NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Report today the Steelers are going to slap him with the franchise tag.

I wouldn't sign.  Or I'd "retire" for a year.  Whatever it takes to get out of Pittsburgh.  He is the best offensive weapon in the league, they're putting 400+ touches per year onto his body, then give him these one year contracts with no guarantees.  Utter disrespect.  From a business standpoint, I get what the Steelers are doing.  And so Le'Veon should also treat it like a business, and refuse to play another snap for a team who doesn't value him appropriately.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steelers are making themselves look bad.  They are starting to look like "that" franchise who is always going to be a pain when it comes to getting deals for players.

Bell is currently 12th as far as active players with touches.  McFadden, Sproles, Charles, and JStew he will probably pass.  Guy will be 8th of active players.  Another season like last year and he will be in mid-60's all time.  Two more and in the 40's.

There's no doubt he's a great back but I'd have trouble offering that contract if I'm Pittsburgh. Especially in a pass first league. I just don't think you need a "superstar" RB to win a Super Bowl. 

Pittsburgh absolutely should have tagged him- you dont let a guy like Bell walk in his prime.  Also Bell should also absolutely be miffed at the tag.  He's definitely worth more than the tag, and its fair and reasonable for him to not want to burn out with another huge touch season.    I really wanted him to get to free agency though- just to see what he'd bring in.  I feel like someone would've given him AB money, for sure, with all the cap space floating around

3 hours ago, South Carolina said:

There's no doubt he's a great back but I'd have trouble offering that contract if I'm Pittsburgh. Especially in a pass first league. I just don't think you need a "superstar" RB to win a Super Bowl. 

Since 2000 how many teams actually had a superstar RB that won the Superbowl.  I can only think of 1 in Faulk maybe 2 if you count Lynch.  I still think Pitt or some other team will pay him big money.  But to your point there is a reason RB is the only position that has not grown with the Cap.  

As a guy most likely keeping Bell I'm torn. On the plus side with the tag he most likely stays on the best offense in football and the Steelers have no incentive to limit his touches since they're not tied to him after this year. 

On the downside he's disgruntled, sits, or walks, all of which create a huge amount of uncertainty. I'd hate to see him go somewhere with a bad line or poor offensive system for him. 

My bet is he stays in Pittsburgh, has another monster year, is in the thick of the AFC Championship hunt and we go through this whole thing again next season.

3 hours ago, youngrice said:

Since 2000 how many teams actually had a superstar RB that won the Superbowl.  I can only think of 1 in Faulk maybe 2 if you count Lynch.  I still think Pitt or some other team will pay him big money.  But to your point there is a reason RB is the only position that has not grown with the Cap.  

There are exceptions to the rule.  Imagine the Rams and Steelers without Gurley and Bell.  They are both in that Faulk territory.  They shouldn't be compared to other RBs which is basically what franchising does.

Steelers assigned the franchise tag to RB Le'Veon Bell.

It locks Bell into $14.5 million for 2018. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Bell has now made that his floor for average-annual value in long-term talks. The sides have until July 16 to reach an agreement. Absent a long-term deal, Bell is expected to again skip training camp. Both sides have said they want to get something done, but the high price of the tag and current league-wide running back economics are going to make talks extremely tricky.

If they don't get that deal by July 16th, I fully expect Bell to miss a lot of games this year.  He shouldn't play a snap for them until they give him what he's earned.

44 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

If they don't get that deal by July 16th, I fully expect Bell to miss a lot of games this year.  He shouldn't play a snap for them until they give him what he's earned.

Hahaha $14.5 million is an insult. What a crazy world we live in. Imagine if we had a time machine and went back to Bell’s senior year in high school and told him, look in 2018 you will make $14.5 million dollars. What do you think he would say to that? It’s just amazing if you think about how these guys all get corrupted.

9 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Hahaha $14.5 million is an insult. What a crazy world we live in. Imagine if we had a time machine and went back to Bell’s senior year in high school and told him, look in 2018 you will make $14.5 million dollars. What do you think he would say to that? It’s just amazing if you think about how these guys all get corrupted.

Poor guy will only make 14 million a year. How is he supposed to feed his family???

8 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

If he were smart, he would want to look at other RB contracts in the league, then look at his own volume and production, before jumping at the first big number he sees.

The fact is that he's the best skill position player in the league.  1 year for $14M is skittles when you look at all the long guaranteed deals other skill position players are getting.

It's labor vs ownership, and many people seem to excuse ownership when they play hardball.  The guys actually going out there and putting their bodies on the line?  "Come on, stop being greedy, just be happy with whatever they give you."  Nope, it's on labor to demand a salary that matches their worth.  And Bell's worth a lot more than 1 x $14M.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

If he were smart, he would want to look at other RB contracts in the league, then look at his own volume and production, before jumping at the first big number he sees.

The fact is that he's the best skill position player in the league.  1 year for $14M is skittles when you look at all the long guaranteed deals other skill position players are getting.

It's labor vs ownership, and many people seem to excuse ownership when they play hardball.  The guys actually going out there and putting their bodies on the line?  "Come on, stop being greedy, just be happy with whatever they give you."  Nope, it's on labor to demand a salary that matches their worth.  And Bell's worth a lot more than 1 x $14M.

Key words, "If he were smart". He's a football player. He gets hit in the head for a living.

34 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Stop comparing apples to oranges.  Why pay any player over a million dollars using that logic.

46 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Poor guy will only make 14 million a year. How is he supposed to feed his family???

do you actually think he takes home 14 mil? 

probably like 8 after taxes and other bs 

Bell will sign it and get paid 14.5 million.  It isn’t a matter of “respect” you don’t pay a guy, with the volume he’s had, to a multi year deal for that kind of money.

This will be Bell’s last year with the Steelers.  He can be replaced by a committee that’s almost as good...

When Bell has been injured or suspended, the backup filled in just fine.

When Bell and the Steelers part ways, someone will overpay him.

3 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Well to be fair to the ownership, we don’t know what they offered Bell and what he turned down.  I’m not saying I disagree but let’s not act like Bell is working in some coal mine.  

It’s just comical to hear how out of touch these guys get. Maybe it’s their agents fault? I remember Ty Law complaining about his existing contract stating ‘I gotta feed my family’.  I guess Bell will play the game and get a better contract but he’s not retiring and Steelers control his fate.

3 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Meanwhile, Osweiler got a 4 year, $72 million deal for playing what, half a season with Denver.

Yes, to the guy on the couch watching him he is overpaid and be happy blah blah blah.  Within his profession, he is severely underpaid, and that is what we are talking about here.

QBs have been getting grossly overpaid, and this guy who is touching the ball shouldn't see a very nice pay raise?  I don't get it.  Nick Foles just won the Super Bowl.  All those clowns paying Carr, Stafford, Flacco, etc., will attempt to justify it.  Jimmy G just did the same thing. 

QB salaries need to come down in my opinion, and this is hopefully the point where it starts equalizing.  There is no reason Bell should make less than Tyrod Taylor.  Their are backup QBs who make more than starting RBs in the NFL.  That is a joke.

• Sun Tzu changed the title to Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived