Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Reports are Buxton has gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason, has been working out 5 hours per day, and taking 90 minutes of bp per day since October. ADP is microscopic now and if it stays that way come draft day I’ll have lots of shares. I still believe in this kid. Flame away Motown Magic.

http://twinsdaily.com/topic/32123-buxton-has-gained-21-pounds-of-muscle-this-offseason/

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buxton is like a Thursday night with the boys. You know you got work in the morning, you tell yourself eh I'll just have a pint, quick snack... 3 hours later you're 2 shots and 5 pints deep throw

Looks hot now....   then you draft him.     

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/byron-buxton-says-he-fixed-his-swing-by-himself    

3 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 If he's hulked up, will he run as much? 

 

Yes. Definitively. 

 

I'm not worried about Buxton losing foot speed or having lost foot speed affect his ability to steal bases. He is too high of a percentile of athlete. If he comes out fat and moving at a jog, I'll change my tune. But this dudes too freakish for adding muscle to make me worry about him on the base paths. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

He should just bunt every time he's up

 

It's hard to say, because from a coaching perspective I dont' want him to completely give up his ability to hit. But I would damn near bunt a good amount of the time the infield gave me any space, provided I was a good bunter. 

 

I mean there's obviously a lot of factors that go into this statement, but Buxton's Bunt-Hit% is 38.8%. That would mean even his presumed SLG% while bunting (.388) would be slightly higher than his career .387. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, taobball said:

 

It's hard to say, because from a coaching perspective I dont' want him to completely give up his ability to hit. But I would damn near bunt a good amount of the time the infield gave me any space, provided I was a good bunter. 

 

I mean there's obviously a lot of factors that go into this statement, but Buxton's Bunt-Hit% is 38.8%. That would mean even his presumed SLG% while bunting (.388) would be slightly higher than his career .387. 

When you have that much speed and have the success rate he does stealing bases, I don't know why he doesn't do it more, It would draw the infield in a little more and then if he does swing he might be able to get it past the infielders a little more often

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 9:37 PM, meh2 said:

Reports are Buxton has gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason, has been working out 5 hours per day, and taking 90 minutes of bp per day since October. ADP is microscopic now and if it stays that way come draft day I’ll have lots of shares. I still believe in this kid. Flame away Motown Magic.

http://twinsdaily.com/topic/32123-buxton-has-gained-21-pounds-of-muscle-this-offseason/

But will he be in the best shape of his life? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:37 PM, meh2 said:

Reports are Buxton has gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason, has been working out 5 hours per day, and taking 90 minutes of bp per day since October. ADP is microscopic now and if it stays that way come draft day I’ll have lots of shares. I still believe in this kid. Flame away Motown Magic.

http://twinsdaily.com/topic/32123-buxton-has-gained-21-pounds-of-muscle-this-offseason/

I feel bad I’m down on Buxton . Guess I’m the only one 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, motown magic said:

I feel bad I’m down on Buxton . Guess I’m the only one 😂

You’re definitely not the only one. I think more people are down on him than they are excited about him, which is why his ADP is around 190. I appreciate hearing  different views than mine which is what makes these forums helpful. I’ve already done 1 draft and I have him as my 6th outfielder in a 5 outfielder league. At this cost I hope to draft him everywhere but I also think his ADP may significantly rise with a strong spring showing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but a strong spring doesn’t cut it for me . Pitchers are working on things and many will never see a major league mound . In my opinion if he can’t  hit in ST he can’t hit anytime . 

I don’t care if he’s a 6th outfielder or any other number . If his numbers are mostly bad much of  the season I’m not having him for the 2-3 weeks he may get lucky and hit .250

ive been burned twice by him . Until I see a Full solid season I can do with out the extra stress 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's definitely worth a flyer at pick 170+ in redraft. That's the time smart managers take gambles like this. If he lives up to some of his potential, he could REALLY give you a leg up especially with how hard it's become to find steals. If he still sucks, you can drop him without much damage done considering his draft price. 

 

I remember this time last year I could've seen it going either way for him, but didn't want to pay a top 70 pick price to find out. I like picks with a higher floor at that range. This year though I'll gladly pay the price of a 170+ pick for the upside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The positivity in this thread is really enlightening... But I am not buying into this guy. His ADP is only going to climb from his top prospect pedigree and name value by the time draft day comes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 10:37 AM, meh2 said:

Reports are Buxton has gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason, has been working out 5 hours per day, and taking 90 minutes of bp per day since October. ADP is microscopic now and if it stays that way come draft day I’ll have lots of shares. I still believe in this kid. Flame away Motown Magic.

http://twinsdaily.com/topic/32123-buxton-has-gained-21-pounds-of-muscle-this-offseason/

 

It will not help his Eye at the plate

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

 

It will not help his Eye at the plate

Because it’s unprecedented for a young, talented player to take a little while longer to hit major league pitching? Because it’s unfathomable to think that a young, talented player could bust his a** in the cages to correct flaws in his game? And because there’s no evidence that significant strength gains in a baseball player can enhance their performance? He’s clearly never going to succeed. 100% do not draft!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Because it’s unprecedented for a young, talented player to take a little while longer to hit major league pitching? Because it’s unfathomable to think that a young, talented player could bust his a** in the cages to correct flaws in his game? And because there’s no evidence that significant strength gains in a baseball player can enhance their performance? He’s clearly never going to succeed. 100% do not draft!

 

I'm not saying that but go ahead and take a flyer on him and his 30 % K rates with no walks like you are soooooo smart like last year while I stay away and finish top 3 once again in competitive league. He ain't a "sleeper" or a "steal" lmao ... There's better option.

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I got him in all my 3 keeper leagues.

 

drafted him in the 23rd round in one (16-teamer, even I was surprised tbh)

got him for Alex Wood in a 1v1 trade in another league

and drafted him in the 21st round in another one (also a 16-teamer)

 

heck with it, even Profar finally had a good year in 2018

No reason to pass on Buxton if the price tag is right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...