NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ronald Acuna 2019 Outlook

StarlinCastro

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

You are approaching this with a fear based mentality.

Nope.  With a pragmatic, realistic approach.  Take the money now and invest it and make a lot more money and protect yourself from real things that happen in the real world.  Like career ending injuries or injuries that start re-occurring year and year decreasing his value or even serious illness etc.  That isn't fear mentality any more than taking out car or life insurance.  That is seeing the world like it really is and not getting uber greedy because you live in a dream world where everything always goes right and is filled with rainbows and unicorns.

He is a mega multi-millionaire and that is more than 99.999999% of the world's population will ever have including all of us.  It is enough.  It is WAY more than enough.  A person doesn't need that much money yet he has it now.  AND he has ALSO guaranteed it against not even having to work for it if he gets injured.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

All these round number contracts frustrate me. Just negotiate another mil and put it all on black to celebrate

Happy with the Trout contract?

7 hours ago, tm30 said:

Anyone who thinks Acuna is getting robbed is not factoring in the risk premium of playing another five (?) years without a career altering injury.   It's more than fair and more than prudent to become filthy rich today instead of gambling on becoming extra-filthy rich in a few years.  At some point, the amount of wealth offered here and now is so absurd, it's beyond stupid to gamble or let ego get in the way.

I understand but taking yourself all the way to your Age 30 season as a 21 year old seems to be a terrible negotiation 

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

Happy with the Trout contract?

No. He wanted Trout to negotiate an extra $1 million. And then set up a pay per view, scratch that, commercial free network event showing Trout throw that extra $1 mill down on the roulette table and let someone on Twitter pick a single bet for all of it. 

😂😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I understand but taking yourself all the way to your Age 30 season as a 21 year old seems to be a terrible negotiation 

Guys can’t get paid at 29-30? And at that point he’ll get 2027 money relatively speaking. 

Really despite the move to clean up given how good he was at lead off last year. It’s not where he wants to hit, and he is not seeing good pitches there. Would be so nice having Donaldson after him.

Also looking pretty late on fastballs thus far, which was his issue first half last year, so it’s an adjustment he’s made before thankfully. 

Edited by Letitbe793

On 4/5/2019 at 11:34 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

He sure does make it look easy. Now get hot, kid. 

Did they put up another graphic before his next at bat showing the updated numbers? I hate when these broadcast teams talk about numbers after 30-40 at bats... do they realize how stupid they sound?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I'm not concerned at all with his start to the season. Sophomore slump?? He's walked more than he's struck out so far which imo is a good sign of things to come. 

Plus many of his hits were hard hits but right to someone; I was at the game earlier this week when the Braves took on the Cubs, though there were ground outs, they were hard hit ground outs. Looking at his avg. EV, increased almost 4 miles and hard hit % increased by almost 8%. On top of it, look at his K% compare to BB %, I am still very confidence that he will snap out of this.

image.thumb.png.d4d2f82ed11a9b66a51b28521937cab1.png

Edited by AF25
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, Cdub2k said:

It's weird cause he has one of the best agents in the world, so maybe he just wanted to get paid. Someone should tell him how dumb he is.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 11:34 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

He sure does make it look easy. Now get hot, kid. 

The Marlins broadcast was talking about sophomore slumps a week into the season? Haha, I suppose that's why they are "broadcasting" for a team that no one watches. That's just having terrible knowledge of the game and ignoring reality and small sample sizes.

Anyway, this kid is unbelievable. Such a joy to watch play. He's going to have a great career and good for he and Albies for setting their lives up with long term deals.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

The Marlins broadcast was talking about sophomore slumps a week into the season? Haha, I suppose that's why they are "broadcasting" for a team that no one watches. That's just having terrible knowledge of the game and ignoring reality and small sample sizes.

Anyway, this kid is unbelievable. Such a joy to watch play. He's going to have a great career and good for he and Albies for setting their lives up with long term deals.

The funny thing is the peripherals all screamed "small sample size" while that was happening. His BABIP was terrible and his strike zone judgement actually seemed better than last year. You could only mistake that for a slump if you looked at batting average and absolutely nothing else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanghow said:

The funny thing is the peripherals all screamed "small sample size" while that was happening. His BABIP was terrible and his strike zone judgement actually seemed better than last year. You could only mistake that for a slump if you looked at batting average and absolutely nothing else.

Exactly. It was a lazy analysis from the Marlins broadcast.

12 hours ago, Hanghow said:

.222 BABIP and a .392 OBP currently. His BABIP last year was .352, so who knows what that OBP ends up at if the plate discipline gains are real?

He does have a 1.000 BABIP this week so that helps... (not fun to face, side point)

• Like 1

Is there a way to see how many times he's had an opportunity to steal? I feel like he has only had a few chances to actually steal a base.  Snitker said early in the season that e's free to run as much as he'd like.  I imagine he didn't want to get a CS with the Braves down by a few tonight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Wish he would run.  Leadoff single, doesn’t run while Markakis takes it to a full count before striking out, then doesn’t run while Dansby eventually dribbled a grounder to the SS forcing Acuna back to the bench. 

The Braves were down 4 in the bottom of the 8th at that point.  Are you suggesting he should potentially run into outs at that point in the game?

• Like 1