NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, shakestreet said:

I come to believe LeVeon will not be playing football this year. 

So me trading for LeVeon a month ago was not a brilliant move on my part. 

It's a gamble man. 

Much of fantasy is. 

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

LeVeon is doing what he believes is good for LeVeon and his family. 

Some people might not like what he is doing but I have to believe we all should respect that it is his decision. 

I respect the situation that Bell faced, but I do not respect his decision.  If his goal was to continue playing NFL football and sign a large, long-term contract before the 2019 season, it was the wrong decision.  Bell's one and only play was to do exactly what Kirk Cousins did.  Namely, sign the tag prior to training camp and play his hardest without complaint for all of 2018.

Then Bell would have been 27 years old and one of the greatest RBs to ever reach free agency.  If Bell suffered a terrible injury in 2018 it would not have worked, of course.  He would have had to assume that risk.  But he would have the net if $14 million in his bank account, too.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If Bell suffered a terrible injury in 2018 it would not have worked, of course.  He would have had to assume that risk.  But he would have the net if $14 million in his bank account, too.

If Bell signed the tag like most other players do,  the owners will never re-negotiate the CBA which Bell sees as unfair and wants to change.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I respect the situation that Bell faced, but I do not respect his decision.  If his goal was to continue playing NFL football and sign a large, long-term contract before the 2019 season, it was the wrong decision.  Bell's one and only play was to do exactly what Kirk Cousins did.  Namely, sign the tag prior to training camp and play his hardest without complaint for all of 2018.

Then Bell would have been 27 years old and one of the greatest RBs to ever reach free agency.  If Bell suffered a terrible injury in 2018 it would not have worked, of course.  He would have had to assume that risk.  But he would have the net if $14 million in his bank account, too.

Comparing the situation of a QB franchised to a RB is silly. Much easier for Cousins to avoid injury than a RB approaching 400 touches per season. We all (well most of us) know what happens to RBs as they age when they are asked to handle that much of a load. It makes perfect sense for Bell to sit out and preserve his body in order to get long term security. If he were to play and approach the amount of touches Pittsburgh likely would have given him, his risk of injury increases exponentially, as does the likelihood of his career being cut short and not getting long term security.

IMO, Bell has made the right move, but he couldve handled it differently by communicating his plans to his teammates. But even then, maybe that would've made his stance less powerful. Obviously Connor having success makes it easier for the organization to hope he stays away, but that success could not have been predicted.

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

If Bell signed the tag like most other players do,  the owners will never re-negotiate the CBA which Bell sees as unfair and wants to change.

Well that is simply not going to happen.  And nothing Bell did, could have done, or will do can change that.

Just now, Godfather131 said:

Comparing the situation of a QB franchised to a RB is silly. Much easier for Cousins to avoid injury than a RB approaching 400 touches per season. We all (well most of us) know what happens to RBs as they age when they are asked to handle that much of a load. It makes perfect sense for Bell to sit out and preserve his body in order to get long term security. If he were to play and approach the amount of touches Pittsburgh likely would have given him, his risk of injury increases exponentially, as does the likelihood of his career being cut short and not getting long term security.

IMO, Bell has made the right move, but he couldve handled it differently by communicating his plans to his teammates. But even then, maybe that would've made his stance less powerful. Obviously Connor having success makes it easier for the organization to hope he stays away, but that success could not have been predicted.

Yes Bell and Cousins play different positions but they both play football.  No front office worth its salt is going to pay big bucks for any player who is not 100% committed to playing football.  Remember when Ricky Williams quit a few years back?  He ran out of money and had to come back.  But, by then, he had to settle for a lot less money.

If Bell actually just does not want to play football anymore, and if he doesn't I certainly cannot blame him, then this move was probably the best for him.

Per I. Rapoport retweet from Jamison Hensley:

Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale on absent Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell: "There are a lot of stats [since 2015] that the Steelers are actually better without him. That might be why he’s riding a jet ski down in Miami right now."

Such an interesting thing to state publicly from another teams defensive coordinator....casting fantasy implications asides, this soap opera has been a lot of fun thus far....

P.S.  I still don't know how to properly post tweets in this forum.

3 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale on absent Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell: "There are a lot of stats [since 2015] that the Steelers are actually better without him. That might be why he’s riding a jet ski down in Miami right now."

Such an interesting thing to state publicly from another teams defensive coordinator....casting fantasy implications asides, this soap opera has been a lot of fun thus far....

Wait, what?

Wink Martindale?

d8ca0482d02b6d5b4b8154193f461446.jpg

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well that is simply not going to happen.  And nothing Bell did, could have done, or will do can change that.

Directly? No

In a chain of events sorta of way? I could see it. This whole thing has put the Franchise tag in the limelight. While it only affects the top 2-3% of players, its the top 2-3 percent of players that set the market values and bring in most of the money. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

regarding the tweets, click on the tweet and copy and paste from your browser the address of the tweet into the message body here and it embeds for you.

2 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Seems to me the cutoff is week 13. If he doesn't report by then, Conner is gonna be safe for the entirety of the fantasy playoffs. Just 4 more weeks folks.

And Conner is the only person that has been im contact with Bell, Bell sending him messages after every score and such... hmmm could it be that Bell may not want take the shine away from Conner?? 

Earl Thomas, Roster Exemption, Teammates (OL) making remarks, etc etc have pushed Bell to sit out all year? I hope so, its been a hell of a ride

6 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Seems to me the cutoff is week 13. If he doesn't report by then, Conner is gonna be safe for the entirety of the fantasy playoffs. Just 4 more weeks folks.

The cutoff is 4 PM ET on Nov 13. Article 10, section 15, part a of the CBA:

(a) In the event that a player who is designated and tendered as a Franchise Player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00pm New York time, the player shall be prohibited from playing football in the NFL for the remainder of that League Year, absent a showing to the Impartial Arbitrator of extreme Club or extreme personal hardship. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within five days of the application, and shall consider all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

That's Nov 13.

That date has been written in stone here and referenced many times since September. 

If Bell is trying to hold out for a long term deal he's delusional. He's got over 1200 carries on his odometer (plus all the receiver work) and a couple of knee injuries. Statistically speaking he's got 2 good seasons left, barring injury. (google NFL 1800 carries). The best he can do is a front loaded short term contract.

Not sure what his end game is. Maybe he's just going to sit out the season completely rest and let his body heal/recover. He's only 26 years old. Whatever the case is I had a chance to acquire him in dynasty, but the price tag was too high. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, bwarbiany said:

The cutoff is 4 PM ET on Nov 13. Article 10, section 15, part a of the CBA:

That's Nov 13.

That date has been written in stone here and referenced many times since September. 

The arbitration language still worries me. I don't know what that entails. Does the player get to play while arbitration happens?

11 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

The arbitration language still worries me. I don't know what that entails. Does the player get to play while arbitration happens?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's talking about extreme personal hardship. Unless he intends to sign and is abducted by aliens [or a rabid James Conner fantasy owner] from Nov 12-14th to make sure he can't sign, I'm pretty sure he can't show extreme personal hardship given that he's had every chance for 10 weeks to sign. 

Don't worry about that language. To even bring that up is reaching.

3 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's talking about extreme personal hardship. Unless he intends to sign and is abducted by aliens [or a rabid James Conner fantasy owner] from Nov 12-14th to make sure he can't sign, I'm pretty sure he can't show extreme personal hardship given that he's had every chance for 10 weeks to sign. 

Don't worry about that language. To even bring that up is reaching.

Alright then. November 13th it is! 13 more days of Christmas. At least!

Archived