NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

46 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Safe to drop in redraft...Or is everyone waiting until the 13th hard deadline?

I think you kind of have to wait until the 13th or try to dump him for something you can use if you need help right away. A team's that stacked may give up someone useful that's on their bench. Anyhow, all in all, i don't see him coming back this year. This dummy's plan blew up in his face with the net results being: (1) Losing out on a $15M payday (2) Unprecedented PR Hit that's going to make him hated pretty much everywhere except whatever team he signs with (3) Severely diminished value. #2 Will also diminish his future earnings because nobody will want him as an analyst or anything like that. Goodwill does have a monetary value post retirement.  

I predict he doesn't make anywhere close to $15M in any year he plays from here on out and he may be stubborn enough to not play again if he doesn't get a contract that pays him what he wants. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, munygon2 said:

Safe to drop in redraft...Or is everyone waiting until the 13th hard deadline?

Wait. Just as the Steelers won't rescind the tag and watch him go to a conference rival, you can't afford to drop him and have him show up [and play] for one of your league's playoff/championship contenders. 

While he may have no value for him, you can't afford for him to end up having value for someone else in your league. I'll bet the 7-1 team in the league might drop some bench fodder in order for the lotto ticket that Bell comes back and [perhaps due to Conner injury] just kills it in the fantasy playoffs.

So you have two options:

1) Hold through Nov 13th. 

2) Trade him to one of the non-contenders in your league. Lowball it if you have to, i.e. if the non-contender has a top 3 defense or kicker, sell Bell for that. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it might be all you can get. And isn't that better than dropping Bell and seeing him end up killing it on one of the top teams in your league?

Just now, Under500Forever said:

RW blurbs suck but their last bell blurb was interesting.  maybe Bell and the Steelers have a wink wink deal that if he stays away the rest of the year they won’t tag him next year. 

I’m not saying one way or the other but is this possible?

No, stop it

5 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

RW blurbs suck but their last bell blurb was interesting.  maybe Bell and the Steelers have a wink wink deal that if he stays away the rest of the year they won’t tag him next year. 

Its starting to look like this...

4 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

No, stop it

Still a no show. What’s he waiting for at this point? 

I know Bell owners are holding out hope but he has missed a few potential return dates. 

Bye week 

trade deadline 

He’s running out of time because he has to show up by week 11 right? 

Just now, bwarbiany said:

Wait. Just as the Steelers won't rescind the tag and watch him go to a conference rival, you can't afford to drop him and have him show up [and play] for one of your league's playoff/championship contenders. 

While he may have no value for him, you can't afford for him to end up having value for someone else in your league. I'll bet the 7-1 team in the league might drop some bench fodder in order for the lotto ticket that Bell comes back and [perhaps due to Conner injury] just kills it in the fantasy playoffs.

So you have two options:

1) Hold through Nov 13th. 

2) Trade him to one of the non-contenders in your league. Lowball it if you have to, i.e. if the non-contender has a top 3 defense or kicker, sell Bell for that. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it might be all you can get. And isn't that better than dropping Bell and seeing him end up killing it on one of the top teams in your league?

Who knows how much playing time Bell is gonna get if he shows up, or how long it'll take him to be useful? He's only of use to me if he can put up top-15 RB numbers given my other backs, and if he does a timeshare with Conner, that isn't super likely. Like you say, I just don't want him showing up in the playoffs as a starter for an opponent. But he's more likely at this point to be useless through at least week 13, and his playoff matchups would be Patriots and Saints (who are decent against the run). I think I'm gonna cut bait and offer him to a 1-7 team in my league for one of the top defenses (Chicago), or maybe just a piece of fodder so I can use the bench space and pick up Courtland Sutton (or just have a bye week add spot so I don't have to drop Legatron). Plus, I don't face that team again. 

6 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I can't get on board with this. Why would they even tag him next year with the way Conner has looked? They obviously don't need Bell anymore and he has to know that they likely will not sign him next year regardless. If he was smart he would show up the last day possible just to get paid. 

My guess is Bell is going to eventually show up whether us Conner owners like it or not. What happens after is a toss up. 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Makes a ton of sense. They don’t pay him he gets no wear and tear

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Its starting to look like this...

Thats what I’m saying. They both get what they want. 

Bell doesn’t wants to stay healthy and the Steelers probably don’t want him back at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Very possible.   Save the team cash and we won’t try and hold you hostage in FA.   Gives bell all offseason to get shredded.  Some bad team will sign him for big money. 

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

I can't get on board with this. Why would they even tag him next year with the way Conner has looked? They obviously don't need Bell anymore and he has to know that they likely will not sign him next year regardless. If he was smart he would show up the last day possible just to get paid. 

My guess is Bell is going to eventually show up whether us Conner owners like it or not. What happens after is a toss up. 

This does make sense. I just don’t know what to make of this situation anymore. 

