NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

9 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

No way - he plays.

Scenario A - He gets traded - he plays (not looking very likely with deadline coming up on Tuesday and Bell would be crazy to give the Steelers that leverage after holding out and missing out on so much money already)

Scenario B - He stays and forms some sort of committee with Conner - he plays.

There is the illogical scenario C where the Steelers just pay Bell his franchise tag money and sit him throughout the entire rest of the season out of spite (which actually works in Bell's favor here since he'll get to rest, not prove anything, and get paid). Its just not happening.

No matter how you play it, the man is going to have to step on the field at some point or another, most likely  either as the leader of a commitee or 50/50 ish split with Conner.

There might be another scenario D where he Bell sits because of minor injuries every week that won't let him play. 

He would be FA after the season and lower the risk of an Earl-Thomas-like injury.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

No way - he plays.

Scenario A - He gets traded - he plays (not looking very likely with deadline coming up on Tuesday and Bell would be crazy to give the Steelers that leverage after holding out and missing out on so much money already)

Scenario B - He stays and forms some sort of committee with Conner - he plays.

There is the illogical scenario C where the Steelers just pay Bell his franchise tag money and sit him throughout the entire rest of the season out of spite (which actually works in Bell's favor here since he'll get to rest, not prove anything, and get paid). Its just not happening.

No matter how you play it, the man is going to have to step on the field at some point or another, most likely  either as the leader of a commitee or 50/50 ish split with Conner.

Sorry, this is wrong.  Bell v. Steelers has now devolved into all out war.  No way in the world are the Steelers going to give Bell the opportunity to showcase himself for the other 31 teams.  By offering him zero pay during the exemption period, the Steelers have slapped Bell in the face.  The man has some pride.  No way he comes in and begs for the rest of his money under these circumstances.  But even if he did report, the Steelers will be looking for ways to keep from paying him.  They can invalidate the guaranteed salary under the tag if they deem Bell to be in less than tip-top condition.  The Steelers have used every tool in their tool chest to keep Bell away from the team so far, save rescinding the tag.  They have a few arrows left in their quiver, and They have shown they will use them.

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I don't think Bell's bitter. He's doing exactly what he wants. Whether he gets the roster exemption pay or not, he's coming back to accrue credit for the season. And once he comes back the Steelers will utilize him if he can help them, regardless of how much of a bad taste this situation has left in their mouth. I know this isn't the ideal outcome for Conner owners but it is the most likely. 

And he'll have a huge chip on his shoulder to prove himself... plus a future contract to validate with high-end results over the second half of the season. He is without a doubt going to come in there full steam running. 

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sorry, this is wrong.  Bell v. Steelers has now devolved into all out war.  No way in the world are the Steelers going to give Bell the opportunity to showcase himself for the other 31 teams.  By offering him zero pay during the exemption period, the Steelers have slapped Bell in the face.  The man has some pride.  No way he comes in and begs for the rest of his money under these circumstances.  But even if he did report, the Steelers will be looking for ways to keep from paying him.  They can invalidate the guaranteed salary under the tag if the deem Bell to be in less than tip-top condition.  The Steelers have used every tool in their tool chest to keep Bell away from the team so far, save rescinding the tag.  They have a few arrows left in their quiver, and They have shown they will use them.

You're grasping so hard. I own Conner too but come on, Bell is going to report and collect his game money and accrued season eventually. You think he's going to give up all that because of "pride"? :lol:

1 minute ago, uberblitz said:

There might be another scenario D where he Bell sits because of minor injuries every week that won't let him play. 

He would be FA after the season and lower the risk of an Earl-Thomas-like injury.

Do you really think the Steelers would put themselves in position to allow Bell to do this to them?  You don't understand the Steelers very well.  Their only way to control Bell completely is to insure that he never dresses for a game here in 2018.

