Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook


afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well that is simply not going to happen.  And nothing Bell did, could have done, or will do can change that.

 

Most of us don't know how the future is going to play out unless you have psychic powers the rest of us don't possess.

Once Bell signs his next contract and a new CBA is re-negotiated,  we will all know if it had an effect and more importantly if more players follow suit.

 

Nov. 13th will certainly clear things up a bit this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes Bell and Cousins play different positions but they both play football.  No front office worth its salt is going to pay big bucks for any player who is not 100% committed to playing football.  Remember when Ricky Williams quit a few years back?  He ran out of money and had to come back.  But, by then, he had to settle for a lot less money.

 

If Bell actually just does not want to play football anymore, and if he doesn't I certainly cannot blame him, then this move was probably the best for him.

 

If I am running an organization, I'm not paying top dollar to the RB position (because of injury risk, shorter shelf life, easier to replace, etc) either. That has nothing to do with Bell wanting or not wanting to pay football though. 

 

However, the flip side of that is that for those very same reasons, it's in the player's best business interest, to make sure they get their long term security because while I wouldn't pay top dollar, SOMEONE ELSE WILL.

 

Likely scenario is that Bell sits out this season and gets a long term deal as a FA this offseason. It won't be from Pittsburgh and it won't be from New England or other teams that don't shell out large contracts to RBs, but guess what, it only takes one team to give him the contract.

 

Let's pin this and revisit next season when Bell is on a new team and no longer being run into the ground while on year to year deals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lebowski54 said:

Any time my divisional foes defensive coordinator is implying what’s best for my offense, I’m probably going to go the opposite route. Of course that guy doesn’t want to see Bell back on the field 

I disagree. I'd love to see an out of game shape Bell lining up versus a hot Conner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kaytwo said:

I think it's clear that Bell's plan is to spend the next three years on prove it deals to barely recover the $14 million he threw away this season. Guy's a genius. Mad respect.

QFT.  One of the greatest posts in the history of this thread.  18 stars out of 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

 

If I am running an organization, I'm not paying top dollar to the RB position (because of injury risk, shorter shelf life, easier to replace, etc) either.

 

Although if I'm running an NFL team, I'm not paying a 1st rounder for no Amari Cooper.

 

Not disagreeing with you on anything. Just pointing that out. People make bad decisions all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bailed on Bell in my redraft league. There's still no sign of him returning, and at best he'd get a timeshare at RB with Conner doing so well. I want starters in my lineup. Someone cut Dalvin Cook in my league, so I flipped Bell for Cook. At least I'm sure he'll show up, and if he's healthy again in a couple of weeks he'll get carries and can potentially help me down the stretch. At 5-3, I'm not bailing on the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 99-percent-sure said:

Bailed on Bell in my redraft league. There's still no sign of him returning, and at best he'd get a timeshare at RB with Conner doing so well. I want starters in my lineup. Someone cut Dalvin Cook in my league, so I flipped Bell for Cook. At least I'm sure he'll show up, and if he's healthy again in a couple of weeks he'll get carries and can potentially help me down the stretch. At 5-3, I'm not bailing on the season.

 

This sounds like a great league.  I was going to judge you having Ertz and Gronk but then I see you have Legatron so mad respect regardless of all else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I disagree. I'd love to see an out of game shape Bell lining up versus a hot Conner. 

But you’re assuming Bell is out of shape. Apparently he’s in great condition right now as he’s been training and taken up boxing for conditioning. Plus, watch Conner more closely. He struggled running in multiple games already. Obviously he’s had some very big runs, but on almost every single TD or big run, he’s virtually UNTOUCHED. Dude is not making phenomenal moves or doing anything extraordinary. Personally I think Bell has always been overrated due to how good the system makes RBs look, but he’s still a superior RB to Conner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

But you’re assuming Bell is out of shape. Apparently he’s in great condition right now as he’s been training and taken up boxing for conditioning. Plus, watch Conner more closely. He struggled running in multiple games already. Obviously he’s had some very big runs, but on almost every single TD or big run, he’s virtually UNTOUCHED. Dude is not making phenomenal moves or doing anything extraordinary. Personally I think Bell has always been overrated due to how good the system makes RBs look, but he’s still a superior RB to Conner. 

 

Yea? last time I saw him he looked like the Titanic on a jet ski in Miami. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

But you’re assuming Bell is out of shape. Apparently he’s in great condition right now as he’s been training and taken up boxing for conditioning. Plus, watch Conner more closely. He struggled running in multiple games already. Obviously he’s had some very big runs, but on almost every single TD or big run, he’s virtually UNTOUCHED. Dude is not making phenomenal moves or doing anything extraordinary. Personally I think Bell has always been overrated due to how good the system makes RBs look, but he’s still a superior RB to Conner. 

He hasn't played football in months. And doesn't know the new offense. He is behind. Don't care if he is in the best physical shape of his life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HTM said:

 

Yea? last time I saw him he looked like the Titanic on a jet ski in Miami. 

That was from August. He knew he wouldn’t be back until mid season. He’ll be coming back in much better shape than he did last year and that only took him a few weeks to get back to form. And someone with his genetics is able to get into shape very quickly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lebowski54 said:

That was from August. He knew he wouldn’t be back until mid season. He’ll be coming back in much better shape than he did last year and that only took him a few weeks to get back to form. And someone with his genetics is able to get into shape very quickly 

 

Well, actually, it was September and I haven't seen anything more recent to indicate he is in "great condition." Other than you saying he is in "great condition" of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lebowski54 said:

That was from August. He knew he wouldn’t be back until mid season. He’ll be coming back in much better shape than he did last year and that only took him a few weeks to get back to form. And someone with his genetics is able to get into shape very quickly 

 

#LebowskiFacts

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

 

Although if I'm running an NFL team, I'm not paying a 1st rounder for no Amari Cooper.

 

Not disagreeing with you on anything. Just pointing that out. People make bad decisions all the time.

 

Absolutely, and that's the point.

 

SOMEONE will give Bell the deal (or close to it) that he wants this upcoming offseason. For some to sit there and say he's a jerk for sitting out, he should take what he gets, blah blah aren't seeing the big picture. Just because the Steelers aren't willing to overpay a RB (them being right or wrong there is irrelevant) doesn't mean another team won't.

 

You would think that this would be obvious to people, but for some reason I will never understand, it isn't.

 

The Patriots didn't want to pay Chandler Jones a top contract years ago, before they traded him to AZ. Arizona DID pay him a high dollar deal. By some people's thinking, just bc NE wouldn't, then no one would.

 

All it takes is one team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

Any time my divisional foes defensive coordinator is implying what’s best for my offense, I’m probably going to go the opposite route. Of course that guy doesn’t want to see Bell back on the field 

Point noted, but that's an obvious take on what was quoted...so Steelers management would logically disregard that comment with zero weight, as they would've came to your same conclusion...so what was the purpose of the coordinator's statement.   Maybe there's is some truth in that he actually believes what he stated.  Anyways, fun stuff....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

See ya in 2019 maybe. Possibly with the Jets but forget about this year.

 

I agree with this. New blurb out saying Jets to be aggressive in team building this offseason and to capitalize on Darnold being on rookie deal. I could easily see them handing a contract to Bell. Or the Raiders. Point is, someone will. And at that point, I expect all those on this thread who have shown little understanding of business and how to maximize your earnings long term to come forward and admit how far off base they were.

 

I highly doubt that happens though lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SHOTS FIRED:

 

Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale said today that statistically speaking, the Steelers’ offense has performed better in a lot of respects without Bell on the field.

“There are a lot of stats [since 2015] that the Steelers are actually better without him,” Martindale said, via ESPN. “That might be why he’s riding a jet ski down in Miami right now.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

Plus, watch Conner more closely. He struggled running in multiple games already. Obviously he’s had some very big runs, but on almost every single TD or big run, he’s virtually UNTOUCHED. Dude is not making phenomenal moves or doing anything extraordinary. Personally I think Bell has always been overrated due to how good the system makes RBs look, but he’s still a superior RB to Conner. 

I'm not going to argue against this, cause to a certain degree, I don't care.  Bottom line is this: in 2018, Conner is putting up good/great numbers.  Whether's you can attribute that to 2018 O-Line, or it's inherent Conner awesomeness, or good offensive play calling, or Big Ben getting more into a groove...it's too multi-factorial.  What matters I think to the coaches and the front office is: they've been recently winning, they are in first place, and Conner is contributing in a positive fashion.  If Conner stops being effective (and it's perceived that it's due to his own shortcomings), I'm sure Steelers will have no qualms looking for a replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

 

I agree with this. New blurb out saying Jets to be aggressive in team building this offseason and to capitalize on Darnold being on rookie deal. I could easily see them handing a contract to Bell. Or the Raiders. Point is, someone will. And at that point, I expect all those on this thread who have shown little understanding of business and how to maximize your earnings long term to come forward and admit how far off base they were.

 

I highly doubt that happens though lol.

I am not as much concerned about next year, since I only play redraft.  I think Bell's manuevers will backfire and hit him right in the wallett, but I will happily enter the 2019 Lev Bell thread to eat crow and/or laugh at whatever dumb team overpaid for a guy who was out of football for a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...