2 hours ago, oresteszero said:

I love all the expert FF critics in this thread, acting like they are Bell's agent and know the exact game script for the ROS for Bell. Grow up. The stats don't lie, they don't NEED Bell... they couldn't care less if he comes back this year or not, and that is known from the attitude of the Steelers mgmt and coaches. Conner is making peanuts compared to Bell and putting up better numbers, that's just the reality of it.

I miss seeing Bell play just like the rest of us, but the odds of him playing this year are slim to none. Everyone is living in fairy-tale land

There is no football experts in this thread. It’s a bunch of blowhards. How the F do you Keon what management or coaches are thinking in regards to LeVeon? You are 100% correct on only one thing the amount of money each players paycheck. 

I haven’t seen one post where anybody who actually wrote when LeVeon was going to report.

It’s all speculation hoping he reports and then spewing what is might or should happen when he reports. We here on RW have no clue. 

I believe LeVeon will not play in 2018 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

Still a no show. What’s he waiting for at this point? 

I know Bell owners are holding out hope but he has missed a few potential return dates. 

Bye week 

trade deadline 

He’s running out of time because he has to show up by week 11 right? 

By Nov. 13th but I’m with the masses. I actually somewhat thought he would’ve showed up today after the trade deadline ended and I guess today isn’t over but we’ll see. I strongly believe there is no behind the scene secret plan going on. I don’t trust RW blurbs at all and especially don’t use Ian Rappaport as a viable source for anything related to stories like these.

Remember, at least one source is claiming [based on actually, you know, reading the CBA] that if Bell doesn't play, the Steelers would STILL incur a QB-salary tag if they tried to give him another exclusive:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/17/17984660/the-leveon-bell-saga-separating-fact-from-fiction-news-rumors-holdout-franchise-tag-nfl-update

If that's true, and if Bell's agent has received corroboration from either the NFL or the NFLPA, there would be no need for a wink/nod agreement.

Plus, given how much of a nightmare this has been for the Steelers, I don't think it's in their interest to give him the exclusive again even at the $14.5M number unless they can make it a sign&trade to a team who will give Bell the long-term deal he wants. 

1 minute ago, Shortnphat said:

By Nov. 13th but I’m with the masses. I actually somewhat thought he would’ve showed up today after the trade deadline ended and I guess today isn’t over but we’ll see. I strongly believe there is no behind the scene secret plan going on. I don’t trust RW blurbs at all and especially don’t use Ian Rappaport as a viable source for anything related to stories like these.

No more laughing faces on posts dismissing Bell this season?   

Sucks to be wrong Phatty :P

15 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I think this idea could actually work

1 minute ago, bwarbiany said:

Remember, at least one source is claiming [based on actually, you know, reading the CBA] that if Bell doesn't play, the Steelers would STILL incur a QB-salary tag if they tried to give him another exclusive:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/17/17984660/the-leveon-bell-saga-separating-fact-from-fiction-news-rumors-holdout-franchise-tag-nfl-update

If that's true, and if Bell's agent has received corroboration from either the NFL or the NFLPA, there would be no need for a wink/nod agreement.

Plus, given how much of a nightmare this has been for the Steelers, I don't think it's in their interest to give him the exclusive again even at the $14.5M number unless they can make it a sign&trade to a team who will give Bell the long-term deal he wants. 

What do u mean qb salary tag?   You mean the 3rd tag 144% bump? 

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

What do u mean qb salary tag?   You mean the 3rd tag 144% bump? 

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I think this idea could actually work

6 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Read

12 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

The Steelers will NOT in any way, shape, or form try to get LeVeon to stick around next season. You know that, I know that, Steelers fans know that, so Bell must know that. Why would he take any sort of "we won't tag you next year" deal when there is a 0% chance that they would. 

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Read

The Steelers will NOT in any way, shape, or form try to get LeVeon to stick around next season. You know that, I know that, Steelers fans know that, so Bell must know that. Why would he take any sort of "we won't tag you next year" deal when there is a 0% chance that they would. 

Because it’s in his best interests maybe?  Not really a “deal” as much as an agreement to not cause the other any more harm.  That’s all this charade has done. 

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Because it’s in his best interests maybe?  Not really a “deal” as much as an agreement to not cause the other any more harm.  That’s all this charade has done. 

It's not in his best interest though. His best interest is to show up, get paid, and likely be used as a COP for Conner, who I believe has locked up this backfield. He gets his minimal use but also paid. 

It's not in his best interest though. His best interest is to show up, get paid, and likely be used as a COP for Conner, who I believe has locked up this backfield. He gets his minimal use but also paid. 

Sure about that?  

What if he’s not in top shape(likely)

what if Conner outplays him (system back)

what if he gets injured seriously after not playing so long

i actually think sitting out all year and releasing workout videos will have a few teams salivating over the potential. 

I believe This would be the best interest for LeVeon. Moolah 

so if LeVeon comes back by a certain date does he get paid the full amount ? Or a prorated amount

Archived