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sorry, this is wrong.  Bell v. Steelers has now devolved into all out war.  No way in the world are the Steelers going to give Bell the opportunity to showcase himself for the other 31 teams.  By offering him zero pay during the exemption period, the Steelers have slapped Bell in the face.  The man has some pride.  No way he comes in and begs for the rest of his money under these circumstances.  But even if he did report, the Steelers will be looking for ways to keep from paying him.  They can invalidate the guaranteed salary under the tag if they deem Bell to be in less than tip-top condition.  The Steelers have used every tool in their tool chest to keep Bell away from the team so far, save rescinding the tag.  They have a few arrows left in their quiver, and They have shown they will use them.

Okay so let's say they use their roster exemption - that's two weeks without pay worst-case scenario. 

Bell essentially has no choice but to bite the bullet since he still needs to accrue a season in order to achieve his ultimate goal - get a contract in free agency. Sure he can hold out half a season and lose over half of the 14.5 million or whatever he was owed under the franchise tag. But there is no way he surrenders the entirety of that + the ability to negotiate a long-term contract with another team as soon as he can when the free agency period begins. 

At that point, the Steelers are going to use him. It arguably plays more into Bell's hand (psychologically speaking) if they just rested him and gave his money. They're going to make him earn every last penny in that case.  

Anyways my guess is Conner owners will be happy campers up until at least week 12.

17 minutes ago, owenmills said:

You're grasping so hard. I own Conner too but come on, Bell is going to report and collect his game money and accrued season eventually. You think he's going to give up all that because of "pride"? :lol:

Yeah man he’s reaching over their. We all want Conner for the rest of the season too.

17 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

i agree with most of this ... and, plz reference the piece i linked to earlier today in this thread about Bakari (Bell's agent) ... he's playing psuedo-racial politics here, and he is fighting this battle on a socio-economic front, the deep seeded likes of which the league has yet to see, as far as contract negotions are concerned. 

there is a lot more here than meets the eye ... this is not your garden variety ducats squabble, folks. 

I see a Jimmy Butler type situation brewing here. Doubt the Steelers let him near the team. He will probably sign the day after the trade deadline, they will then stiff him on the roster exemption. Steelers will happily pay him the remaining $4-5mil or so to stay away. He walks in FA next year, Steelers scoop a nice compensatory pick in the process. 

I don't see any way Bell plays football this year without the big $ contract, which clearly is not an option. He was willing to throw $10mil away, whats another 5? His chances for injury are the same on his 1st touch as they are on his 400th. Except now he isn't risking his future earning potential for $15mil, he would be risking it for around $5mil. No one would paint themselves into that corner.

What an ugly situation.

3 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Serious question. Has anybody heard, read or seen any reports in regards to Bell’s conditioning/training? If there’s been updates my bad for missing it. 

None that I've seen and I track this thread daily.

1 hour ago, uberblitz said:

I think there's a scenario E also...where they go 80/20 or 90/10 Bell/Conner and run his a$$ into the ground this year, keeping wear-and-tear off of Conner for when/if Bell breaks down and/or next year.

7 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Serious question. Has anybody heard, read or seen any reports in regards to Bell’s conditioning/training? If there’s been updates my bad for missing it. 

HE says he's in football shape and ready to go.  I doubt that's true...unless muscling a jet ski through the South Florida waves qualifies as "football" shape.

He did take up boxing though...I believe he's in good condition, I don't believe he's in football shape.

This thread is truly becoming un-readable because of the "NFL GM's" in here. None of you know what the Steelers are going to do once Bell comes back, so stop trying to act smart by pretending you do.

Instead, how about we wait until Bell signs his franchise tag, and see what happens from there. Stop with the bull**** speculation. It serves zero purpose at this point.

1 minute ago, datsyuk said:

This thread is truly becoming un-readable because of the "NFL GM's" in here. None of you know what the Steelers are going to do once Bell comes back, so stop trying to act smart by pretending you do.

Instead, how about we wait until Bell signs his franchise tag, and see what happens from there. Stop with the bull**** speculation. It serves zero purpose at this point.

