NBC Sports Edge Forums

Noah Vonleh 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Just now, Espoiral said:

Any reason to believe he will continue doing this? So tempting to pick him up, but Fiz.....

I mean I’m not married to Fiz but he’s been outplaying his competion by a wide margin and he’s been playing him thus far.  Why would he stop playing him when he’s playing so well?  Fiz has proven that he tries a lot of different lineups but when has he ever stopped playing someone with the hot hand?

• Like 1
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these questions are relevant here because we're talking bout the best guy to pick up here. People mentioning Harrell, siakam, I'll throw out Zac Collins too. All these guys seem to be in a gro

Lol. Classic Roto Forums. First quarter RIP. Drop city. Second half,  he's the best player on the team. 4th quarter, ok I'll hold for now. After game, definite hold.

23 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I mean I’m not married to Fiz but he’s been outplaying his competion by a wide margin and he’s been playing him thus far.  Why would he stop playing him when he’s playing so well?  Fiz has proven that he tries a lot of different lineups but when has he ever stopped playing someone with the hot hand?

True this, but I guess it's hard to depend on Fiz on whatever he says or does. Look at Mitch Rob. He said he was all-in in developing him, starting him... and look at what's happened. Obviously some of it could be attributed to him being raw but technically Fiz should let him play through his mistakes right? IIRC Vonleh was starting earlier this season but Fiz inexplicably started Knox a game or two before going back to Vonleh.

But anyway, screw it. Made the add for Bridges. In a 10-team, I'll just drop if he doesn't pan out. At least he has a more consistent path to minutes, and I hope Fiz continues to make him a staple of the rotation with Hardaway. 3s, rebounds, blocks, steals. Perfect modern day big. 

Now I know Fiz's coachspeak is hard to trust.... but this has to get people at least excited right? Reminds me of the stuff people were talking about Siakam before the season started, funnily enough.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a different situation because Robinson isn’t objectively good.  He’s a great shot blocker so he’s good in fantasy but he’s not a compete player. Vonleh is a former lottery pick who everyone knew was good but never really had opportunity and didn’t capitalize when he did.  But I think Fiz knows he’s actually good.  

• Like 3

i agree with this guy ^

i been watching some of the knicks' games since i'm from ny and Robinson gets into a ton of foul trouble, he's also super raw

Vonleh has been actively improving, at the beginning of the season he didn't shoot any 3s but now he's taking at least 1-2 a game. he also didn't get much opportunity being in Portland with all their bigs. this might be a mini breakout season for him.

granted, i wouldn't compare him to harrell or siakam. those guys are REALLY good. vonleh still has a lot to improve on and one can only hope he keeps getting minutes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Fiz tried out Knox for a couple games to see if he was any better, then realized that Vonleh was still the better option as a starter

I'm on board..I believe Vonleh to have established his place as a starter now

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, LuN said:

I think Fiz tried out Knox for a couple games to see if he was any better, then realized that Vonleh was still the better option as a starter

I'm on board..I believe Vonleh to have established his place as a starter now

If you think there is an established starter besides THJ, you need to watch more Knick games lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

It’s a different situation because Robinson isn’t objectively good.  He’s a great shot blocker so he’s good in fantasy but he’s not a compete player. Vonleh is a former lottery pick who everyone knew was good but never really had opportunity and didn’t capitalize when he did.  But I think Fiz knows he’s actually good.  

I can't agree with that.  Vonleh has had an incredible amount of opportunities.  The problem for him is he's insanely inconsistent and nobody really knows why.  He's always shown the ability to stretch the floor, he's always had good shot blocking instincts, he's always shown good rebounding prowess.  The issue is that he can just completely disappear on any given night.

Hopefully he's starting to figure it out.  He's only 23 but so far this season he's been exactly who I thought he was, a roller coaster player in terms of fantasy production.

6 hours ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

This guy was adored coming out of college onto the Blazers -- they just never gave him much run.

Only 23 -- he has most of the tools to be good and has improved... We'll see how he sustains himself and whether or not Fiz settles down -- if only a little.

He was drafted by Charlotte.

I disagree Portland gave him PLENTY of opportunity over his years there but he never showed an ability to consistently produce.  He was routinely outplayed by Harkless and Ed Davis and couldn't even lock down a consistent backup role on a team that was screaming for some production from a big off the bench.  IMO the worst indictment of his lack of development is that not one but two teams have cut ties with him for cents on the dollar.  He's been traded for cash considerations twice.

