NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

I believe This would be the best interest for LeVeon. Moolah 

so if LeVeon comes back by a certain date does he get paid the full amount ? Or a prorated amount

Believe it would be prorated. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Le'Veon saw that happened to Earl Thomas. 

I doubt he has any intention of letting that happen to him. 

At this point, if he has been willing to sacrifice 9 weeks of the season, it appears as if he is willing to go the distance. 

1 minute ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Then they would have just traded him for something.

They can’t trade him without bells permission.  Nor were they guaranteed to get better than the 3rd round comp pick.   A trade never made sense- just a rental 

1 minute ago, TheDoctor said:

Believe it would be prorated. 

Yes of course.  It’s by the game.  Steelers will likely put him on a 2 week unpaid roster exemption anyway.   None of this is any good for Bell other than money.    Which he has repeatedly stated won’t sway him if it’s not long term. 

I'm pretty sure that the whole idea from the get-go was that he was going to come back by week 11 so he gets an accrued season and doesn't take nearly as much wear and tear on his body. Pretty sure this is what his agent came out and said.

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Sure about that?  

What if he’s not in top shape(likely)

what if Conner outplays him (system back)

what if he gets injured seriously after not playing so long

i actually think sitting out all year and releasing workout videos will have a few teams salivating over the potential. 

Nobody is sure about anything here, no matter how hard they posture.

IMO he'd be better off getting something on tape in 2018. That is assuming it's good tape so he should show up in shape and serious. I have a hard time believing he'll get his big deal in 2019, if teams haven't seen him play in over a year. I think he'll be looking at deals similar to what Pittsburgh originally offered, with low guaranteed money. Either way, it's good theater watching it play out. 

2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Nobody is sure about anything here, no matter how hard they posture.

IMO he'd be better off getting something on tape in 2018. That is assuming it's good tape so he should show up in shape and serious. I have a hard time believing he'll get his big deal in 2019, if teams haven't seen him play in over a year. I think he'll be looking at deals similar to what Pittsburgh originally offered, with low guaranteed money. Either way, it's good theater watching it play out. 

Fair, but you’re underestimating what Bell means to a bad franchise.  He means jerseys, hotdogs, game tickets,  TV ratings, a boon for local bars and businesses...in a nutshell...he gives your fan base a reason to be excited.  

You come back and put some rusty stinkers on tape— you’re doing far more damage than sitting out and leaving some mystery for the right bidder to unlock.  

JMO of course.

45 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

What do u mean qb salary tag?   You mean the 3rd tag 144% bump? 

Nope.  3rd tag is 144% or QB tag, whichever is higher.  We've been over this...

27 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

I'm pretty sure that the whole idea from the get-go was that he was going to come back by week 11 so he gets an accrued season and doesn't take nearly as much wear and tear on his body. Pretty sure this is what his agent came out and said.

Pretty sure that was our speculation based on what turned out to be incorrect information.

Also, a lot has changed since then.  Bell and his agent obviously thought the Steelers would suffer without Bell, and beg for him to return.  It didn't quite work out that way.

48 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

What do u mean qb salary tag?   You mean the 3rd tag 144% bump? 

Third tag is average of top 5 salaries at the highest paid position, or 144% of his previous salary, whichever is greater

So even if the Steelers were able to successfully argue that it should be 144% of his 2017 salary of $12.1M if he didn't play in 2018, *OR* if it's based on the 2018 salary cap impact of $14.5M [which I think is the case after reading the CBA], either one would be lower than the average of the top 5 QB's, which is $23.2M in 2018 and will likely be a bit higher in 2019.

10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Pretty sure that was our speculation based on what turned out to be incorrect information.

Also, a lot has changed since then.  Bell and his agent obviously thought the Steelers would suffer without Bell, and beg for him to return.  It didn't quite work out that way.

When was it ever said that Bell and his agent thought the Steelers would suffer without him? You are clearly making this up without any facts to back it up.

What has happened actually though, is that Bell himself has said he wants to return to the team when he's ready, and when he does return, he is going to give it his all. He also said he only wants to play for the Steelers. 

