NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ronald Acuna 2019 Outlook

StarlinCastro

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Snitker confirmed Acuna will hit cleanup and that he has the green light no matter where he hits. Great news for his fantasy potential as many people had some concern about his stolen base numbers if he were to hit in the 4 spot. There certainly will be fewer attempts than if he lead off but I think with Snit giving him the green light that we could easily see 25 from him.

Can someone tell me why sooooo many projections have him at 275ish BA when he his much higher last year?

I mean I get sophomore yada, yada.......but so many young players actually hit higher, much higher regarding BA their sophomore season like Griffey Jr., Correa, and many others

I plan on drafting him at 5 tomorrow and I do not expect less than a 285 BA and think that is the lowest

2 minutes ago, henchforlife said:

Can someone tell me why sooooo many projections have him at 275ish BA when he his much higher last year?

I mean I get sophomore yada, yada.......but so many young players actually hit higher, much higher regarding BA their sophomore season like Griffey Jr., Correa, and many others

I plan on drafting him at 5 tomorrow and I do not expect less than a 285 BA and think that is the lowest

Don’t worry man.  Just draft him and enjoy.

2 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Don’t worry man.  Just draft him and enjoy.

Thanks

Some sites scare the hell out of me saying babip this, ground ball this, fly ball that, age this...... 265 avg regression and floor of top 50 only possible

I am still kind of new but I know I can lose with my first round pick

1 minute ago, henchforlife said:

Thanks

Some sites scare the hell out of me saying babip this, ground ball this, fly ball that, age this...... 265 avg regression and floor of top 50 only possible

I am still kind of new but I know I can lose with my first round pick

The way I see it is after the top 3 picks in the first round there is a risk for each and every player.  There is no such thing as playing it safe in round 1 after the top 3.  So swing for the fences and draft Acuna.  Kid is a beast.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

He could still get a big contract later too. Hard to pass 100 million dollars up at age 21.

Absolutely.  God forbid but he could get a career ending injury at any time.  He has just banked a 100 mil guaranteed plus at least two 10 mil buyout years should he remain healthy and stellar and choose free agency:

Jeff Passan of ESPN.com reports that the Braves and Ronald Acuna are nearing an eight-year, $100 million extension.

Oh baby. Per Passan, the deal also includes two option years worth $17 million each (with a $10 million buyout on each) while Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that it begins this year. That means he's signed through his age-28 season and possibly through his age-30 season for a maximum of $124 million. Not even a year removed from his MLB debut, Acuna already looks like one of the best young players in the game, so this deal could be a ridiculous bargain for the Braves if he remains on track. Extensions have become all the rage in recent weeks and it's hard to blame a player for taking life-changing money, but the landscape continues to be reshaped in regard to arbitration and free agency.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                            Apr 2, 2019, 12:27 PM

That is enough money for anyone in life and if he invests wisely and doesn't start blowing away money he will have way more than that amount in 8 years.  Having the money early means it can be earning him even more money in stocks, real estate etc then waiting for THE big pay day that may or may not ever come depending on him staying healthy all this time coming up.  Money in hand earns you a lot MORE money if invested wisely.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, matdotmarshall said:

Mookie just got $20m in arbitration, right? Hard for me to really understand how this adds up well for a guy who could command a Troutian payday. Sure, nobody's ever offered me $100 million but then again I've never been worth three times that amount.

After 4 years of service(Acuna has one), winning a MVP, Winning a world series. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Fair point, sure. Still, this contract covers the fourth year and there are examples of non-MVP, non-champion players who get above ~$12m by then, right? 

I dunno man. I don't blame Acuña for taking the money and i'm not trying to argue, but I'm struggling to see how he didn't get shorted.

Just now, matdotmarshall said:

Fair point, sure. Still, this contract covers the fourth year and there are examples of non-MVP, non-champion players who get above ~$12m by then, right? 

I dunno man. I don't blame Acuña for taking the money and i'm not trying to argue, but I'm struggling to see how he didn't get shorted.

This is the same type of a deal Trout took. ATL gave this to Acuna sooner then the angels did for Trout too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

He didn't get called up early enough to just have 5 years of service time.  Atlanta controls him for 6 don;t they?  I mean that is the whole point of holding down prospects for a few weeks to do just that.  Get that sixth year.  He had 433 ABs last year and that says to me that Atlanta does have that extra year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

This is the same type of a deal Trout took. ATL gave this to Acuna sooner then the angels did for Trout too.

6 years for $144 mil is not close to the same as 8 years 100.  Obviously Acunas is earlier, but the main difference is his $17 mil option years for year 9/10 were 33 million for trout

• Like 1