NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Meadows 2019 Outlook

19 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

This slump he is in is starting to turn into a major crises. He needs to snap out of it this weekend, This is becoming ridiculous. He pretty much a out making machine..

17-97 .175 0 hrs 1 sb 3 rbis last 34 games. Even Odor thinks this guy can't hit anymore.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Username checks out 😝 

Born May 23, 1995 so he is 23 years and 272 days old today according to Baseball Reference who is your friend:  https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/meadoau01.shtml

Posted Images

Too much upside to dump.  He's getting pitched differently compared to the first couple months.  We always hear it's a game of adjustments.  Clearly pitching has made one in their approach to him and now Meadows will need to on his end.  

2 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

17-97 .175 0 hrs 1 sb 3 rbis last 34 games. Even Odor thinks this guy can't hit anymore.

He’s been terrible, but your stats are off. In the last 30 days he’s had 109 AB and 4 RBI. At least according to Yahoo. 

I’m just hoping he doesn’t play like a droppable player for the rest of the year. Obviously he’s a hold because of what we saw earlier in the year, but I’m starting to get a bit worried because he’s still pretty young and was never really a proven player. 

Kiermaier being banged up is buying him some extra starts. I thought he’d for sure be sitting against Happ today. He’s gotta break out of it soon. The Rays are crafty with their lineups and there’s no way he’s invincible with them in contention.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

He’s been terrible, but your stats are off. In the last 30 days he’s had 109 AB and 4 RBI. At least according to Yahoo. 

ok 4 rbis in 109ab over 3 rbis in 97 abs. either way it shows how god awful he has been. 0 XBHs in that time frame too. You think he close his eyes and blind squirrel at least 1 over the fence.

Man! I'm so lost on what is going on with this guy. Yeah i know about slumps, but a bit puzzled, go from one of the hottest hitters in baseball to damn near nothing.

I guess the pirates knew what they were doing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’s an easy bench and even in real life. This gives him an extended time to work on his swing and approach. Luckily we all know the talent and potential is there.  I strongly believe this is just a mental thing which all players go through. He’s young so he needs to go through this to better develop. I wouldn’t panic just yet and I’m looking forward to seeing how he’s adjusted after the ASB. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

He’s an easy bench and even in real life. This gives him an extended time to work on his swing and approach. Luckily we all know the talent and potential is there.  I strongly believe this is just a mental thing which all players go through. He’s young so he needs to go through this to better develop. I wouldn’t panic just yet and I’m looking forward to seeing how he’s adjusted after the ASB. 

Excellent post.

It's a mental game for sure, and Meadows is going to have to make adjustments going forward.

Being in a weekly I'm going to give him the weekend vs Baltimore to see if the break gets him back on track.  If he scuttles in the Baltimore series I'll move him to the bench the following full week.  I'm curious if the nose dive has anything to do with that thumb injury he suffered earlier in the season, or if it's just a flat out slump of monumental proportions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Being in a weekly I'm going to give him the weekend vs Baltimore to see if the break gets him back on track.  If he scuttles in the Baltimore series I'll move him to the bench the following full week.  I'm curious if the nose dive has anything to do with that thumb injury he suffered earlier in the season, or if it's just a flat out slump of monumental proportions.

He still came back hot for a while after the injury. He cooled off significantly about a week or two after his return if I remember correctly. So unless he had a set back when returning and hasn’t told anybody, I think either he’s in a huge funk or he was in over his head at the beginning of the year.

Obviously he wasn’t going to hit .380 or whatever he was doing, but I was still hoping for some good value. If he just plays like a waiver guy on my roster the rest of the year, I’m going to have to use him as a bench guy or find a replacement. It’s hard for me to just drop after what we saw early in the year. I still want to believe.

Edited by hangin n wangin
On 7/7/2019 at 12:19 PM, Dr. Whom said:

I guess the pirates knew what they were doing

Tyler Glasnow would like a word with you! I suspect you're just joking but couldn't resist.

3 minutes ago, rando said:

Tyler Glasnow would like a word with you! I suspect you're just joking but couldn't resist.

Yeah Austin Meadows will be a stud for years to come.  Then add in Tyler Glasnow AND Shane Baz (he is moving up the top 100 prospect lists in a hurry) and no way will the Pirates ever live this trade down.

This is getting sad. His past month has been beyond putrid. From thinking you have a late draft steal playing like a first/second rounder to this. I guess the positive is that he’s hitting for average the past couple week, but not providing any counting stats. Hoping for a home run soon, but there is a good chance he will be on my bench when he does it.

Edited by hangin n wangin
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

He’s got a date with someone named Tom Eshelman today. If that doesn’t get him going, I don’t know what will.

They should go steady.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

This is getting sad. His past month has been beyond putrid. From thinking you have a late draft steal playing like a first/second rounder to this. I guess the positive is that he’s hitting for average the past couple week, but not providing any counting stats. Hoping for a home run soon, but there is a good chance he will be on my bench when he does it.

I am guessing he is on your bench today? He's on mine and he just hit his first HR since May 28th. Hopefully this means he is about to breakout again from the power and HOPEFULLY speed standpoint.....

26 minutes ago, AF25 said:

I am guessing he is on your bench today? He's on mine and he just hit his first HR since May 28th. Hopefully this means he is about to breakout again from the power and HOPEFULLY speed standpoint.....

He wasn’t. When I posted this I was assuming he wouldn’t hit a home run for another week or two lol. Hopefully he starts hitting again.