

If he opts out then it would mean he had a monster 3 years.

58 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

If the opt out rumors are true, and are the hold up to the deal then I'm not sure I want the Phillies to pursue. A 3 year opt out is terrible for the team. 

Eh, why though? Like I get it isn't ideal that he shows up and plays for Philly for three years and then leaves, but as long as they don't make it heller-front loaded, you'll be getting Harper's 26, 27 and 28 YO seasons and then have the option to let him walk... maybe even with a new CBA putting younger players in the market. It doesn't sound terrible 

What a bizarre situation it must be for Philly to be in right now. There’s a very real chance that they have the highest bid on the market and that Boras is simply trying to keep them bidding against themselves to drive up their offer. They really don’t want to lose out on Harper but they also have to be wary about being fooled by Boras with all of these leaks from Boras’ puppets. In any case, get it done Philly.

Sincerely,

a Harper fantasy owner

• Like 1