NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kris Bryant 2019 Outlook

IlliniGuy76

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Just read an article from Michael Salfino on The Athletic titled "Is there hope for Kris Bryant's broken power tool?"

I don't think I can link to the article or post the entire thing here, but this is the conclusion and I couldn't agree more:

Taken all together, it seems at best 50/50 now that Bryant bounces back to even all-star form this year. In the category we care about, it would be about 25-to-30 homers going forward. For that he would have to be fully healthy and suddenly find his home-run groove, the probability of which is about 75% for each. So if someone is willing to pay me 75 cents of his draft-day value, I take it. Less than that, I hold and hope.

• Like 1

IMO, he looks a little more confident right now in the box. Couple of good games with his first round trippers since opening day and he just missed out on a double, hit sharply into left, because of a great running catch by David Peralta. Who knows if we will ever see MVP level KB again, but if he can keep this new found level of confidence/approach into the coming weeks and months as the weather warms up, we should see some good numbers along the way.

Dude is starting to mash, guys. Had 4 batted balls hit over 105 mph exit velo the other day, and somehow got only one hit out of it. .450 xwOBA over his last 50 plate appearances too. [Removed Cool Story]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Buy low guys!

Plenty of Bryant owners are down on him for "overspending" on draft day but he's on a great offense that started off slow, in the perfect spot in the order, with a proven ability to crush advanced pitching throughout his career in the Minors and the Majors.  The shoulder injury messed with him physically, and it took him some time to mentally get over being hit the damn face with a 96mph fastball.  I fully expect the Kris Bryant who people were thinking would be up there with the very best in baseball, again.  Don't miss out when he can be had in plenty of leagues at a deep discount.

His approach looks fearless right now, and even with a ton of bad luck, his stats are on the rise, along with others in that batting order.  Opportunities like these, when capitalized on, can help to win championships.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

If his name wasn’t Kris Bryant he would be dropped in any respectable league. I keep holding out hope. I bench him he hits a HR. I play him he goes 1/5 with a run scored. 

Bum status 

I mean he seems to be turning the corner. And part of fantasy is knowing to trust the proven commodities. KB is one and when you consider the missed time last season, a slow start shouldn't be surprising. Recently bought in one league and so far no regrets.