Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook


afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Mr Boo said:

Isn't there a chance that he signs but he doesn't end up playing at all?  Everyone is assuming here (and I can understand) that signing == playing.  But can the Steelers choose to not run him at all (put on the PUP and avoid any potential morale headaches)(perhaps it's too much $$$ to not play him).  Conversely, can Bell sign and simply refuse to play (i.e., fake an injury or something).  I'm just curious about the all the outcomes and I'm not insinuating one over another..

 

The Steelers can choose not to play him, and keep him inactive. But once they roster exemption passes, they have to pay him for those weeks**. So even if they inactivate him, he'd still get paid for 5-7 game checks depending how long he waits to report. 

 

He can't really come in and refuse to play. If he does, the Steelers would be able to not pay him. I forget what it's called, but essentially there's a category for inactive/left the team. He could feasibly "fake an injury", and find a way to keep himself out of games, but that's a tough game to play. I'm not sure how it would work if it came down to a dispute between him and the Steelers over whether an injury was legitimate.

 

That said, I think a likely outcome is that the Steelers hold him away, pay him what he's owed, and send him off into the sunset post-season. If Bell drags this all the way out until Nov 13, I have to think that his teammates would have a difficult time welcoming him back, and it could very well cause morale issues.

 

**Note: they have to pay him unless he shows up so out of shape that he can't perform. If that were the case--and it has to be determined by a neutral third-party, not the team physician or subjectively by the coaches--they can keep him away without paying him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Isn't there a chance that he signs but he doesn't end up playing at all?  Everyone is assuming here (and I can understand) that signing == playing.  But can the Steelers choose to not run him at all (put on the PUP and avoid any potential morale headaches)(perhaps it's too much $$$ to not play him).  Conversely, can Bell sign and simply refuse to play (i.e., fake an injury or something).  I'm just curious about the all the outcomes and I'm not insinuating one over another..

Once Bell signs the tag, the Steelers own him.  He would have to practice and play his hardest, or the team could fine him, discipline him, or even suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team.

 

It is also completely up to the Steelers whether Bell play or not.  They can just keep him inactive on game days for any reason or no reason at all.

 

Perhaps Bell is worried that, if he signs, the Steelers will roster exempt with without pay for two weeks, then after that pay him but keep him inactive, leaking stories to the media that Bell is still out of shape to keep the fan base and Bell's many ferverant supporters somewhat mollified.

 

Under that scenario, how does it help Bell land that big deal in free agency next season?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Bell’s season is over before it started. 

 

We are beating that dead horse. 

 

Conner is the man in Pittsburgh. 

 

It is time to admit that. 

Barring injury or a sudden Collinsian display of fumbling from Conner, I think you are correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Once Bell signs the tag, the Steelers own him.  He would have to practice and play his hardest, or the team could fine him, discipline him, or even suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team.

 

It is also completely up to the Steelers whether Bell play or not.  They can just keep him inactive on game days for any reason or no reason at all.

 

Perhaps Bell is worried that, if he signs, the Steelers will roster exempt with without pay for two weeks, then after that pay him but keep him inactive, leaking stories to the media that Bell is still out of shape to keep the fan base and Bell's many ferverant supporters somewhat mollified.

 

Under that scenario, how does it help Bell land that big deal in free agency next season?

 

Man, you have thrown around some wild, wild ideas in this thread and the Conner thread. At this point nobody knows what will happen, but I would bet a lot the bolded won't happen(Steelers leaking stories to trash him). If he reports things get interesting, because the Steelers are in it to win a SB and if Bell can help them they won't make him inactive every week with pay just out of spite.

 

Bell has a couple weeks to make his move. Maybe he sits all year now. There's millions of reasons he might decide to report. Plus, I don't know how great of a strategy it is sitting the entire year. If he manages to hit free agency in 2019 teams won't have seen him on a football field for over a year, but maybe he is betting it won't matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Man, you have thrown around some wild, wild ideas in this thread and the Conner thread. At this point nobody knows what will happen, but I would bet a lot the bolded won't happen(Steelers leaking stories to trash him). If he reports things get interesting, because the Steelers are in it to win a SB and if Bell can help them they won't make him inactive every week with pay just out of spite.

 

Bell has a couple weeks to make his move. Maybe he sits all year now. There's millions of reasons he might decide to report. Plus, I don't know how great of a strategy it is sitting the entire year. If he manages to hit free agency in 2019 teams won't have seen him on a football field for over a year, but maybe he is betting it won't matter. 

Your scenario that the Steelers will welcome Bell back now after all this, then provide him a showcase for the other 31 NFL teams for next season's free agency, strikes me as the wildest of them all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Your scenario that the Steelers will welcome Bell back now after all this, then provide him a showcase for the other 31 NFL teams for next season's free agency, strikes me as the wildest of them all.

 

Where did I say "showcase" son? Isn't that strawman at it's finest. Try to be easier to converse with. You really think it's wild thinking the Steelers might try to utilize him in some capacity to win a SB, if he decides to report? I question your understanding of football then, or you just allow your fantasy football rosters to have incredible bias in your posts. We'll see what happens if he shows up

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Where did I say "showcase" son? Isn't that strawman at it's finest. Try to be easier to converse with. You really think it's wild thinking the Steelers might try to utilize him in some capacity to win a SB, if he decides to report? I question your understanding of football then, or you just allow your fantasy football rosters to have incredible bias in your posts. We'll see what happens if he shows up

Okay, fair.  You said the Steelers might let Bell be active on game day, and I took it a step further and called that a showcase.  Your objection is reasonable and noted.

 

But that said, any chance to have the football in his hands is at least a chance to make a big play.  So it is at least a platform.

 

The Steelers may have to weigh out whether Bell's potential (modest?) contribution could be more helpful than the likely distraction and locker-room discord of letting him back.

 

And I 100% believe the Steelers would possibly bench Bell out of spite.  This process has gotten REAL ugly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Steelers may have to weigh out whether Bell's potential (modest?) contribution could be more helpful than the likely distraction and locker-room discord of letting him back.

How about this scenario: Bell comes back and rounds into form in a few weeks. Then, he's a better back than James Conner, like he's always been, so they decide to ride Bell to try to win a Super Bowl while at the same time preserving their future #1 back in James Conner.

This seems like a rare win/win/win for everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

Where did I say "showcase" son? Isn't that strawman at it's finest. Try to be easier to converse with. You really think it's wild thinking the Steelers might try to utilize him in some capacity to win a SB, if he decides to report? I question your understanding of football then, or you just allow your fantasy football rosters to have incredible bias in your posts. We'll see what happens if he shows up

 

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Okay, fair.  You said the Steelers might let Bell be active on game day, and I took it a step further and called that a showcase.  Your objection is reasonable and noted.

 

But that said, any chance to have the football in his hands is at least a chance to make a big play.  So it is at least a platform.

 

The Steelers may have to weigh out whether Bell's potential (modest?) contribution could be more helpful than the likely distraction and locker-room discord of letting him back.

 

And I 100% believe the Steelers would possibly bench Bell out of spite.  This process has gotten REAL ugly.

 

Exactly. All the people who predicted weeks ago that Bell would be the bellcow once he returns are the delusional ones. There's no way the Steelers are just going to let him waltz in, take 90% of the workload, and showcase himself for all the teams that want him in FA.

 

That said, I'm not 100% convinced--although I think it's certainly a strong possibility--that the Steelers would just shelve him and keep him away from the team to preserve the locker room. 

 

It's possible the team wants him back. And having two great RBs is better than having one. They have SB aspirations, and if they can manage the locker room, their SB hopes are better with Bell+Conner rather than just Conner.

 

So I could see them working him into a rotation with Conner. Which is the nightmare scenario for all Bell and Conner owners, and even those who own both. They can both run and catch, so they wouldn't be used situationally. But I could see the Steelers working them both in, alternating series, to keep them both fresh for 4 quarters. 

 

Nothing is 100% known here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

How about this scenario: Bell comes back and rounds into form in a few weeks. Then, he's a better back than James Conner, like he's always been, so they decide to ride Bell to try to win a Super Bowl while at the same time preserving their future #1 back in James Conner.

This seems like a rare win/win/win for everyone.

 

I don't think they make Bell a bellcow. Conner has proven his value, and as stated, he can run and catch so he's not shoehorned into telegraphing the offense based on being on the field.

 

I also think that given that Conner has gotten them here, and CLEARLY has the respect and backing of his teammates, that they're going to turn over 90% of the backfield touches to a guy who's been partying in South Beach for the last 9 weeks. 

 

I'm not going to go so far and predict as if it's clear that they'd just inactivate him out of spite. But I don't think the team will respond well to them essentially kicking Conner to the curb and giving Bell the entire job.

 

Best case for Bell is RBBC. Which is worst-case for fantasy owners of either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers fan here and conner owner. If the steelers and this clown that pretends to be a head coach have any chance of getting near a sb, then they need bell and they need him in good shape asap.

Defense is straight up trash, I had a hope they would make a move on Peterson but apparently they re good with burns. So unless the offense gets all the help it can get by utilising their best players, meaning both Bell and conner, then steelers are gonna lose another year of their (closing) sb window. 

It's not good for fantasy owners of both but that's what needs to happen. 

To think that they're gonna sit bell out deliberately out of spite (it's not like they were paying him to sit) or that bells chooses to sit out is absurd.

Of course though with tomlin being tomlin and the circus in the locker room anything is possible. 

 

Anyway my two cents as a steelers fan is I think it's gonna be rbbc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

So week 10. After that I can be free from this clown 

what are you going to do to free yourself from him? Confused why you would then be forced to do something on your fantasy team then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

They already got the 2 week roster exemption. Reports before week 11. It'll be week 13 at earliest.

 

Bell is a hail mary fantasy playoff lotto ticket at best this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...