NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

All of what you just wrote is irrelevant to the point that  both parties made a choice within their rights and yet you claim one should be held accountable for the outcome and not the other.

Liking his choice is irrelevant to the facts of the situation. You are simply exhibiting irrational bias.

Again your process and conclusion is flawed.

Wrong, the Steelers seem to be doing just fine with Connor at the helm so I don't think they care where the blame falls (ethical or not).

On the other hand the jury is still out on whether or not this plays well for Bell, we shall see (my guess is not..).

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oliminator123 said:

Or he could, you know, take the million dollars he would have earned each game and not blow through it, considering what he makes in one game is more than most Americans make in their lifetime. 

So basically he should stfu, take the money and be grateful? 

After all Junior Seau was a great guy played the role  and is now enjoying all of the money he made in his career. . . .oh wait sec. . .is he?

On one hand people want those in high profile positions to 'stand for something' and when they do they get destroyed for it PR wise because the negative bias is they are ungrateful. NFL teams make billions squeezing the public in tax subsidized stadium deals, high ticket prices and over priced merch and when a player fights for his millions the player is the ingrate and should just play for what he is being paid because it's more than what the ag American makes? Do you apply the same logic to NFL owners, just be glad the city allows you to have a stadium there?

Come on now that's ridiculous  

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

What are his shennanigans?

He didn't sign an play under the tag.

Shenanigans would be signing to collect a check and then faking injury or dialing it in on the field and purposely underperforming in order to get benched or writing something on his shoes protesting the unfairness of his tag or criticizing his team daily on social media.

Can anyone provide a tweet or an IG rant where Bell is attacking the steelers organization as part of a smear campaign?

I never heard a person not signing his contract and collecting zero money as 'shenanigans'

Shenanigans?    Yes, there were Shenanigans.....you have to look at it from the Owners eyes.  They are the ones that are signing the players.  I would not want a player who did that to his organization on my team.  Actually if Bell just said, I am not signing the franchise tender than that would be fine, but he is playing games here and everyone knows it.  Is he showing up this week?  next week?  I wonder.  I would not want him on my team I can tell you that.  The Steelers too are one of the most success organizations in NFL history.  If you can not play there than you can not play anywhere.  You think he'd fit with the Browns?  I bet he wants to play for a winner.  He is on a winner.  MY guess too is that Bell's contract demands were crazy high.  Pittsburgh is willing to let him go this off season but Bell is playing games.  They are playing games back.  Bell will not win.

6 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

Wrong, the Steelers seem to be doing just fine with Connor at the helm so I don't think they care where the blame falls (ethical or not).

On the other hand the jury is still out on whether or not this plays well for Bell, we shall see (my guess is not..).

Steelers doing fine with Connoers is irrelevant to the point that each side are exercising their rights yet you hold one side accountable and not the other.

Sorry mate but  you keep arguing irrelevant points or maybe you don't actually understand what you are saying to begin with?

He got screwed by the Steelers,was obviously hoping that Conner would fail.  You can't franchise your best player 3 times in a row. I am basically done talking about his ROS stats 

1 minute ago, StuPitt said:

Shenanigans?    Yes, there were Shenanigans.....you have to look at it from the Owners eyes.  They are the ones that are signing the players.  I would not want a player who did that to his organization on my team.  Actually if Bell just said, I am not signing the franchise tender than that would be fine, but he is playing games here and everyone knows it.  Is he showing up this week?  next week?  I wonder.  I would not want him on my team I can tell you that.  The Steelers too are one of the most success organizations in NFL history.  If you can not play there than you can not play anywhere.  You think he'd fit with the Browns?  I bet he wants to play for a winner.  He is on a winner.  MY guess too is that Bell's contract demands were crazy high.  Pittsburgh is willing to let him go this off season but Bell is playing games.  They are playing games back.  Bell will not win.

You are not making any logical sense.

He hasn't signed the tender therefore he doesnt have to say anything.

Same as the Steelers tagged him without telling him.

issuing the tag is an act of choice , not signing the tag is an act of choice

The choice of actions by both sides are evident, therefore neither side needs to "say anything"

that is what contracts are for, everything that is relevant is in the contract to be agreed upon by both parties, not 'the saying" of anything

So there are no "shenanigans".

i'm not sure how you can determine that one side is doing shenaigans  when they are exercising their rights within the framework of league policy and procedure

13 minutes ago, dashoe said:

After all Junior Seau was a great guy played the role  and is now enjoying all of the money he made in his career. . . .oh wait sec. . .is he?

On one hand people want those in high profile positions to 'stand for something' and when they do they get destroyed for it PR wise because the negative bias is they are ungrateful. NFL teams make billions squeezing the public in tax subsidized stadium deals, high ticket prices and over priced merch and when a player fights for his millions the player is the ingrate and should just play for what he is being paid because it's more than what the ag American makes? Do you apply the same logic to NFL owners, just be glad the city allows you to have a stadium there?

These are excellent points, fantasy nonsense aside.

22 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Gonna reply to this even though I have you ignored and I don't know why Rotoworld gives me alerts still when you quote me. 

I don't get what Seau has to do with any of this. It is well known nowadays that concussions can potentially lead to mental health issues down the road. Football players know that the game has risks, no different than some other careers that pay far, far, FAR less than NFL players get paid. 

How can you sit and complain about football injuries when you agreed to a contract to play the game despite knowing the potential long term effects? I'm supposed to feel bad? If you don't like it, retire. Do something with your degree.

