NBC Sports Edge Forums

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

I'm intrigued by him, but also look at someone like Teoscar Hernandez, who seems like a similar version of him with more guaranteed playing time and some actual speed. In a vacuum, I'd consider Reyes better, He's several years younger and on a better team. But for 2019, I can easily see Hernandez being better with consistent playing time, a better home park to play in, and some speed to supplement the stat line. And Hernandez is pretty freely available in shallower leagues. So what does that say about Reyes?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seem to have stumbled into the Baseball Parks thread.  I'll see my way out and look for the Franmil thread.

Will he end the year with more homers than RBI's?

What's with all the hype around this guy? He his ranked over 500 on Yahoo 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, exaulz said:

Feels kind of hopeless. If he’s scorching the ball and can’t get hits, what’s it going to look like when he goes through the inevitable slump.

It's not that he can't get hits, it's that he is getting unlucky. So sure, you could be pessimistic and say that this streak of hard contact won't last or you could realize that if he continues to hit the ball hard eventually those shots will find gaps/clear the fence. And he is only 23 so there is a good chance he will get better and not worse over the course of a season. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

He may be one of those 1st rounds picks in exit velocity leagues but has been hurting us in typical leagues. 

Then bench him until he starts getting hits? Welcome to fantasy baseball, guys go through week long slumps all the time.

16 hours ago, exaulz said:

Feels kind of hopeless. If he’s scorching the ball and can’t get hits, what’s it going to look like when he goes through the inevitable slump.

Uhhh, exactly the same as it does now? He is 1 for 16, he could get lucky and put up a better line during a mini slump. 

Can't believe there is this much grief over a 19PA span lmao.

Edited by KrunK
2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

It's not that he can't get hits, it's that he is getting unlucky. So sure, you could be pessimistic and say that this streak of hard contact won't last or you could realize that if he continues to hit the ball hard eventually those shots will find gaps/clear the fence. And he is only 23 so there is a good chance he will get better and not worse over the course of a season. 

I get all that, and I’m not dropping him or anything, but I do feel like he’s the type of player that will be prone to slumps, and needs to capitalize on the hard contact while he can. Otherwise we could be looking at an ugly early season line

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I regret not drafting this guy. My league drafted very early. I was worried he wouldn't get enough playing time and his D made him vulnerable to benching if he slumped.

I have some shares but I’m trying to get more. I think the last couple pages of this thread put forth some great info on how he’s been unlucky and also show that some owners are panicking and likely ready to sell low. He’s a great buy low candidate to me.

3 hours ago, exaulz said:

I get all that, and I’m not dropping him or anything, but I do feel like he’s the type of player that will be prone to slumps, and needs to capitalize on the hard contact while he can. Otherwise we could be looking at an ugly early season line

Not like he can choose how his BABIP plays out, all he can do is continue smoking the ball and the hits will drop or fly out of the park sooner or later.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Are his hard hit balls all grounders aka worm killers?

According to FG: GB/LD/FB = 33.3/13.3/53.3, with a 60% Hard Contact rate.  I'd so no, not too many ground balls.  Dare I say, he's hitting the ball too high???

3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Padres seeing what we are saying dude is killing the ball and unlucky

hitting 4th today still with Renfroe doing damage lately being out of the lineup

You do know what the Padres should do.... 

Start  Myers, Renfroe & Frenchy the 4th outfielder is Margot 

send Franmil to the minors 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You do know what the Padres should do.... 

Start  Myers, Renfroe & Frenchy the 4th outfielder is Margot 

send Franmil to the minors 

Frenchy would be a great guy to own with a full-time gig.  Power and Speed

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kelle1sa said:

According to FG: GB/LD/FB = 33.3/13.3/53.3, with a 60% Hard Contact rate.  I'd so no, not too many ground balls.  Dare I say, he's hitting the ball too high???

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Isn't it the other way around?  Renfroe is on fire and has the much longer resume.

Yeah, either way, the point is to just to have both to see how the PT shakes out and get full time ABs.