NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ross Stripling 2019 Outlook

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When does MLB finally crack down on this bull****?

Everything about him concerns me

+ Urias

Posted Images

Also heard on the Dodgers broadcast last night that he has been throwing in the bullpen after his appearances lately, to keep stretched out for this situation. May not be as far from a full workload as his IP indicates. 

4 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

not bothering with him until he goes 5-6 innings.

Ok, so wait one more start but it would be smart to get him now if he's available and just sit him until he is stretched out more. Hill is going to be out for at least a m

2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Ok, so wait one more start but it would be smart to get him now if he's available and just sit him until he is stretched out more. Hill is going to be out for at least a m

you could do that but I don't have the roster space to waste until then.

22 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

you could do that but I don't have the roster space to waste until then.

Pitching primarily as a starter last year he threw 122 innings with a 3.02 era, a 1.19 whip and 136 strikeouts. In most cases that's a whole lot better than the back end rotation guys most people are rostering but I don't know your roster or league specifics so fair enough I guess. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Pitching primarily as a starter last year he threw 122 innings with a 3.02 era, a 1.19 whip and 136 strikeouts. In most cases that's a whole lot better than the back end rotation guys most people are rostering but I don't know your roster or league specifics so fair enough I guess. 

he has been a really good starter.

10 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Won't find a value like Stripling at this point in the season on the waiver wire. Aside from a prospect like Luzardo, Gallen or McKay

I don't know. He seems to be stuck in the wrong end of a "pitching platoon" with Urias. He starts the game, but then leaves before getting deep enough to even qualify for a W. I think his value will eventually increase as they stretch him out, but right now I'm playing Urias over Stripling looking for those vulture Ws and some Holds. I think eventually both guys will be solid value, though. 

Urias piggybacked Maeda on Sunday for 3 innings. May not be available to backup Stripling on Tuesday. So Stripling may get enough innings for the W or Dodgers have to rely on a different relievers. 

1 hour ago, Halo Fan said:

I don't know. He seems to be stuck in the wrong end of a "pitching platoon" with Urias. He starts the game, but then leaves before getting deep enough to even qualify for a W. I think his value will eventually increase as they stretch him out, but right now I'm playing Urias over Stripling looking for those vulture Ws and some Holds. I think eventually both guys will be solid value, though. 

Like you said, Urias only came in because Stripling wasn't stretched out yet. He threw 60 pitches which was an increase of 15 from his previous outing on the 20th. The outing prior to that he only threw 17 pitches on the 16th. That was a pretty big jump in just 10 days time so I would imagine they let him go roughly 75 pitches tomorrow if things are going well. After that I think he'll pretty much be stretched out. I believe that Stripling has top 25 starter value ros. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

According to Fangraphs his velo is down almost 1.5 ticks from last season.  Not that he relies on velo but it is worth noting.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

Stripling said on the PitchersList podcast that his next start is likely 75 pitches and after that, he's pretty much fully stretched out. He's also now going through his starter routine which is quite different from a reliever routine. I figure after tomorrow, he'll be good to go as a regular starter.

• Like 2

[Enough with the "competitive league" nonsense. People play in a wide range of formats, league depths, etc. Saying a player shouldn't be avaliable in someone else's league adds nothing to the discussion.] 

Stripling was an all-star as a starter last year and started this season playing as well and went at least 6 innings multiple times. Dodgers said he deserves a spot in the rotation. He’s their 6th starter and the odd man out when everyone’s healthy. Right now it’s a matter of him being stretched out so don’t miss out if he’s available on your waiver!!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Won't find a value like Stripling at this point in the season on the waiver wire. Aside from a prospect like Luzardo, Gallen or McKay

Definitely agree, in competitive leagues he shouldn't be around at this point and will be snatched up if you wait too long for him to stretch out to 6 or 7 innings. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:19 AM, sagrim said:

Urias piggybacked Maeda on Sunday for 3 innings. May not be available to backup Stripling on Tuesday. So Stripling may get enough innings for the W or Dodgers have to rely on a different relievers. 

Different relievers for the win...literally.

Edited by Halo Fan
  • Thanks 1

Not quite the results I was hoping for at home but the 7 Ks were nice. Looks like the defense behind him didn't do him any favors either I guess. Hopefully he has a better overall start next time out, even at home will be a test against a good Padres team. 

His next start will either be @BOS or @ PHI. Depending on how things shake out he has a chance to start home v MIA. 

He's not going to be usable in that first start imo - I have no trust whatsoever at this point. I'm heavily weighing cutting bait.