Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

There were a lot of good reasons not to sign a player to a 10 or 13 year contract, or to sign a pitcher with 1 good season to a $140+ million contract.  90% of these long term deals don't pan out as wise investments.  I think the Yankees were right to avoid these guys at what they signed for.  They passed on Cano at his price and it's proven to be a wise decision. I think the emergence of Andujar and Machado's reputation as a questionable competitor & club house personality did as much to deter the Yankees as did his eventual cost.  I'm glad they passed on these guys in their current state. 

What people don't always understand is that it's not simply the money when it comes to long term deals.  It's the teams long and short term flexibility that gets bottled up.  For example, the Yankees spent the money on Stanton & have Judge.  Neither player is going anywhere for a long time.  That makes the OF less flexible. The same applies to the rotation.  You sign Corbin to 7 years & $141m you better be certain he's the real deal.  Is he pre 2018 Corbin who had a career era over 4 in the NL?  He better not be.  Cuz signing Corbin means it's unlikely you break the bank for Garrett Cole.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a fan of arguably (ha, not arguably absolutely) the most disgraceful major pro team in sports.  I’m actually really enjoying this Yankee team more than most teams I’ve watched over the years.  When

Damn tough crowd in here.  Some of you would last maybe one game being a Mariners fan before skydiving off the space needle with no parachute. 

Unreal haha

5 hours ago, dicka24 said:

but the team just needs to stay in the mix until the bulk of these players return. 

 

So their bats can go cold in October while they overly rely on the long ball and strike out all over the damn place. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

 

So their bats can go cold in October while they overly rely on the long ball and strike out all over the damn place. 

Exactly to what degree should they rely on the long ball, in your learned and estimable opinion?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to play situational baseball, ie being able to advance runners , going the opposite way and just generally more versatility on a rudimentary level would be a nice starting point.

Edited by Cheppy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheppy said:

Being able to play situational baseball, ie being able to advance runners , going the opposite way and just generally more versatility on a rudimentary level would be a nice starting point.

The Yankees are not built that way...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Being able to play situational baseball, ie being able to advance runners , going the opposite way and just generally more versatility on a rudimentary level would be a nice starting point.

As of mid-season last year, the Yankees had the fourth-highest opposite-field hit rate in the majors - and were one of the least shifted against defensively.

Hitting more homers than any team in baseball also serves to advance runners.

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites

New year and umpires are still screwing Judge on these kind of calls. I'm sick of Boone too, I would've been out of the game after a call like that. Totally killed the rally they had going. Just disgusted with this entire organization honestly. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

New year and umpires are still screwing Judge on these kind of calls. I'm sick of Boone too, I would've been out of the game after a call like that. Totally killed the rally they had going. Just disgusted with this entire organization honestly. 

 

I made my rant at the beginning of the judge thread but yes.  Boone needs a freaking backbone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

As of mid-season last year, the Yankees had the fourth-highest opposite-field hit rate in the majors - and were one of the least shifted against defensively.

Hitting more homers than any team in baseball also serves to advance runners.

 

Well they would be the least shifted against for the obvious reason I’ve pointed out a few times already. The over reliance on the long ball. And I made a point in my original comment to acknowledge that they’re going to hit a ton of said homeruns yet again. How that workout for them last October when generally speaking teams face the best pitching the league has to offer? Sorry but as a Yankee fan I care more about World Series Championships than I do regular season homerun records. 

 

It’s a faulty way to construct a lineup (especially with the heavy righty component) and to say otherwise is wearing rose colored glasses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

 

Well they would be the least shifted against for the obvious reason I’ve pointed out a few times already. The over reliance on the long ball. And I made a point in my original comment to acknowledge that they’re going to hit a ton of said homeruns yet again. How that workout for them last October when generally speaking teams face the best pitching the league has to offer? Sorry but as a Yankee fan I care more about World Series Championships than I do regular season homerun records. 

 

It’s a faulty way to construct a lineup (especially with the heavy righty component) and to say otherwise is wearing rose colored glasses. 

You didn’t seem to acknowledge my point that they nearly led the league in one of the areas you described as “situational hitting” - hitting to the opposite field.  That’s why teams stopped shifting against them, not because of homers.  Because, you know, you can’t actually make a play on those as a defender.

You also spoke of their deficiency in advancing runners - they scored the second-most runs in the majors last season.  They’ve done just fine advancing runners.  There’s nothing wrong with a roster constructed to score nearly more runs than any other MLB team.