It's been mentioned repeatedly that he's still young and while true I'm not holding my breath he suddenly develops consistency.  I hope it happens, the Knicks could really use a player like him even when Porzingis comes back, but his body of work up until this point says otherwise.

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam

Ha, ya PLENTY of opportunity? Yikes

-I think he was sub 18 minutes every year in Portland. The guy was 20 when he got there with all the physical tools required. 

-Ceded minutes to Meyers Leonard. Meyers Leonard.

-Portland definitely thought they were contenders and development clearly took a back seat (aminu is great, but his ceiling is/was nowhere near Vonleh's)

-Vonleh has always demonstrated commitment to both ends of the floor. Good defensive ability/could be a better blocker

Any way, I guess if you view him as having ample opportunity -- that's fine. There were legit arguments for him to get more playing time while he was there -- only amplified when Leonard was exposed and Vonleh left stagnant at 21yrs old

Reasons optimism:

-If Fizdale is for real, he has a pretty good track record with bigs similar to Vonleh like Bosh and Gasol. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

Ha, ya PLENTY of opportunity? Yikes

Yes.  He got plenty of opportunity.  Look at his breakdown year on year.

-I think he was sub 18 minutes every year in Portland. The guy was 20 when he got there with all the physical tools required. 

First season in Portland, after 2 preseasons and one full season in the NBA, he played sub 20 mins per game with a few starts here and there.  Fair enough he was still developing both mentally but physically he was ready for a role by the time he was in Portland. 

Second season in Portland: Started 41 games, averaged 22min/game in the starting unit, post ASB averaged 25 min/game.

Third season in Portland: Averaged over 20 min/game at the start of the season for Portland then disappeared.  Traded to Chicago and same thing.  Averaged over 20/game and disappeared.  Couldn't secure a backup role in Chicago even though Portis has the interior defensive presence of a wet paper towel.

-Ceded minutes to Meyers Leonard. Meyers Leonard.

Because Leonard was actually giving Stotts what he wanted out of the PF spot with floor spacing and rebounding.  Regardless it wasn't like Leonard was all of a sudden a 30 min/game player.  Both Vonleh and Leonard both hovered around the same playing time during Vonleh's time there and surprise surprise, neither were consistent.

-Portland definitely thought they were contenders and development clearly took a back seat (aminu is great, but his ceiling is/was nowhere near Vonleh's)

I'd agree with this, Portland were definitely trying to win, but it wasn't like Vonleh wasn't given a chance.  Aminu and Harkless were just better and deserved the time.

Like I said talent isn't the issue.  It's consistent production.  Something that Vonleh hasn't shown the ability to give so far in his career.

31 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Yes.  He got plenty of opportunity.  Look at his breakdown year on year.

First season in Portland, after 2 preseasons and one full season in the NBA, he played sub 20 mins per game with a few starts here and there.  Fair enough he was still developing both mentally but physically he was ready for a role by the time he was in Portland. 

Second season in Portland: Started 41 games, averaged 22min/game in the starting unit, post ASB averaged 25 min/game.

Third season in Portland: Averaged over 20 min/game at the start of the season for Portland then disappeared.  Traded to Chicago and same thing.  Averaged over 20/game and disappeared.  Couldn't secure a backup role in Chicago even though Portis has the interior defensive presence of a wet paper towel.

Because Leonard was actually giving Stotts what he wanted out of the PF spot with floor spacing and rebounding.  Regardless it wasn't like Leonard was all of a sudden a 30 min/game player.  Both Vonleh and Leonard both hovered around the same playing time during Vonleh's time there and surprise surprise, neither were consistent.

I'd agree with this, Portland were definitely trying to win, but it wasn't like Vonleh wasn't given a chance.  Aminu and Harkless were just better and deserved the time.

Like I said talent isn't the issue.  It's consistent production.  Something that Vonleh hasn't shown the ability to give so far in his career.

I'm down with him. All of Portland's "bigs" have sucked outside of LA and Nurk for years. The rest have been big wings playing the 4 for the most part. Seems more of a stylistic type for that team then anything. It's somewhat fair to say it was a bad fit for him. You may be right on Chicago but they are Chicago. You aged him some in all that ha.  He's 23 years old and playing well right now. I think that's all that really matters. It's pretty clear he has the chops to be a good rotation player on the right team going forward.

• Like 2