NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Austin Meadows 2019 Outlook

svdude

36 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Any reason to think his power will be effected?

Not that it matters...hell i'd settle for a singles hitter at this point

Thumb injuries can have an effect on power. This thumb injury doesn't seem serious but these things can linger. 

I'm cautiously optimistic he will resume his swatting 

PT with this Rays team, their philosophy, and talent laden roster will always be an issue.  They have a lot of good players with multi position and batter side versatility. They run a match up based operation from top to bottom.  Bullpen, starters (think openers), and in the lineup.  So yes PT is a question worth asking.  That being said, the better players will play the most & Meadows is one of their better players, who's also on the plus side of the platoon match up.

FWIW I personally am trying, passively, to trade him. I love his profile and think he could continue to be a fantasy monster, but if you're flush at OF there are some potential issues with playing time and lingering effects from a thumb injury that could affect him going forward. I'm not selling low or desperately sending out offers by any means and I won't be bummed if nothing materializes though. 

Meadows was crushing lefties before the injury. I don't see them platooning him much at all. Maybe occasional day off but that's about it. It's not like the Rays boast a deep OF of right handed platoon bats. Garcia will most likely go back to DH. The only other right handed OF bat they currently have is Heredia and he's been absolutely awful. Lowe and Choi are the guaranteed sits versus lefties in that lineup. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Meadows was crushing lefties before the injury. I don't see them platooning him much at all. Maybe occasional day off but that's about it. It's not like the Rays boast a deep OF of right handed platoon bats. Garcia will most likely go back to DH. The only other right handed OF bat they currently have is Heredia and he's been absolutely awful. Lowe and Choi are the guaranteed sits versus lefties in that lineup

Meadows wont sit much vs Lefties i agree and Lowe will DH or play 1B vs lefties once Meadows is back, its when wendle is back Lowe may sit more if he doesnt heat up but Brandon Lowe and Wendle are Lefties as well and hit lefties worse than Lowe if my memory serves so even then i could see one of those sitting instead of nate lowe vs LHP

Well that was a great welcome back by Meadows. Was lucky enough to catch the homerun on MLB.tv. Looks like he didn’t skip a beat.  It’ll be interesting to see if they give him everyday at bats, but unless he slumps, I can’t see how they could take his bat out of the lineup. 

5 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Well that was a great welcome back by Meadows. Was lucky enough to catch the homerun on MLB.tv. Looks like he didn’t skip a beat.  It’ll be interesting to see if they give him everyday at bats, but unless he slumps, I can’t see how they could take his bat out of the lineup. 

If he doesn't get everyday ABS the manager should be fired instantly. This is Mookie Betts type breakout!

9 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

He was the every day RF before he got injured.  Why wouldn't he play every day since he did before the injury?  Maybe he didn't a few games the first week or so but he has played full time for a long time now.

46 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He was the every day RF before he got injured.  Why wouldn't he play every day since he did before the injury?  Maybe he didn't a few games the first week or so but he has played full time for a long time now.

He was first the most part an every day guy. Even a few games before he got injured they did sit him against a lefty though.

16 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He was first the most part an every day guy. Even a few games before he got injured they did sit him against a lefty though.

Not sure what you are getting at.  Every player takes the occasional rest day.

Edited by El_Chingon

3 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Not sure what you are getting at.  Every player takes the occasional rest day.

Lol I’m just saying he was given days off against some lefties. I’m not “getting at” anything. I own Meadows and love the kid. I’m literally just saying he was given days off against some lefties. And it was more than the occasional rest day a Paul Goldschmidt or Charlie Blackmon would get. I’m not knocking him or anything. Please don’t get offended like everyone else in this world.

5 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Huh?  Why would they?

Because they have sat him against some lefties lol and they have depth. Maybe they want to ease him back. Also, they’re the Rays. They do weird s--- sometimes. We all want him in the line up every day but these are valid questions based on how the Rays were using him. Either way, he’s a stud regardless.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Because they have sat him against some lefties lol and they have depth. Maybe they want to ease him back. Also, they’re the Rays. They do weird s--- sometimes. We all want him in the line up every day but these are valid questions based on how the Rays were using him. Either way, he’s a stud regardless.

I don't have his game log in front of me but I'm pretty sure they were not platooning him vs LHP.    Maybe you were confusing how he was used in Pittsburgh?

Just now, El_Chingon said:

I don't have his game log in front of me but I'm pretty sure they were not platooning him vs LHP.    Maybe you were confusing how he was used in Pittsburgh?

They were not platooning him. I never said they were. I said they sat him against SOME LEFTIES. He got more days off than the “occasional one” an every day player gets but more than a straight platoon guy. And no, I am 100 percent not confusing him with how he was used in Pittsburgh. Go back and look at the game logs and who the pitchers were.