You seem to be assuming they will be playing in October, so I guess we are on the same page that they will have a wonderful regular season.  You’re telling me, right here and now in early April, what is going to happen in games in October?  I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheppy said:

 

So their bats can go cold in October while they overly rely on the long ball and strike out all over the damn place. 

 

This is what I'm talking about when I talk about roster construction.  In the playoffs contact hitters, OBP, and balls being put in play are critical.  Sitting back and waiting for a 3 run homer is a losing proposition come playoff time.  Granted the league is different now, but the 90's Yankees did it with 15 to 25 homer bats who hit doubles, worked the count, and put the ball in play.  It's softball vs baseball.  I prefer the latter but it feels like the Yankees are built for the former. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

You didn’t seem to acknowledge my point that they nearly led the league in one of the areas you described as “situational hitting” - hitting to the opposite field.  That’s why teams stopped shifting against them, not because of homers.  Because, you know, you can’t actually make a play on those as a defender.

You also spoke of their deficiency in advancing runners - they scored the second-most runs in the majors last season.  They’ve done just fine advancing runners.  There’s nothing wrong with a roster constructed to score nearly more runs than any other MLB team.

You seem to be assuming they will be playing in October, so I guess we are on the same page that they will have a wonderful regular season.  You’re telling me, right here and now in early April, what is going to happen in games in October?  I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree on that one.

I don't think the "advancing runners" some of us are referring to means hitting homeruns and "advancing" the runner home.   Traditionally what "advancing the runner" means is, for example, runner on 2nd no outs and the hitter hits the ball to the right side of the field so that the runner on 2nd can advance to 3rd with only 1 out. We're talking about situational hitting.  Forgive me if you know this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

 

This is what I'm talking about when I talk about roster construction.  In the playoffs contact hitters, OBP, and balls being put in play are critical.  Sitting back and waiting for a 3 run homer is a losing proposition come playoff time.  Granted the league is different now, but the 90's Yankees did it with 15 to 25 homer bats who hit doubles, worked the count, and put the ball in play.  It's softball vs baseball.  I prefer the latter but it feels like the Yankees are built for the former. 

Yes, the league is different, to put it mildly. It’s a totally different run environment and strikeout environment.  Even so, the Yanks ranked 8th in MLB in OBP last year (tied with Houston), and were about middle of the pack in doubles to go with all those homers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dicka24 said:

I don't think the "advancing runners" some of us are referring to means hitting homeruns and "advancing" the runner home.   Traditionally what "advancing the runner" means is, for example, runner on 2nd no outs and the hitter hits the ball to the right side of the field so that the runner on 2nd can advance to 3rd with only 1 out. We're talking about situational hitting.  Forgive me if you know this.

No, I understand - perhaps I was too focused on the “homers are not good” point.  I understand that they don’t do as much of that as other teams, but I don’t think they are incapable of it.  I think it’s just not something they need to do regularly to win games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Honestly I don't think the lineup today is that bad.

 

Yeah Wade's batting ninth but you can't have studs everywhere.

 

Gardy is Gardy. Bird and Sanchez need to step up.

 

Bird needs to step it up? Maybe Bird is what he is. A below average 1B who once had a good 50-game stretch. He'll occasionally hit a HR and then do nothing for weeks. Good luck expecting someone like that to step it up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

No clue why Gleyber bats so low in the lineup. Should be hitting 2nd in front of Judge and behind DJL leading off. Gardner should be 9th. 

 

Image result for clap gif

 

id hit him 3rd with sanchez then voit then bird behind him, even when hicks comes back. lead hicks off and bump DJL to like 7th or something

Edited by jfazz23
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

You didn’t seem to acknowledge my point that they nearly led the league in one of the areas you described as “situational hitting” - hitting to the opposite field.  That’s why teams stopped shifting against them, not because of homers.  Because, you know, you can’t actually make a play on those as a defender.

You also spoke of their deficiency in advancing runners - they scored the second-most runs in the majors last season.  They’ve done just fine advancing runners.  There’s nothing wrong with a roster constructed to score nearly more runs than any other MLB team.

You seem to be assuming they will be playing in October, so I guess we are on the same page that they will have a wonderful regular season.  You’re telling me, right here and now in early April, what is going to happen in games in October?  I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree on that one.

