NBC Sports Edge Forums

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seem to have stumbled into the Baseball Parks thread.  I'll see my way out and look for the Franmil thread.

Will he end the year with more homers than RBI's?

What's with all the hype around this guy? He his ranked over 500 on Yahoo 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I've posted 2 park factor links that show it is still a pitchers park... do any of you guys care to post actual sources of park factors that say it's good for RH power or a neutral park? 

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I've posted 2 park factor links that show it is still a pitchers park... do any of you guys care to post actual sources of park factors that say it's good for RH power or a neutral park? 

Statcorner gives it a 97 Run factor for RHH. That is technically below average..but you are splitting hairs if you are arguing against it being neutral for righties.

Not arguing its a plus or above average, but neither is guy you are quoting.

Edited by Slatykamora

Park schmark, Franmil can hit a ball out of any stadium. Now whether he keeps the K's down and can work his way into regular PT this year sans trade, that's another story. If he can get some regular loft going, that would be nice too.

Edited by elsegundo
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Statcorner gives it a 97 Run factor for RHH. That is technically below average..but you are splitting hairs if you are arguing against it being neutral for righties.

Not arguing its a plus or above average, but neither is guy you are quoting.

Huh? It's exactly what he said...

On 2/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, Golden Spikes said:

Petco is a good hitters park for RH bats

• Like 2
On 2/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, StevieStats said:

I say ESPN's "park factors" are crap because they aren't actual park factors, they are just stadium splits. They are not an actual park factor. 

The best in the business,  IMO, is ParkFactors.com ... They don't have L/R splits listed (the reason I used FG) but they do rank SD as extreme pitcher http://www.parkfactors.com/SD

Your data is outdated.  Players who actual use the field say it is more neutral given the decreased wind exposure.

For right-handed hitters, its pretty much neutral from more recently tracked data.  Though for left-handed hitters, def. a pitcher park.

https://rotogrinders.com/pages/ballpark-factors-49556

Edited by Hellgrammite
1 hour ago, Hellgrammite said:

Your data is outdated.  Players who actual use the field say it is more neutral given the decreased wind exposure.

For right-handed hitters, its pretty much neutral from more recently tracked data.  Though for left-handed hitters, def. a pitcher park.

https://rotogrinders.com/pages/ballpark-factors-49556

Lol did you even read your own source? Your own source you posted classifies it as "below average" for right handed hitters for Avg, Slg, HR, and wOBA.

And no, the data I provided was not old or stale, in fact, park factors are best calculated using data collected over a few years to cancel noise from an outlier in a given year.

Edited by StevieStats
  • 2 weeks later...

How much does he play?  SD has a real log jam in the OF, and their CI is set.  Machado & Hosmer signed long term, Myers a lock for a corner OF slot, and (with Jank hurt) Margot pretty much a lock for CF.  With the lack of the DH, that leaves a lot of players vying for 1 spot in the OF.  Renfroe, Framil, & Cordero...who plays?

4 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

How much does he play?  SD has a real log jam in the OF, and their CI is set.  Machado & Hosmer signed long term, Myers a lock for a corner OF slot, and (with Jank hurt) Margot pretty much a lock for CF.  With the lack of the DH, that leaves a lot of players vying for 1 spot in the OF.  Renfroe, Framil, & Cordero...who plays?

Nobody knows for sure. I’d bet San Diego doesn’t know yet either. They’re tinkering around with lots of possible options even considering Myers in cf against lefties. My guess is all 5 make the opening day roster and Franmil starts off as a part time player. He’s also coming off of knee surgery so it might make some sense to give him off days. I think as the season progresses they’ll have a hard time taking his bat out of the lineup and he’ll end up a full time player.

I love his potential, but I had to drop him back into the auction pool for the price I would have to pay to keep him as a FA. The outfield in S.D. is a major problem for weekly lineup people. I have a feeling that the hype will push his value over what I could have owned him at, but there are a lot of guys that can provide his weekly numbers (as it stands now) for a buck. If Myers gets a sunburn in ST and is out for the season, I will regret it. 

• Like 1

Machado, who homered before the game was called, seems happy with his protection in the lineup, saying, "With Franmil behind me, I'm going to get pitches too. In that situation today, you don't want to load the bases to face Franmil. I think our lineup is pretty deep."

