NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Austin Meadows 2019 Outlook

svdude

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

They were not platooning him. I never said they were. I said they sat him against SOME LEFTIES. He got more days off than the “occasional one” an every day player gets but more than a straight platoon guy. And no, I am 100 percent not confusing him with how he was used in Pittsburgh. Go back and look at the game logs and who the pitchers were.

I am mobile like I said I don't have his game log in front of me.... how many days off per week was he getting vs lhp?

Edited by El_Chingon

Just now, Ryansm11 said:

I was at the game last night in Tampa. Meadows crushed that ball it landed within 20 feet of me. Really wanted it! 

From replays it looked like he got jammed a bit but he was still strong enough to will it out. He looks like a really good hitter right now and looks like he took a huge step forward.

10 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

They were not platooning him. I never said they were. I said they sat him against SOME LEFTIES. He got more days off than the “occasional one” an every day player gets but more than a straight platoon guy. And no, I am 100 percent not confusing him with how he was used in Pittsburgh. Go back and look at the game logs and who the pitchers were.

Yes, this is accurate. 

And yes, these are the Rays. I’m all for playing splits/percentages but sometimes too much is too much. Last night was a perfect example. I’d still rather have Lowe up and his 8 straight K’s rather than Robertson and his .160 avg (he hit into a DP, essentially ended the game). Anyway, hope Meadows becomes a set and forget player from here on out. 

• Like 1

Tampa played 21 games before he got hurt. He sat 4/2 (game 6) vs Freeland, 4/7 (game 10) vs Pomeranz and 4/8 (game 11) vs Rodon. Games 12-21 he didn’t sit and faced Sale, Price x2, EROD, and Means. They sat him against some LHP to start but stopped sitting him when he got hot. Can’t see them sitting him against some LHP if he keeps hitting 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ty5592 said:

Tampa played 21 games before he got hurt. He sat 4/2 (game 6) vs Freeland, 4/7 (game 10) vs Pomeranz and 4/8 (game 11) vs Rodon. Games 12-21 he didn’t sit and faced Sale, Price x2, EROD, and Means. They sat him against some LHP to start but stopped sitting him when he got hot. Can’t see them sitting him against some LHP if he keeps hitting 

Thanks for digging this information up.  Like I suspected he will sit on occasion like any other MLB regular but is not in a platoon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Thanks for digging this information up.  Like I suspected he will sit on occasion like any other MLB regular but is not in a platoon.

Lol, I don’t think anyone ever said he was a platoon player. Just that early on he didn’t “feel” like that everyday, set and forget either. First off, the poster above pointed out he sat 3 out of first 21 games. Barring injury, that’s a pace of 139 games. Platoon? No. But not necessarily everyday set and forget either. But here’s what wasn’t pointed out and is very important. I believe there were 2 or 3 times where he was pinch hit for after the 6th inning (lefty on the mound). I could be wrong, but that’s what I seem to recall. So yes, that kind of **** does make it annoying and I hope it stops. 

Having said that, I think they now all believe this kid is for real and he’ll be in everyday, every AB. Coming back from injury and doing what he did last night I think solidifies that. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ty5592 said:

I hope you are right.  I loved Meadows in the preseason.  The injury sucked but hopefully he can pick up where he left off.  Yesterday was an encouraging sign.

19 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I hope you are right.  I loved Meadows in the preseason.  The injury sucked but hopefully he can pick up where he left off.  Yesterday was an encouraging sign.

No need for hope or a leap of faith,  @ty5592 is stating the facts.  He was sitting early on vs. some LHP because that's what a lot of MLB teams do to give their bench/platoon bats some PT.  To worry about him routinely sitting vs. LHP in a platoon situation is fear-mongering and a waste of energy and emotion.  

Edited by El_Chingon

2 hours ago, ty5592 said:

Yup this right here is key. The concern was if the thumb injury slowed him down it's conceivable they would have gone back to sitting him vs some Leftys. He did about as much as a player can in a 1 game sample to show that isn't the case though.

8 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

I think you two are kind of saying the same thing.  He WAS getting a few extra days off at the start of the season like I said but then they stopped doing that quickly and he has been an every day player now with only the occasional rest day which I assume would be taken against some lefty but no longer means he is sitting as a rule against lefties, tough or otherwise.

• Like 1

Rays cant score without him the lineup, they will figure this out VERY shortly with another Yankee Series upcoming after struggling to score this series as well

PT will be there no need to discuss that anymore IMO, enjoy the ride of this probably All-Star OF