NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Just now, Brotherbock said:

People don't want athletes to stand for something. They only want athletes to stand for what they the fan think is good. If the athletes decide to take a stand on something the fan disagrees with, they get no mercy. Take a stand on something the fan disagrees with and you're 'selfish', 'disrespectful', 'ignorant', 'unappreciative', etc etc. Way too many NFL fans have zero ability to respect differing opinions on 'take a stand' sort of issues. As you point to, when the fan is upset about the player, the millionaire player is greedy/selfish/out of touch with hard workin' Mericans/etc. It's the owners who are the good guys then :D 

The mantra from the upset people isn't 'shut up and play ball', it's 'shut up unless you're saying exactly what I want you to say and nothing else'.

So fans all think alike?    We have universal views on player stances even though we can’t agree on anything else in society....lol

It has much more to do with IMAGE-  Perceived harm to the franchise/business.  These are businesses you know.  

And disagreeing with a players stance doesn’t suddenly elevate the owner to saint status.   

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Are you seriously trying to make a distinction between position played and CTE as if to minimize the relevancy when players assess their career choices?

Yes rb's have been diagnosed with CTE too

The physics of the game apply to every player on the field, if you want to make a distinction then possibly it would be which positions have a higher probability vs others.

Also due to the decades long suppression of research by the NFL only recently has funding been provided due to public outcry,  to do significant research on the matter. 

it's more than linebackers, Aaron hernandez was a high profile confirmed case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

He was also a killer but ok

16 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Is seau an isolated incident or have there been others?   Is it just linebackers?   

lots of players across various positions have been dianosed with CTE  from NFL-High school and this has been done with limited data and research. Seau was jus the big name guy the public recognized who died tragically and  put a face to the issue 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

So fans all think alike?    We have universal views on player stances even though we can’t agree on anything else in society....lol

It has much more to do with IMAGE-  Perceived harm to the franchise/business.  These are businesses you know.  

And disagreeing with a players stance doesn’t suddenly elevate the owner to saint status.   

So...you don't understand when people talk about general attitudes of populations? If someone says "Libertarians vote in such and such ways", do you actually think they mean every. single. Libertarian? You don't at all comprehend talk of averages, trends, bell curves? 

That's the only reason I can think of for why you would have responded to me with that first question.

3 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

So...you don't understand when people talk about general attitudes of populations? If someone says "Libertarians vote in such and such ways", do you actually think they mean every. single. Libertarian? You don't at all comprehend talk of averages, trends, bell curves? 

That's the only reason I can think of for why you would have responded to me with that first question.

Bell curve?   Is that what we’re calling Le’Veons “negotiating tactics”?   :P

Bell curve?   Is that what we’re calling Le’Veons “negotiating tactics”?   :P

Aaaand now I have coffee down the front of my shirt. Nicely played. :D

(Although it might actually be what they are calling his waist measurement after all this time off!)

1 minute ago, Brotherbock said:

Aaaand now I have coffee down the front of my shirt. Nicely played. :D

(Although it might actually be what they are calling his waist measurement after all this time off!)

BOOOM!!!!!

i didn’t mean to poo poo your post- you made some good points.    I think theres a disconnect between individuals opinions and what a business like an nfl franchise sees as “PC”.   

8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

BOOOM!!!!!

i didn’t mean to poo poo your post- you made some good points.    I think theres a disconnect between individuals opinions and what a business like an nfl franchise sees as “PC”.   

Totally agree, and sorry if I sounded snarky in replying. Wasn't meaning to be a jerk. 

I agree that the franchises are acting (mostly) out of business sense. Or what they think is business sense. Mostly. I don't want to call out the dogs on both sides of another issue (it rhymes with Rational Manthem), but for example I think a guy like Jerry Jones often lets personal feelings mar his business sense. It would likely hurt Cowboys finances, given who their fan base is primarily, if Jones brought in a certain player who is currently suing the league. But even if it would help his finances, I think Jerry is personally so angry about that whole deal that he'd never do it.

But fans' perspectives is another issue. And NFL fans, generally, just do not want to hear players expressing opinions about non-football issues--unless they are very popular views. Compare that to NBA fans--I don't follow the NBA all that closely, but those fans are more accepting of those players making statements about non-basketball issues, even when they don't agree with the statements. The demographics of the fan bases are very different in a lot of ways, so there would be explanations why that is. 