With Manny wanting this guy in the lineup and the Pads experimenting with Myers in center, things are looking very good for Franmil this year.  If he is still going after pick 200 this is the bargain of the year IMO...Oh, and he hit another bomb last night...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If spring tells you anything about the padres it is that franimal is the cleanup hitter and will get more at bats than any other OF baring injury

he has hit cleanup in every game Machado has played. Hosmer has hit 2nd in all those games as well

thats the padres everyday 2-3-4

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, rando said:

RW now calling him the odds-on favorite to start in RF.

He might start several times a week but there'll be a platoon situation of some sort between renfroe, Franmil, Margot, Myers, Cordero.  5 OF rotating between 3 spots.  Franmil will get his though and will be fine in daily leagues if you can pay attention to sub him in and out in daily lineups. 

Edited by El_Chingon

With the log jam in the OF I wouldn't be surprised to see Hosmer get a few extra days off against lefties (.527 OPS against lefties last year). There is no way they can keep running that black hole out there when they can slide Myers to 1st and start 3 solid OF. 

• Like 1
On 3/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, Golden Spikes said:

If spring tells you anything about the padres it is that franimal is the cleanup hitter and will get more at bats than any other OF baring injury

he has hit cleanup in every game Machado has played. Hosmer has hit 2nd in all those games as well

thats the padres everyday 2-3-4

That shows that they see him as vital protection to Manny. It's not like Renfroe is all that anyway, Manny outproduced him last year.

He's gonna get the everyday gig hitting behind Manny and I'm pumped for it. Drafted him as a 5th OF and likely will be promoting him from my minors on my other team very soon.

• Like 1

If he's the Padres number 4 hitter, you have to pencil him for 25-30 bombs right? That's assuming he doesn't play like a complete bozo.

I really just want some assurances that he's going to be an everyday hitter, because there are some nice hitters sitting on the wire right now in my league that I have my eyes on.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, swfcdan said:

That shows that they see him as vital protection to Manny. It's not like Renfroe is all that anyway, Manny outproduced him last year.

He's gonna get the everyday gig hitting behind Manny and I'm pumped for it. Drafted him as a 5th OF and likely will be promoting him from my minors on my other team very soon.

Yeah, I drafted him as my 5th OF, too, and sniped him from my buddy. It was a two-fer, LOL. I would imagine for most of us who drafted him, it was to either make him our OF5 or a bench bat. 

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

If he's the Padres number 4 hitter, you have to pencil him for 25-30 bombs right? That's assuming he doesn't play like a complete bozo.

I really just want some assurances that he's going to be an everyday hitter, because there are some nice hitters sitting on the wire right now in my league that I have my eyes on.

I just don't think there are any assurances in that SD OF. With Myers, Franimal, Renfroe, Margot, Cordero, there are just so many ABs to go around, and we know Myers is going to play everyday as long as he's healthy.. I think Reyes will probably play 5 out of every 6 games, which would put him in the 135-140 game realm if he stays healthy. He'll have to go beast-mode to get more than that, imo, but I could also see him getting just 120 games in, depending on how Renfroe, Margot, and Cordero perform. 

22 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, I drafted him as my 5th OF, too, and sniped him from my buddy. It was a two-fer, LOL. I would imagine for most of us who drafted him, it was to either make him our OF5 or a bench bat. 

I just don't think there are any assurances in that SD OF. With Myers, Franimal, Renfroe, Margot, Cordero, there are just so many ABs to go around, and we know Myers is going to play everyday as long as he's healthy.. I think Reyes will probably play 5 out of every 6 games, which would put him in the 135-140 game realm if he stays healthy. He'll have to go beast-mode to get more than that, imo, but I could also see him getting just 120 games in, depending on how Renfroe, Margot, and Cordero perform. 

5/6 games is more than fine with me. I just don't want this 3 times a week bull s---.

54 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I think more like 4 out of every 6 until someone is traded away.  Too bad the old fogies are waiting until 2022 for the DH in the NL.  Players like Franmil were made for that position.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think more like 4 out of every 6 until someone is traded away.  Too bad the old fogies are waiting until 2022 for the DH in the NL.  Players like Franmil were made for that position.

Nah. That puts him in the 105-110 game range, and I firmly believe he plays more than that. 

I haven't really looked, but does anyone know if the Myers-in-CF experiment is still going on?