I don't blame players for the money they make. Do I think they're overpaid? Yes. Is it their fault? No. It's my fault and everyone else on this board. They're entertainers at the end of the day. But to think that he needs to worry about "life after football", well he should have thought of that before he started playing and before he started partying it up in Miami. I don't make millions but I can still have a good time not blowing dollars on women in a strip club. 

Bell should just shut the f--- up and, if he really cared about life after football, made $1 million dollars per game and put it into a savings account or invested it. 

9 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Gonna reply to this even though I have you ignored and I don't know why Rotoworld gives me alerts still when you quote me. 

I don't get what Seau has to do with any of this. It is well known nowadays that concussions can potentially lead to mental health issues down the road. Football players know that the game has risks, no different than some other careers that pay far, far, FAR less than NFL players get paid. 

How can you sit and complain about football injuries when you agreed to a contract to play the game despite knowing the potential long term effects? I'm supposed to feel bad? If you don't like it, retire. Do something with your degree.

I don't blame players for the money they make. Do I think they're overpaid? Yes. Is it their fault? No. It's my fault and everyone else on this board. They're entertainers at the end of the day. But to think that he needs to worry about "life after football", well he should have thought of that before he started playing and before he started partying it up in Miami. I don't make millions but I can still have a good time not blowing dollars on women in a strip club. 

Bell should just shut the f--- up and, if he really cared about life after football, made $1 million dollars per game and put it into a savings account or invested it. 

uhhh i think he knows the risk, which is why he's holding out for the best contract possible lol

5 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

uhhh i think he knows the risk, which is why he's holding out for the best contract possible lol

Which failed miserably because now teams see that either A. Conner is better than Bell, dropping his value or B. the Steelers system is great for backs, dropping his value. 

This whole thing backfired in his face. 

Just now, oliminator123 said:

Which failed miserably because now teams see that either A. Conner is better than Bell, dropping his value or B. the Steelers system is great for backs, dropping his value. 

This whole thing backfired big league in his face. 

Speculation

we won’t know whether it backfired until Bell is signed.  

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

yes i noticed the same thing too with you on my  ignore. . .:lol:

Seau is relevant because he was a wake up call to  many players where they are adjusting to the known risk of long term mental injuries and disabilites into their process of how long they play and how much they play for. 

Again you are not making sense. 

You are focusing your points on HOW he spends his money.

How he spends his money is irrelevant to what he believes he should EARN for his function and production on the field and the market for them

I think many are losing sight of Bell did not sign a contract and is not being compensated. 

He is betting on himself and taking a calculated risk.

Obviously he has a differnt view on what his risk/reward paradigm should be than you do

19 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Simple logic 

LeVeon believes what is best for LeVeon and his family is to hold out. 

It doesn’t matter what anybody else believes 

LeVeon is holding out .. end of story

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

yes i noticed the same thing too with you on my  ignore. . .:lol:

Seau is relevant because he was a wake up call to  many players where they are adjusting to the known risk of long term mental injuries and disabilites into their process of how long they play and how much they play for. 

Again you are not making sense. 

You are focusing your points on HOW he spends his money.

How he spends his money is irrelevant to what he believes he should EARN for his function and production on the field and the market for them

I think many are losing sight of Bell did not sign a contract and is not being compensated. 

He is betting on himself and taking a calculated risk.

Obviously he has a differnt view on what his risk/reward paradigm should be than you do

How is Seau relevant again? Just cause he learned he had CTI?

Just now, urban2014 said:

How is Seau relevant again? Just cause he learned he had CTI?

Dashoe talks in riddles sometimes lol

basically- Seau was the poster child for CTE.    Maximizing your career length for whatever they would pay you was no longer seen as smart.    Marked a shift in player mindsets when it comes to contracts.   

Its a fair statement- if somewhat limited in scope.  

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

He was a linebacker.  Sure RBs get hit the same amount, but Bell isn't Seau . 

Is seau an isolated incident or have there been others?   Is it just linebackers?   

7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Dashoe talks in riddles sometimes lol

basically- Seau was the poster child for CTE.    Maximizing your career length for whatever they would pay you was no longer seen as smart.    Marked a shift in player mindsets when it comes to contracts.   

Its a fair statement- if somewhat limited in scope.  

not riddles. . I make dots. . . where i don't see the need to always make the effort to the draw the lines to show how they may connect. . .:lol:

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

People don't want athletes to stand for something. They only want athletes to stand for what they the fan think is good. If the athletes decide to take a stand on something the fan disagrees with, they get no mercy. Take a stand on something the fan disagrees with and you're 'selfish', 'disrespectful', 'ignorant', 'unappreciative', etc etc. Way too many NFL fans have zero ability to respect differing opinions on 'take a stand' sort of issues. As you point to, when the fan is upset about the player, the millionaire player is greedy/selfish/out of touch with hard workin' Mericans/etc. It's the owners who are the good guys then :D 

The mantra from the upset people isn't 'shut up and play ball', it's 'shut up unless you're saying exactly what I want you to say and nothing else'.

9 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He was a linebacker.  Sure RBs get hit the same amount, but Bell isn't Seau . 

Are you seriously trying to make a distinction between position played and CTE as if to minimize the relevancy when players assess their career choices?

Yes rb's have been diagnosed with CTE too

The physics of the game apply to every player on the field, if you want to make a distinction then possibly it would be which positions have a higher probability vs others.

Also due to the decades long suppression of research by the NFL only recently has funding been provided due to public outcry,  to do significant research on the matter. 

it's more than linebackers, Aaron hernandez was a high profile confirmed case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Archived