But in general NFL fans 'don't want to hear it', unless they also already agree with it. And if you say it, and they don't agree with it, you're not just 'wrong', there's also something 'bad' about you, about your character. (selfish, entitled, disrespectful, etc)

And to be clear, a lot of just plain human beings think that way. But NFL fans tend to exemplify that attitude.

What's the average record for FF teams who drafted Bell? Where can I look this up? I don't see Bell's name on the Yahoo MVPs. James Conner is #1. Most likely, he is paired with a RB the likes of Saquon (like me). I'm 7-1, but I didn't draft Bell.

43 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

So it's not an fact that Aaron Hernandez killed people? 

i see you want to go this let's be clever  route.  . sooo. . . technically he did not kill people.

He was convicted of killing a person  :lol:

44 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

But fans' perspectives is another issue. And NFL fans, generally, just do not want to hear players expressing opinions about non-football issues--unless they are very popular views.

I do agree with that. There's a certain group of people that when athletes, or actors, or pretty much anyone who is an entertainer opens their mouth and an opinion they don't like falls out, act offended that an athlete or actor has an opinion. Yet they never apply that rationale to themselves. "You know, Cletus, you're a taxidermist. I expect you to stuff my trophy buck. I don't need to hear your opinions on the earned income tax credit!"

That said, I think the Bell situation is different. He's fighting for a contract, not opining about politics. Basically there's only two groups of people who were upset about what Bell has done:

1) Pittsburgh fans.

2) People who drafted Bell in fantasy football.

And the first group doesn't really care anymore, because the team is winning and Conner is killing it. 

4 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

I do agree with that. There's a certain group of people that when athletes, or actors, or pretty much anyone who is an entertainer opens their mouth and an opinion they don't like falls out, act offended that an athlete or actor has an opinion. Yet they never apply that rationale to themselves. "You know, Cletus, you're a taxidermist. I expect you to stuff my trophy buck. I don't need to hear your opinions on the earned income tax credit!"

That said, I think the Bell situation is different. He's fighting for a contract, not opining about politics. Basically there's only two groups of people who were upset about what Bell has done:

1) Pittsburgh fans.

And the first group doesn't really care anymore, because the team is winning and Conner is killing it. 

And the second group is just a bunch of vultures who hang out on shady interweb boards and curse each other over magick foosball. :(

2 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

1) Pittsburgh fans.

I sometimes hear people complain about the Cletuses of the world bringing up politics at work, but I never hear them say derogatory stuff about Cletus' character :)

I think there is a third group, particularly in the (admittedly very little of what I've seen of the) social media world. People who are just offended that a guy making millions would fail to fully appreciate his millions, or upset that Bell doesn't think that his millions are a reason to not complain about anything. 

It's tricky, right? On the one hand, it does feel right to tell the millionaire to shut up when he's complaining about how long he has to spend at the office. But on the other hand, we also secretly know that money and happiness are two very different things, and that I complain, and I feel justified, and I have tons more money than a Honduran coffee farmer. :) Cognitive dissonance is a beotch.

And the second group is just a bunch of vultures who hang out on shady interweb boards and curse each other over magick foosball. :(

. . .with glee :lol:

7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

...over what is essentially a betting game, sometimes even without money - so rather than blaming themselves for making the wrong bet, they blame the player.

Nice, eh? :)

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

...over what is essentially a betting game, sometimes even without money - so rather than blaming themselves for making the wrong bet, they blame the player.

Nice, eh? :)

D*mnit, that dude ruined my Sports Accounting Game!

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

LeVeon is doing what he believes is good for LeVeon and his family. 

Some people might not like what he is doing but I have to believe we all should respect that it is his decision. 

11 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

I think there is a third group, particularly in the (admittedly very little of what I've seen of the) social media world. People who are just offended that a guy making millions would fail to fully appreciate his millions, or upset that Bell doesn't think that his millions are a reason to not complain about anything. 

And we're all leaving out the much larger 4th group...

The people who need to feel offended or outraged about SOMETHING at all times, and vacillate between whatever the TV tells them to be outraged about today. 

4 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

And we're all leaving out the much larger 4th group...

The people who need to feel offended or outraged about SOMETHING at all times, and vacillate between whatever the TV tells them to be outraged about today. 

Wait, are YOU TALKIN ABOUT ME!?!1!?!11!!!1!eleven

Archived