NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. If he leaves, he's a snake, traitor, ring-chaser, etc. If he stays, he's 'soft'.    

Close,  they're 2x dumber

Apologies if anyone already posted this but...    

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

NO OPT OUT??? 

you waited all this time for that??

i agree. its 25 mil a year and no opt out.  better for phillies than i thought

good for both of them though

and i agree, i think this gives them the ability to go after trout in 2020

Edited by jfazz23
6 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

So Harper went for the most money possible, nothing else really factors much.. who would've thought... 

My guess is that he really wanted to be a Dodger but they didn't come close to the Philly offer. So once again the player will always go where the most money is.

The salt with some of these fan bases is so real, it has Dodgers fans complaining about teams increasing their payroll 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, taobball said:

The salt with some of these fan bases is so real, it has Dodgers fans complaining about teams increasing their payroll 😂

Espn.com article...every talking head show is in consensus the Phillies got a great deal due to the low AAV... Dodgers and Giants fans crying trying to poke holes.

5 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Espn.com article...every talking head show is in consensus the Phillies got a great deal due to the low AAV... Dodgers and Giants fans crying trying to poke holes.

In the short term I think the Phillies got a great deal. 

At some point I don't think he's going to want to be there at 25 Mil a year when everyone else is getting the more than him, especially if he actually turns into the superstar everyone thought he would be. Could be a problem down the road. Then again winning cures all. We'll see. 

For now the Phils should be the favorite in NL East and maybe even the entire NL. Before anyone brings up their pitching, I think they've got some live arms on the staff and could surprise some people this season. 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

As a Dodgers fan myself. I think this is great for the Phillies. Will the contract suck at the end ? Probably a little. I think someone has to be pretty dumb to not understand everyone knows that. In 10 years 25 million will be worth less than it is today too.

Dodgers were willing to give him 45 million per year for like 4 years, because they thought that’s how much he was worth at least that much. So the Phillies are getting a bargain of a deal for the first 4-6 years imo, and I think it’s not as bad at the end too.

gotta spend some money. The point is to win games and a championship , not to have the best contracts for billionaire owners.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

In the short term I think the Phillies got a great deal. 

At some point I don't think he's going to want to be there at 25 Mil a year when everyone else is getting the more than him, especially if he actually turns into the superstar everyone thought he would be. Could be a problem down the road. Then again winning cures all. We'll see. 

For now the Phils should be the favorite in NL East and maybe even the entire NL. Before anyone brings up their pitching, I think they've got some live arms on the staff and could surprise some people this season. 

The Phils pen is loaded with arms they have more viable guys than spots right now... I wouldn't be shocked to see them use an opener to manufacture good pitching like the Rays at some point this year.

39 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Bryce Harper’s final offers from 3
Finalists:#Dodgers: 3 years, $135 million or 4 years, $168 million.#SFGiants: 12 years, $310 million.#Phillies: 13 years, $330 million. No opt out. Full no trade.
No deferred money

double-take.gif

Dodgers vs Philly offer is interesting.  I guess Harper felt he wouldn't get at least a 162M contract offer when he was 30yo from anybody.  Too much of a gamble to leave that kind of guaranteed money on the table though, and MLBPA would have been LIVID. 

I also read somewhere that California State Income Tax really impacted his thought process - SF and Philly offers look close enough to choose without financial considerations at first glance otherwise.