 

Instead of me simply stating they needed to go the opposite way more is admittedly a bad job on my part. What I meant but didn't provide enough nuance there was their complete lack of playing situational baseball. IE executing hit and runs and generally having an approach besides going yard. And again, I acknowledged they're going to hit a ton of homeruns and in the stat sheet look impressive during the regular season. But if you're content with regular season success then more power to you. As a Yankee fan you're practically a unicorn.

 

Now in my original comment I also made a point of stating "if" they make it to October so no, we're not 100% on the same page. And it's not rocket science, the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. I mean, an NFL team that plays in a dome that kills it during the regular season and puts up gaudy stats only to wilt in the playoffs when the you have to play in bad weather and more of an emphasis is put on fundamentals isn't a very surprising outcome even to casual fans. Same applies here. Like I pointed out already generally speaking you're facing the best pitching the league has to offer. First and foremost pitching is paramount but having a three-dimensional lineup is also very integral in a team advancing and that's something the Yankees don't have. If you're overly reliant on the longball it's a detriment. (or any other facet for that matter) And that's compounded by the lineup being right-hand heavy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

 

This is what I'm talking about when I talk about roster construction.  In the playoffs contact hitters, OBP, and balls being put in play are critical.  Sitting back and waiting for a 3 run homer is a losing proposition come playoff time.  Granted the league is different now, but the 90's Yankees did it with 15 to 25 homer bats who hit doubles, worked the count, and put the ball in play.  It's softball vs baseball.  I prefer the latter but it feels like the Yankees are built for the former. 

 

Correct! And every single run came via the homerun today. The Yankees offense in a nutshell. But let's rejoice they beat the Orioles in April!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

 

Correct! And every single run came via the homerun today. The Yankees offense in a nutshell. But let's rejoice they beat the Orioles in April!

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beating the Orioles in April doesn't get me too pumped up as a Yankee fan. Nor does their prerequisite domination of the Twins. But if they exhibited a more faceted approach offensively then I probably would genuinely be more impressed & optimistic. (even in this early stage of the season)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheppy said:

 

Instead of me simply stating they needed to go the opposite way more is admittedly a bad job on my part. What I meant but didn't provide enough nuance there was their complete lack of playing situational baseball. IE executing hit and runs and generally having an approach besides going yard. And again, I acknowledged they're going to hit a ton of homeruns and in the stat sheet look impressive during the regular season. But if you're content with regular season success then more power to you. As a Yankee fan you're practically a unicorn.

 

Now in my original comment I also made a point of stating "if" they make it to October so no, we're not 100% on the same page. And it's not rocket science, the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. I mean, an NFL team that plays in a dome that kills it during the regular season and puts up gaudy stats only to wilt in the playoffs when the you have to play in bad weather and more of an emphasis is put on fundamentals isn't a very surprising outcome even to casual fans. Same applies here. Like I pointed out already generally speaking you're facing the best pitching the league has to offer. First and foremost pitching is paramount but having a three-dimensional lineup is also very integral in a team advancing and that's something the Yankees don't have. If you're overly reliant on the longball it's a detriment. (or any other facet for that matter) And that's compounded by the lineup being right-hand heavy.

Arguing the Yanks are built for the HR, do not play fundamentally sound baseball (advance runners, situational hit, etc), and are sort of built to beat up on bad teams is more or less well known and has been for some time.  It has been the team's problem to varying degrees since the end of the Bernie\O'neill\Jeter\Posada era in the early 2000s imo.  The analytics guys have taken over though so that is unlikely to change which is why you get garbage comments made by the manager and GM like "Strikeouts do not matter" and 200+ ks is accepted...as is Mendoza line hitting Cs that can not catch the ball.  That said, outside of the Red Sox, the other AL teams are more or less in the same situation in that respect.

 

Which brings us to the pitching, which can be good, though who really knows with the injury histories of a number of them.  IF everyone is healthy and pitching well, they match up fairly well with any AL team.  The problem the Yanks have had in this respect is that they have not developed a front line, legit Ace from their farm system since Andy Pettitte back in 1995 (Severino not withstanding and TBD in that respect).  It has forced them into the free agent and trade market for starting pitching and the results there have been less than impressive since the early 2000s.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheppy said:

Beating the Orioles in April doesn't get me too pumped up as a Yankee fan. Nor does their prerequisite domination of the Twins. But if they exhibited a more faceted approach offensively then I probably would genuinely be more impressed & optimistic. (even in this early stage of the season)

Really?  I remember looking back on those early losses to the O’s just last season and wondering what would’ve happened if we had just managed a few more wins against them and other terrible teams - maybe we would’ve won the division.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...