You're right...we have no idea...which is why we're totally guessing how he'll be utilized...I think we're up to Scenario E.  Seems appropriate to discuss our take on how he might be used once he signs...and when he'll sign.  At this point, what else is there to discuss about Bell...where he'll be next year?  My guess...Raiders.

1 minute ago, Damn Yankee said:

HE says he's in football shape and ready to go.  I doubt that's true...unless muscling a jet ski through the South Florida waves qualifies as "football" shape.

He did take up boxing though...I believe he's in good condition, I don't believe he's in football shape.

Yep and there’s levels to football shape too. And ain’t no way he’s in game shape without actually having played a game or two after an extended hiatus. 

Anyways, soooo there hasn’t been any reports just as I assumed. Bell might wanna think about getting a new Agent. If I was his Agent I’d be throwing out all kinds of hype, rumors  and leaking stories about how amazing of shape he’s in and how he’s ready to go even if they’re lies. Gotta keep that value up someway somehow if you’re not on the field producing. 

44 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

I said that about 50 pages ago 

48 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Yep and there’s levels to football shape too. And ain’t no way he’s in game shape without actually having played a game or two after an extended hiatus. 

Anyways, soooo there hasn’t been any reports just as I assumed. Bell might wanna think about getting a new Agent. If I was his Agent I’d be throwing out all kinds of hype, rumors  and leaking stories about how amazing of shape he’s in and how he’s ready to go even if they’re lies. Gotta keep that value up someway somehow if you’re not on the field producing. 

game shape is a bunch of baloney.

if LeVeon is undergoing a workout regime that includes various types of training he can step right on the football field and perform. 

27 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

game shape is a bunch of baloney.

if LeVeon is undergoing a workout regime that includes various types of training he can step right on the football field and perform. 

So just various types of training?

You do not see any advantages to simulating live football, full pads and all? 

2 hours ago, owenmills said:

I don't think Bell's bitter. He's doing exactly what he wants. Whether he gets the roster exemption pay or not, he's coming back to accrue credit for the season. And once he comes back the Steelers will utilize him if he can help them, regardless of how much of a bad taste this situation has left in their mouth. I know this isn't the ideal outcome for Conner owners but it is the most likely. 

I think he's bitter. If he really wants to play this year, and show that he's still "got it", and if he ever wants to be a Steeler again [as he says he does], he'd come back despite not getting paid during the roster exemption.

Truth is, he'll need those two weeks to not only get into football shape, but to get on the same page as his teammates as well as to smooth over all the hurt feelings and bad blood in the locker room. Showing his teammates that he's willing to come back despite not getting paid, for the good of them and the team, would go a long way.

Remember, he has three scenarios [since he's unlikely to return before the trade deadline] if the Steelers refuse to pay him during the exemption.

1) Return Oct 31. They'll keep him inactive and unpaid during the exemption, but then he'll have weeks 11-17. He'd earn just shy of $6M during that time.

2) Return Nov 13. Assuming he remains inactive and unpaid during the exemption, he'll have weeks 13-17. He'd earn about $4.25M during that time, whether he plays or not.

3) Not return at all, and play chicken with the Steelers next season over the roster exemption.

Unless he comes back Oct 31, I'm going to say he's bitter.

1 hour ago, Damn Yankee said:

The jet ski had no engine...that was him making it move

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I honestly believe that's a step they won't take. It may be all-out war, but I think they'd rather just quietly make him inactive and keep him away from the team and facilities, and pay him, rather than let this become a legal battle and even more of a media circus than it is. 

The minute they try to pull something like this is the minute that Bell starts showing off workout videos with him ripped and blasting them in the court of public opinion. 

Is there any other thread on this board that is dominated by owners of another player trying to persuade readers that the subject of the thread isn't going to play? Just curious. It's weird. I come here to see if there's any news about Bell or ideas about how to approach him on one's roster, and it's mainly constant arguments to the effect that Bell owners are screwed because he's not gonna report/be activated/play, and how we should just give up and try again next year. Seriously, what the hell? There's a Conner thread, you know.

Archived