6 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

When was it ever said that Bell and his agent thought the Steelers would suffer without him? You are clearly making this up without any facts to back it up.

What has happened actually though, is that Bell himself has said he wants to return to the team when he's ready, and when he does return, he is going to give it his all. He also said he only wants to play for the Steelers. 

When did Bell or his agent they would return week 10/11?   Maybe I missed it amongst the cryptic tweets and misleading reports spreading favorable narratives.    

Interesting point one of you brought up. If I'm Leveon, which I'm not, but if I was, my top priority is to secure that lucrative deal. I KNOW other teams are interested in me which gets me excited. All I have to do is make it to the offseason healthy. Now, imagine me coming back and getting used to the ground. Now imagine me tearing an ACL. Nobody believes in the recovery of a 27 yer old enough to pay top dollar. All the money I lost as for NOTHING. Why would I play? I wouldn't. I would sit the whole year out. 

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Interesting point one of you brought up. If I'm Leveon, which I'm not, but if I was, my top priority is to secure that lucrative deal. I KNOW other teams are interested in me which gets me excited. All I have to do is make it to the offseason healthy. Now, imagine me coming back and getting used to the ground. Now imagine me tearing an ACL. Nobody believes in the recovery of a 27 yer old enough to pay top dollar. All the money I lost as for NOTHING. Why would I play? I wouldn't. I would sit the whole year out. 

of course you would since youre a conner owner

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

When did Bell or his agent they would return week 10/11?   Maybe I missed it amongst the cryptic tweets and misleading reports spreading favorable narratives.    

This is one such report suggesting that.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/09/05/leveon-bell-agent-comments-suggest-he-could-sit-until-week-10-so-steelers-do-not-overuse-him/

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

Come on seriously?  As if most people here don’t play multiple leagues.    Grow up 

1 minute ago, datsyuk said:

Again...inuendo and vagueness abound.  No clear date or promise- just another attempt to manipulate.    

Yup gotta agree with the O man. No way Steelers are giving Bell any tag next other than transistion to net draft pick comp.  No under the table funny stuff happens.

Its only really up to bell if he thinks its better for himself to show up, showcase himself a bit, grab the remaining money off the tag. Or just sit it out knowing they wont slap an exclusive tag on him again.

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

by virtue of missing half a year he has already avoided being run into the ground, it would be nearly impossible for that to happen unless they fed him the ball 40 times a game which sure as hell isn't going to happen even without Conner.  the issue now it seems has more to do with the fact that he got pissed off about PIT not paying him during his 2 week exemption. and he isn't there or wasn't traded because they couldn't work that out

6 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Why discredit his well thought out, non hostile opinion by saying something so dumb and confrontational?

There didn't seem to be any bias in his post. In fact, no one would've guessed who he had rostered unless you already knew. Seems to me like you're just trying to play the role of internet warrior and I feel it's important to call that out.

3 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

The headline says he could sit until week 10... The text says:

Bakari said he wouldn’t discuss the plan publicly, but asked Quinn how what his plan with Bell would be if he were in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ shoes. When Quinn responded that he would “use him as much as possible to make sure we have the best possible chance of winning the Super Bowl,” Bakari then responded to what Bell’s plan is with “you can read between those lines.”

When Quinn pressed him on whether this was for the season, or until Week 10, Bakari responded with “when we find out. I think Mike Tomlin said it best yesterday. He’ll get there when he’s there and we’ll address these issues when he arrives.”

Brady Quinn was the one who pressed him on whether it's "until week 10". Bakari didn't say anything, according to the text in the article, suggesting Bell would return at any particular time.

The best you can say is that Bakari's phrase is this: "we'll address these issues when he arrives", rather than if he arrives. If you take that literally, it would mean that he intended to come back at some point this season, which isn't an option after Nov 13. So if Bakari's statement from Sept 5 of "when" is taken perfectly literally, then he's coming back sometime in the next two weeks. 

But I'd argue that even if you take it perfectly literally, the statement is 2 months old and a LOT of things have happened since then... 

Archived